Kevin Wimmer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As perverse as it sounds, I'm glad Jan got injured so that big Kev got a good run in the team and we got to see that he's real quality.

Hopefully he'll continue to get played when Jan returns. The last thing we want is him fucking off because he's back on the bench.

As perverse as it sounds, I'm glad Jan got injured so that big Kev got a good run in the team and we got to see that he's real quality.

Hopefully he'll continue to get played when Jan returns. The last thing we want is him fucking off because he's back on the bench.
Yeah silver lining to that injury is we have, at least, a back up who is quality. We also gave him experience in PL. There is an argument he could start. I am not here to make that argument but I shit myself when we went down today.

I was worried at the lack of minutes he was getting before Beryl's (ha!) injury.

Looks quality.

We used to shit ourselves over our bench, now look at it. Deepest squad in the Prem, I think. Quality all over the pitch.

Been really pleasantly surprised by Kevin. Thought when Jan got injured we might struggle a bit. I think the stability of Toby next to him has helped loads.
Looking forward to Jan coming back, not because I think he'll automatically replace Wimmer, however if Dier were to get injured I'd be confident of Vertonghen in Dier's role. Although who knows how Kevdog Trillionaire would do in that role.

I thought that Wimmer would be decent, but I didn't think he'd be this good. He has slotted in without any issues basically. I guess that is testament to his ability but also the coaching.

First game he played for us was a Cup game and his ball watching led to at least one of the goals against us. Since he filled in for Verts he's been so aggressive which has matched Toby's aggressiveness.

You never know what goes on behind the scenes, but as far as what we're able to know, then the whole Wimmer situation speaks volumes about what a good place Poch has put us in. Joining from a Bundesliga where he played regularly, and then not a sound of disapproval while hardly playing (in a year with the Euros as well), combined with him slotting in seamlessly, tells a story of him feeling, he's learning by just being around the squad and that he's feeling a part of something great.

I thought that Wimmer would be decent, but I didn't think he'd be this good. He has slotted in without any issues basically. I guess that is testament to his ability but also the coaching.

I agree your point about coaching - Poch's real achievement lies here. He is an ex CB, so knows his onions. Toby, Jan and Kev are his sort of player: all have developed under his tutelage.

The media get all excited about Harry, Dele and all our other talented forwards, but the real success of this team is built on the solid foundations Poch has built at the back.

It all just seems so much more sophisticated than imploring Premier League players to "just run abaaaht".

:harryhmm:

I agree your point about coaching - Poch's real achievement lies here. He is an ex CB, so knows his onions. Toby, Jan and Kev are his sort of player: all have developed under his tutelage.

The media get all excited about Harry, Dele and all our other talented forwards, but the real success of this team is built on the solid foundations Poch has built at the back.

It all just seems so much more sophisticated than imploring Premier League players to "just run abaaaht".

:harryhmm:

It's interesting the difference between us and Woolwich. Woolwich had success with Wenger based on a defence that he inherited, and when it went he could not rebuild it, he doesn't know how. For all their other qualities, their defence is suspect and inconsistent and this is Wengers main failing IMO. Compare that to Poch who has vastly improved our defence, as you say. Without a defence that is quality you will struggle to win the league and your GD suffers. Our GD is so high I can honestly say I never expected to see it that high. Ever.

Great thing is that he has also improved the other areas of our team and signs suggest he will continue to improve us in every department. I have never had confidence in the manager like this. Under Redknapp I felt more of the time he would get it right than wrong, but often it was instinct and sometimes he did get it wrong. Under Poch I don't ever check the teamsheet to see whether it is right or not, I just trust him whatever he goes with.

Could we be seeing a third bromance for the ages? (after Jan & Moose, and Eric & Dele)

giphy.gif

Shite questions, almost as bad as what is your favourite colour but fuck it post it anyway. Also, how fucking hard is it for the interviewer to pronounce the surname of the person you are interviewing correctly, ffs?

His first bad game in a Spurs shirt?

Thought he was awful this afternoon, sadly. But it's a learning curve for him. He has come on leaps and bounds and none of us expected him to come in and do such a good job at all. He was only get stronger and better learning from the likes of Alderweireld and playing in front of Lloris.

Back
Top Bottom