Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Here’s one for you all which basically shows up balls and being brave on the pitch and talking big acting hard behind a mic and playing like a mouse. After we beat city at home we had 20 points they had 12, plus 8 lead. Post match , although I did find it funny, Jose said they can keep the ball and we will keep the 3 points. Today they are on 44 points 11 ahead a swing of 19 points. In that time we have drawn with palace, wolves and Fulham at home. Lost to pool twice and Leicester where especially in both home games we hardly laid a finger on them. Beat Leeds and SU. Looks like pep has being keeping the ball and points since that comment. No point talking big then send your team out to play like mice and with no balls. Comes back to bite you when you don’t back up your arrongance and big talk with big performances especially against teams we should beating. What’s frustrating is if he had some balls or cajoles as deemey would say we probably could have won most of those games. Wasted opportunity.
Can’t argue with much of that really. How we’ve dropped points from the positions we were in would make for a great congressional investigation!

He’ll be judged I would imagine at the end of the season on whether or not he attains European Cup football for next season. When you sell yourself as a short term quick fix and the style is so awful, results are all that you can be judged on. The likes of Everton, Spammers, Villa, Southampton will fall away as they always do and it will be the usual suspects contending for Top 4. Maybe Leicester will last the distance better this season, but they collapsed over closing 10 game’s last season. The bar shouldn’t be overly high for Top 4 when you look at the mess that Chavs and Woolwich have been for most of the season and the bit of a cushion we have on both.

It would be nice to win a Cup and break the now 13 year trophy drought but winning a Cup has a lot to do with vagaries of the draw and is never really a barometer of a long tenure. Just ask George Graham or Juande Ramos. We’re in the League Cup final without having to beat a Premier League side. We got to the European Cup final in 2019, by avoiding the big guns like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus or Dippers. The most recent past champions we faced were Dortmund from 1997. I’d give us close to a 50/50 shout in that League Cup Final against City.

Can't believe how presumptious our fanbase have become. He got us to LC Final, still mathematically in contention in PL, got to EL last 32 and FA Cup last 16. We are going on in all 4 competitions we were in and yet some fans calling for his head.
So you think he has had tough games in the Europa League, Carabao and FA cups to overcome. With our squad and the teams we have faced I would expect Pardew to have got us this far, fuck sake we even got a game awarded in the Carabao Cup

A win today won’t stop the venom people are feeling towards him. Not even winning the LC I’m afraid. He will win something here, maybe two, but he will be hounded out of here because of the “damage he would do to the club.”

Me? I’m hoping he does this same ‘damage’ he’s done to other clubs and he can leave me happy!
What guarantee is there he will win anything? We hope we beat city , beat Everton in the cup and progress in the epl but these are given. What happens if we don’t win anything what you gonna think then? It’s not easy to win these competitions there are other teams thinking the same.

He’ll be judged I would imagine at the end of the season on whether or not he attains European Cup football for next season. When you sell yourself as a short term quick fix and the style is so awful, results are all that you can be judged on. The likes of Everton, Spammers, Villa, Southampton will fall away as they always do and it will be the usual suspects contending for Top 4. Maybe Leicester will last the distance better this season, but they collapsed over closing 10 game’s last season. The bar shouldn’t be overly high for Top 4 when you look at the mess that Chavs and Woolwich have been for most of the season and the bit of a cushion we have on both.

It would be nice to win a Cup and break the now 13 year trophy drought but winning a Cup has a lot to do with vagaries of the draw and is never really a barometer of a long tenure. Just ask George Graham or Juande Ramos. We’re in the League Cup final without having to beat a Premier League side. We got to the European Cup final in 2019, by avoiding the big guns like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus or Dippers. The most recent past champions we faced were Dortmund from 1997. I’d give us close to a 50/50 shout in that League Cup Final against City.
What cushion have we got over these two teams pints wise? Chelsea will be level on points I think and if they beat us on Thursday they’ll go above us. We lost twice lost to them didn’t lay a glove on them even with a rookie manager and we had a supposed managerial tactical great. This season don’t think we had an attempt in the away game. They have a hold over us like pool do. We just basically come out and do nothing. At least poch agave them a game now and then.

Here’s one for you all which basically shows up balls and being brave on the pitch and talking big acting hard behind a mic and playing like a mouse. After we beat city at home we had 20 points they had 12, plus 8 lead. Post match , although I did find it funny, Jose said they can keep the ball and we will keep the 3 points. Today they are on 44 points 11 ahead a swing of 19 points. In that time we have drawn with palace, wolves and Fulham at home. Lost to pool twice and Leicester where especially in both home games we hardly laid a finger on them. Beat Leeds and SU. Looks like pep has being keeping the ball and points since that comment. No point talking big then send your team out to play like mice and with no balls. Comes back to bite you when you don’t back up your arrongance and big talk with big performances especially against teams we should beating. What’s frustrating is if he had some balls or cajoles as deemey would say we probably could have won most of those games. Wasted opportunity.
Pep was always a very good league manager. He’s always been at sides where he has had the best players, strongest squad and deepest pockets. At Barcelona fair enough, a lot of that was home grown, at Bayern and City, he’s had financial resources that dwarf just about everyone else. He’s not always had a great record against big guns, (borne out by the fact his last European Cup win was 10 years ago, and that possibly against the best side ever). Pep sides are remorseless against the lesser lights - he’s on a run of 8 successive league wins, winning at Stamford Bridge is always noteworthy but Chavs were a rabble, other 7 wins were over Southampton, Newcastle, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Aston Villa, West Brom and Sheffield United. Villa in 8th are the highest placed side in the league that City have beaten this season.

That’s what it takes to win a league. 90% winning rate against non Top 6, against Top 6, maybe win 3 or 4 at home and avoid losing and pick up a point on the road. If you are in that elevated position, you’ll get a lot of free passes as well as the also ran clubs are in damage limitation mode and very often focusing on the next game, a relegation 6 pointer where they have a more realistic chance of picking up something. Generational teams like Dippers in 70’s and 80’s, Man U in 90’s and 00’s and City over last 10 years pick up an awful lot of easy points because opposition have thrown in the towel before they are even on the pitch. The only season in my lifetime we every really had that going was the last season at the old Lane in 2016/17, we won 17 and drew 2 of our 19 home games and it was great. Every game now is a real struggle because opposition always feel they can get something out of it.

His situation really is on thin ice. The tedious football is tolerated when successful.

That's it. Even United fans barely accepted it, and that was because of the trophies.

I'll continue to support him, but that will become very difficult to do if we win nothing and finish outside the top 4.

That League Cup Final against City....I suppose it's a given that he's gonna play the same way as he has in his two previous league games against Pep (both won by parking the bus)?

Maybe it'll work again and he'll get a trophy to paper over the cracks. But I suspect Pep won't be outfoxed by dinosaur tactics a third time and we'll get a hammering.

Can't believe how presumptious our fanbase have become. He got us to LC Final, still mathematically in contention in PL, got to EL last 32 and FA Cup last 16. We are going on in all 4 competitions we were in and yet some fans calling for his head.
A loss to any of Wycombe, Marine, or Brentford would have been unacceptable. Got some luck with the Orient game.
Beat chavs on pens. That was the most impressive thing we've done.

We arr only in the EL due to failing miserably to get top 4 (with a team that got top 4 and CL final season before) after Jose took over when we were a few points off 4th. Getting us into the KO stages from a wifi password laden group was not optional.

So whilst I respect you want him to have more time (or at least this season) I can't say anything you listed is impressive or any sort of justification for the football.

That League Cup Final against City....I suppose it's a given that he's gonna play the same way as he has in his two previous league games against Pep (both won by parking the bus)?

Maybe it'll work again and he'll get a trophy to paper over the cracks. But I suspect Pep won't be outfoxed by dinosaur tactics a third time and we'll get a hammering.

yep and you just know for a fact City will turn up in a final because it’s what they do, win trophies. We are the polar opposite. Everytime an opportunity presents itself, we bottle it. I am completely expecting the inevitable Spurs collapse.

So when we are good it’s the players just being good and when we are shit it’s the players following his tactics? Seems legit! :mourthumb:
No the manager will always take the blame it’s not the players setting up defensively against every shit team we play is it ?no I didn’t think so his tactics are shit and don’t do nothing for the players we have .

If this dogshit brand of football doesn’t start producing consistent results then Jose needs to be sacked.

I’d rather play fast flowing and attractive attacking football than watch us park the bus, get dominated for 90 minutes and once in a while scrape a win.

Is he helped by the fact that we have too many shite defenders? No. But he’s also fortunate enough to have world class forwards and a very strong midfield. A manager of his calibre should be able to adapt their tactics to bring the best out of his team. He seems completely unable to do this and continues to set us up to absorb pressure and counter attack which we have proven time and time again to be utterly shit at.

All hypothetical I know but if we had Benteke and Ayew I would guess we have at least 6 points less, I would also think if Palace had Harry and Son they would have min 6 points more. I actually think my numbers are low and somewhat conservative.
Very much so. Kane and Son are on course for one of the highest percentages of goals scored and points won by two players for the same team in any season in PL history.

And how a number on here will be absolutely delighted if we do.

Back
Top Bottom