Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he goes for the big money than there's nothing we can do about it, this type of player is in demand everywhere. Esp with dominating teams who like to use bombing/overlapping wingbacks

I am however not that confident as many on here about Trippier, for me there's a serious gap in quality between him and Walker. But Poch will probably turn him into a world class wingback by the end of October.
Theres nothing we can do about it other then to reject the bid?

Theres nothing we can do about it other then to reject the bid?
We could but if a player wants out and his market value is inflated, we let him go. That's how we work and will continue to work. Specially with a manager that understands this philosophy. We are no longer a pure selling club but we aren't in a position to start refusing 50 million bids for our wingbacks either.

Now all of this is speculation obviously.

Ok fair enough but those quotes are not very clear as to what it is he is actually refering too. I assume he is saying that we don't have the finances of the 'big' teams so therefore we will stick to buying young players with the potential of being world stars. I doubt very much he is implying. we will sell our important players and use that money to unearth gems.
Not having the finances means not being able to pay wages, not really about buying players but there is obvious relation there too. Wages is the issue, which impacts on the current squad, hence the links (true or not). It's why we didn't sign Mane, Wijnaldum, Batshuayi etc..

We are doing things differently, we have to.

I would never begrudge a player for leaving to get more money (unless its to Woolwich), since these guys careers are short and chances to move in their prime years are few.
Levy will hold out for a certain price (would assume 35-50) and then we will buy a younger talent for half of that and be in a stronger place to improve the squad.

Was watching the NLD highlights again today and I did notice Walker was very animated on the bench after Dele missed his chance.

Perhaps his head has been turned by money and it could be the reason for Tripps coming in the side for the big games, however I definitely don't buy that there has been a major falling out or he is unhappy at the club. He quite simply wouldn't be anywhere near the bench let alone the pitch if that was the case.

If there is an issue, hopefully it gets resolved. If it cant be resolved, as long as he keeps showing passion for the club as he has throughout his time here, then i'll be content. I trust Poch!

I would never begrudge a player for leaving to get more money (unless its to Woolwich), since these guys careers are short and chances to move in their prime years are few.
Levy will hold out for a certain price (would assume 35-50) and then we will buy a younger talent for half of that and be in a stronger place to improve the squad.

Awww poor buggers with their short careers. Can only earn 90grand a week for at least 15 years.

So just the 70 Million pounds over a career then.....plus advertising and getting free top notch cars which they are paid to drive etc

Oh the worry......what will their poor kids do for food

IMO Walkers final ball is better than Trippiers. Trippier rarely finds a Spurs player. Walker doesn't do the Hollywood ball, he has great success in getting to the by-line and cutting it back, usually for Eriksen to do something special with it. Or he does what Rose and Davies does which is to take on the oppo fullback by coming inside and into the box.

It's certainly a fair shout that his short distribution in those positions is good, and his ability to tempt CB's out of position by beating the LB is excellent. Trippier is an excellent crosser of the ball though, and his assists per game ratio is astonishingly good for a defender:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/83078/History/Kieran-Trippier

Sure, assists don't tell the full story but he's clearly capable of finding players in shooting positions.

It's certainly a fair shout that his short distribution in those positions is good, and his ability to tempt CB's out of position by beating the LB is excellent. Trippier is an excellent crosser of the ball though, and his assists per game ratio is astonishingly good for a defender:

Sure, assists don't tell the full story but he's clearly capable of finding players in shooting positions.
Take out his stats from the Championship (which were fucking amazing!!) and his numbers are still behind Walkers.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69778/Show/Kyle-Walker

Combine the fact that his assists are also against 'lesser" teams is another factor to be considered too. Again, I know I'm boring and appear to be always down on Trippier especially his crossing, but from memory some of those assists he has to his name were also when he plays it short/pulling it back i.e. improved percentage, rather than the Hollywood ball whipped into to box that evades everyone including our own players. It looks good and everyone goes wow but we don't score many from them, may be one or two.

Defensively too he is poor, loses most of his duels. Poch though has got things set up where he is well covered and not isolated.

To balance it out, he doesn't hide, which I fucking love about him, always making himself available and without the natural pace of Walker his work ethic (along with Davies) is highly commendable. The other thing I love is his quick of thought, always alert and looking to take a quick free kick and throw-in, in fact against Fulham and at the weekend we scored because of a quick throw-in by him.

Last edited:
TBH I can't blame Walker if he leaves.

He could stay here, get paid less, work harder, not have a guaranteed starting spot, be under the pump from Tripper.

OR

He could go to a 'bigger' club and get paid more to not work as hard and have a guaranteed starting position.

I'd love him to stay and it is a bit of a cop out on his part but you can see why he would have his head turned when he was already in and out of the team.

He could stay here, get paid less, work harder, not have a guaranteed starting spot, be under the pump from Tripper.

OR

He could go to a 'bigger' club and get paid more to not work as hard and have a guaranteed starting position.

I'd love him to stay and it is a bit of a cop out on his part but you can see why he would have his head turned when he was already in and out of the team.
One of Poch's philosophies is that nobody is too big to sit on the bench. His approach is about building a team that wins games, not catering to individual talents or egos. If Walker feels money is more important then he should be allowed to go and do what he wishes elsewhere.

But my concern is that modern football being what it is, the more we do well the more the big money clubs will sniff round our players and offering them all kinds of money, money that Levy can't or won't compete with. Some will inevitably have their heads turned and I hope it doesn't impinge upon what we are building.

Awww poor buggers with their short careers. Can only earn 90grand a week for at least 15 years.

So just the 70 Million pounds over a career then.....plus advertising and getting free top notch cars which they are paid to drive etc

Oh the worry......what will their poor kids do for food
That's one way of looking at it, the other way is that you see what you earn in comparison to other people in the same type of business or your competitors. If you are a high performing individual in a high earning business but all the other high performers are getting a lot more money, it will sting. And the monetary value as such doesn't play that big of a role. Is the amount they earn disgusting in relation to other professions, yes. But does that change the way a player will look at his position in relation to his peers?
I guess there are some players that do but most won't and their managers will do the rest . And where's the treshhold for earning enough? You could argue that Vertonghen for instance should've not left Ajax then, as he was the captain of a team where he came up through the ranks and earned a decent living + always competing for the title and often in the CL.

But he came to Spurs, a club that history wise is comparable to Ajax, a club that did not compete for silverware and was not a steady CL participant. Yes, he came to a bigger league and better opponents but he also came for more money, like most of the players we find abroad. These are mercenaries and we are glad when they come to us but begrudge them when they do to us what we have them do to other teams.

Was watching the NLD highlights again today and I did notice Walker was very animated on the bench after Dele missed his chance.
Perhaps his head has been turned by money and it could be the reason for Tripps coming in the side for the big games, however I definitely don't buy that there has been a major falling out or he is unhappy at the club. He quite simply wouldn't be anywhere near the bench let alone the pitch if that was the case.
If there is an issue, hopefully it gets resolved. If it cant be resolved, as long as he keeps showing passion for the club as he has throughout his time here, then i'll be content. I trust Poch!

OR

One of Poch's philosophies is that nobody is too big to sit on the bench. His approach is about building a team that wins games, not catering to individual talents or egos. If Walker feels money is more important then he should be allowed to go and do what he wishes elsewhere.

But my concern is that modern football being what it is, the more we do well the more the big money clubs will sniff round our players and offering them all kinds of money, money that Levy can't or won't compete with. Some will inevitably have their heads turned and I hope it doesn't impinge upon what we are building.

I'm gonna take a positive approach to the 'Kyle Walker wants to leave' rumours ....

The reason the papers are citing this, is 'cos he's been left out of some high profile games... But this time last year, both he AND Rose were being alternated pretty much every week with Trippier and Davies... All four are still here!

But the main factor for his absence might have more to do with Rose still being out of the team...as I HONESTLY think Poch sees Walker & Rose as a partnership... And (unfortunately for them both) when one is out, the other suffers... It's like substituting a player tactically when another is sent off...
Davies & Trippier work better in a more traditional back 4 (as the last two games have shown) Walker's defending is called upon much more in a 4 than it is as a wing-back, where he can use his pace to attack...

Basically I think tactics and Rose's prolonged absence have dictated how Poch uses Trippier and Walker... With Rose out, I think it's suits Davies/back four more with Trippier opposite him.

If Walker is still missing out as and when Rose comes back, then we might have more of an idea of Poch's longer term plans...
But for now, I ain't panicking....

Besides, did you SEE Walkers reaction when we scored at Palace last week?
GettyImages-673507896.jpg

There he is... face contorted with sheer joy... leg up on the advertising hoarding to stop his momentum from flying into the Spurs crowd... if you ask me, that's not the expression of someone who wants out...

this is...
_92885543_ozil_sanchez_rex2.jpg

Last edited:

If you look past assists to chances created, he creates the third most on the team, and double the amount per 90 that Walker does.
:levyeyes:

Contracts, contracts, contracts. Long as we have all our star players on long term deal then Levy can rape whatever club comes in for our players and we can improve our squad further.

Main thing is to keep Poch and if some of our best players do want to leave sell them abroad if possible.

That's one way of looking at it, the other way is that you see what you earn in comparison to other people in the same type of business or your competitors. If you are a high performing individual in a high earning business but all the other high performers are getting a lot more money, it will sting. And the monetary value as such doesn't play that big of a role. Is the amount they earn disgusting in relation to other professions, yes. But does that change the way a player will look at his position in relation to his peers?

And then theres the fact that Kyle Walker is probably earning more than most of his peers....there are plenty of footballers on a paltry 20 or 30 grand a week.

The peasants.

And then theres the fact that Kyle Walker is probably earning more than most of his peers....there are plenty of footballers on a paltry 20 or 30 grand a week.

The peasants.
I deliberately said high performing individuals, compared to 99 % of the wingbacks in this world he earns a shitload of money, not disagreeing with that. Just don't know how i would react in his position, it's not like he is a lifelong Spurs fan or anything like that.

The club will be the loser if we sell him. Trippier cannot play all the time and we will need another RB unless Walker Peters is considered ready. As when Bale went there is no guarantee the money will bring about an improvement in the team.
Our best hope of him staying is Walker playing against WH, MU and Hull. The friendship of the team mates might also encourage him to stay.

Back
Top Bottom