Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But reaching the champions league final And finishing 4th with zero investment in 18 months was a failure .

It was criminal and you could see the wear and tear it took on the squad and especially Poch. Went from young healthy manager to looking like a sleep deprived alcoholic.

You can already see it in Jose. The bags under the eyes are back after looking like a guy who visits the spa everyday when in his mini retirement

One person who isn't getting any criticism is Ledley King. If anyone else was our defensive coach, they would be getting slaughtered.

How are we unable to defend set pieces and continue to keep making basic mistakes?

But why are we not only inviting pressure onto a defence that makes errors every week but playing two players out of their strongest defensive positions in a huge game....

That's on the manager.

Pochettino rightly got abused for playing Son at LWB in a cup semi final when we had Ben Davies available and Mourinho should get stick for playing a left back at centre back and putting a right back at left back.
Well he wanted a back 3 and with reguilons injury there wasnt much choice i dont think. We were worse in second half when we went to normal back 4 with a proper right back and left back.
Joses biggest mistakes were the brutal substitutions at half time and the moving of ndombele further up the pitch where he couldnt get on the ball.
The moves of an inexperienced manager not a so called tactical genius and experienced trophy winner

Well he wanted a back 3 and with reguilons injury there wasnt much choice i dont think. We were worse in second half when we went to normal back 4 with a proper right back and left back.
Joses biggest mistakes were the brutal substitutions at half time and the moving of ndombele further up the pitch where he couldnt get on the ball.
The moves of an inexperienced manager not a so called tactical genius and experienced trophy winner

We were worse in the second half because of his woeful half time substitutions, like you say.

Not because we went to a back four.

I am gobsmacked we didn't just play the same defence we did at Anfield, when we were for large parts very very good defensively.

I agree with most of what ye say but what about the constant braindead decisions and performances from players. Bad managerial decisions dont help but fuck me some of our players are shocking
Bit of both. We need better players, but jose is under performing with the players we currently have.

We were worse in the second half because of his woeful half time substitutions, like you say.

Not because we went to a back four.

I am gobsmacked we didn't just play the same defence we did at Anfield, when we were for large parts very very good defensively.
Both their goals came from our rb and lb positions in 2nd half.
But we do agree on the woeful substitutions. And the no need for change what largely worked in anfield.
But then again the melting here after that performance was unreal because of defending

Both their goals came from our rb and lb positions in 2nd half.
But we do agree on the woeful substitutions. And the no need for change what largely worked in anfield.
But then again the melting here after that performance was unreal because of defending

I'd say Lloris and Rodon were more at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goals, even though Doherty was embarrassed by Mane in the build up.

I think the 'melting' was justified - we were embarrassing.

- Liverpool had 1 away in in their last 8 away games in the league
- Not scored a league goal since the 27th December or an away goal since 19th December
- 0 wins in their last 5 games

We had 0 shots after the 48th minute ffs.

Sadly it's actually 9 players he has brought in to this squad he loved. And like you say he needs minimum 3 or 4 and he's not talking cheap ones if he's after our own van Dijk etc.
Wow 9! So 2 more & its a whole starting 11. Yeah he will want a big signing or 2 if he wants VVD calibre. Not sure levy will be too willing if he has already got jose 9 new players.

Wow 9! So 2 more & its a whole starting 11. Yeah he will want a big signing or 2 if he wants VVD calibre. Not sure levy will be too willing if he has already got jose 9 new players.

You have to remember though if a player comes in and doesn't work out then it wasn't someone who Jose wanted so they don't count.

In fact I am sure soon we will be hearing Jose apologists telling us that he has net -10 players since he came in and all we need is to buy Bayern and City's full squads, give Jose 15 years and surely by then we will have at least 1 top 4 finish and possibly a League Cup as well.

I'd say Lloris and Rodon were more at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goals, even though Doherty was embarrassed by Mane in the build up.

I think the 'melting' was justified - we were embarrassing.

- Liverpool had 1 away in in their last 8 away games in the league
- Not scored a league goal since the 27th December or an away goal since 19th December
- 0 wins in their last 5 games

We had 0 shots after the 48th minute ffs.
No i meant the melting after the first game against the dippers

No i meant the melting after the first game against the dippers

Ah - yes, I agree.

I thought we were pretty good against Liverpool in the first league game and the melting that came after that game was nothing more than frustrated people who probably take football a little too seriously following losing it late.

If we played even half as good as that game, we'd have won on Thursday

Fuck me.

Sherwood is actually right.

Sherwood is actually right????

giphy.gif

One person who isn't getting any criticism is Ledley King. If anyone else was our defensive coach, they would be getting slaughtered.

How are we unable to defend set pieces and continue to keep making basic mistakes?

Depends if anyone was really expecting anything from his appointment? Tbh I wasn't.

Nothing really points to him being a great coach. Having the innate ability as a player doesn't automatically mean you can pass it on. We all love the guy, but he's never come across as a great speaker or thinker has he, lets be honest. And as a player/captain he was a lead by example type, rather than a general who could marshal and organise and galvanise the troops.

Then there is that he's not done anything in football for the best part of a decade and is a rookie in the job. He quickly gave up coaching the youth teams coz it wasn't for him, and has shown no burning desire to coach until Jose rang him up with a very cushy role.

Finally there is his knee. Obviously it isn't undergoing the stress of playing these days, but we used to hear that he struggled to even kick a ball around in the garden with his kid, so I'd be amazed if there isn't some limitations as to what he can do - which might impact him joining in, doing demo's run throughs etc.

Really think he's there mainly as a PR move (iirc Jose has done the same at previous jobs, putting a 'club man' on his backroom staff) and if he can pass on a bit of knowledge then great. But I personally was never expecting miracles, and in any case doubt he has anywhere near the same imprint on the team as Mourinho and Sacramento.

Last edited:

These problems were there before he came in so he can only get so much of the criticism.

What good players?
We haven't got a good right back. Our barely proven left back is injured. Toby appears to be done at CB.
Son and Kane look stranded from the rest of the team.

We're average. Or worse.
Did you see the Liverpool defence on Thursday?!

The reason our defence made errors and theirs didn’t is because we put zero pressure on them.

How is Toby now done?! We went through successive games just 3 months ago against City, Woolwich and Chelsea keeping clean sheets with Toby at CB, now he’s done?!

It’s just a plethora of lazy excuses for a manager that is currently failing.

Back
Top Bottom