Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because worse teams with worse players have proven to be able to play BETTER football.

These are all professional footballers, international footballers and all have cost vast sums of money. They're not shit footballers. They may be levels below Premier League and Champions League winning footballers, but they all are where they are in life because of hard work and the ability to play football.

We've all seen plenty of teams worse than us with worse squads than that play good football. It's about patterns of play, movement and the ability to coach that into a team through hard work on the training ground.
I was being sarcastic as hell, and we need to upgrade a couple positions to be truly elite (RB, another midfielder, another CB), but people are acting like Mourinho found a bunch of guys at the park and he's just doing the best he can gosh darn it. This is a good squad.

I agree with most of what ye say but what about the constant braindead decisions and performances from players. Bad managerial decisions dont help but fuck me some of our players are shocking

You then begin to question why the players have made said braindead decisions and why they've lead to a goal.

Mourinho came out after the Liverpool game and said all of the goals we conceded were down to individual errors. But if you're going to invite teams, especially teams as good as Liverpool, onto said defence then errors are going to happen if we're not perfect.

Every single goal conceded is an individual error somewhere on the pitch.

The opening goal against Liverpool was a shambles. Davies keeping Mane onside. Aurier losing him. Rodon not paying attention. Lloris' lack of communication and not intercepting the poor Mane cross and Dier simply forgetting Firmino, who he spots numerous times, was near him.

What you have to wonder is why we were playing a left back at centre back (the guy who kept Mane onside) when we had no other left backs in the side?

I was being sarcastic as hell, and we need to upgrade a couple positions to be truly elite (RB, another midfielder, another CB), but people are acting like Mourinho found a bunch of guys at the park and he's just doing the best he can gosh darn it. This is a good squad.

Ah, got you!

Yep - I said it at the beginning of the season that this is arguably the best overall squad we've had in the Premier League era. Our form right now isn't changing my mind on that. Some people always bring up the likes of 16/17 as if our central midfield depth wasn't Dier, Winks and Onomah and our offensive subs were Nkoudou, Janssen and Sissoko...

Problem is, and I have said this a thousand times this season alone, you are only as good as your last game on this forum (and elsewhere in general). If we're winning and on a winning run? The world is our oyster. We have an excellent team. We're going to win something. Mourinho is great. If we get battered at home by Liverpool, fail to beat the likes of Fulham etc. and then all of a sudden our squad isn't good enough. We'll be lucky to get top four and we need to move on from Jose.

Jose probably spends more time going through videos of the oppo with his back room tran then actually doing any training sessions with the team. His team is pretty beat then just drill into the players the quality of the oppo and how good they are that are much better than us at playing football so we need to sit back and let them have the ball. Simple really the management lark😀

I think we'd be worse off if fans were allowed in to be honest.

I think we are one of a few clubs that have probably benefited by having no fans in stadiums. Imagine the boos that would have thundered out at the Lane after some of the results we've had as well as the groans and murmurs every time we've passed it back to our defence or hoofed it long. The fact the players haven't had to deal with that means they've probably felt less pressure for a start.

We couldn't even handle Palace fans pushing their team on at Selhurst Park.
Yeah I can see where your coming from, I just think our players have a tendency to switch off just lately , a lot harder to switch off when your in front of 60k fans , it’s just a theory of mine but I think we make less mistakes with a full stadium , but then like you say if we are playing Jose ball it wouldn’t take long for the fans to turn on the team.
I guess we will never really know

Yep. & jose has already had 5 or 6 new players but apparently now he just needs 3 or 4 more to challenge!

Sadly it's actually 9 players he has brought in to this squad he loved. And like you say he needs minimum 3 or 4 and he's not talking cheap ones if he's after our own van Dijk etc.

Been MIA for awhile now, watching from a distance as I take care of an ailing mother.

But the writing has been on the wall the moment the man signed.

Like r/wallstreetbets, I am holding on my initial opinion of he's got to go.

From Poch had the players, but was a failure for not winning the title

To Jose needs a complete rebuild to challenge for top 4

All in the space of just 15 months :harrylol:

And as was said earlier, they don't even realise they're doing it! Bless 'em
Ha. I'll throw in another. Before Jose.... "Spending is a waste of time & doesn't equal success".
Now.... "We need to spend more on a few more players for jose to have a fair chance of success".

You then begin to question why the players have made said braindead decisions and why they've lead to a goal.

Mourinho came out after the Liverpool game and said all of the goals we conceded were down to individual errors. But if you're going to invite teams, especially teams as good as Liverpool, onto said defence then errors are going to happen if we're not perfect.

Every single goal conceded is an individual error somewhere on the pitch.

The opening goal against Liverpool was a shambles. Davies keeping Mane onside. Aurier losing him. Rodon not paying attention. Lloris' lack of communication and not intercepting the poor Mane cross and Dier simply forgetting Firmino, who he spots numerous times, was near him.

What you have to wonder is why we were playing a left back at centre back (the guy who kept Mane onside) when we had no other left backs in the side?
But yeah so errors is what you just explained back to me. 4 errors in 1 goal all by our defenders. Thats what i mean.We make so many errors at the back compared to other top half teams. Switching off is the main problem. Other teams tend to do it up the pitch.
I know what you mean about the way you set up inviting pressure but i actually thought apart from mane we were very comfortable in that 1st half. But players switching off again and straight after half time.
Davies did well at the left of a back 3 against sheff utd but liverpool are a different level so found out

But yeah so errors is what you just explained back to me. 4 errors in 1 goal all by our defenders. Thats what i mean.We make so many errors at the back compared to other top half teams. Switching off is the main problem. Other teams tend to do it up the pitch.
I know what you mean about the way you set up inviting pressure but i actually thought apart from mane we were very comfortable in that 1st half. But players switching off again and straight after half time.
Davies did well at the left of a back 3 against sheff utd but liverpool are a different level so found out

But why are we not only inviting pressure onto a defence that makes errors every week but playing two players out of their strongest defensive positions in a huge game....

That's on the manager.

Pochettino rightly got abused for playing Son at LWB in a cup semi final when we had Ben Davies available and Mourinho should get stick for playing a left back at centre back and putting a right back at left back.

Last edited:
Ha. I'll throw in another. Before Jose.... "Spending is a waste of time & doesn't equal success".
Now.... "We need to spend more on a few more players for jose to have a fair chance of success".

tenor.gif

We have enough quality in the team that should be able to beat the might of Newcastle, west ham and Fulham at home.
We have way under performed in a season that has seen lesser sides now all pushing for places around us.
Do Liverpool not have enough quality to beat Burnley? Do United not have enough against Sheffield?
Manchester City cant beat Leeds?

The other teams are not there to just gift away points

Back
Top Bottom