January Window ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What score would you give our window out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're right that it's partly on the club but Paratici's signings show no indication of real scouting and principles that guide decision making.

Can't yet attribute good signings to good scouting. The 4 successful signings (Perisic, Romero, Kulu and Benta) are players they were intimately familiar with but the rest has been a scatter gun approach with very little pay off.

We randomly overpay for players like Rich and Gil, who have no clear role in the team. Get hung up on Bastoni/Gvardiol but end up with Lenglet, was there really no other CB in the world we could have bought?

Even Sarr was not clever scouting, he was a hyped youngster in France, and not a bargain at £15m. Our scouts aren't unearthing any hidden gems.

We've released Dele, Aurier, Doc, and failed to sell any deadwood or academy kids for good money. Our transfers are as drawn out as ever.
Ok so the good players you wont give him credit for? :sandro:
He was director of Football when we signed Romero, Kulu, Bennie and also Porro thats 4 first team players there straight into the starting 11, so however you want to spin it thats a success compared to the like of GLC and Ndombele!

Put 7. Maybe generous but both players signed improve us.
Really wanted us to sign Danjuma in the summer but always thought he was destined for Liverpool. If you had offered me Gakpo or Danjuma I'd have taken Danjuma and seeing his attitude since arriving, still would take Danjuma. Porro looks the business and is a top shelf player in terms of RWB's in the world. Might not work out in the prem but if we played back 4, a RB in his profile would never be signing at Spurs

Ok so the good players you wont give him credit for? :sandro:
He was director of Football when we signed Romero, Kulu, Bennie and also Porro thats 4 first team players there straight into the starting 11, so however you want to spin it thats a success compared to the like of GLC and Ndombele!
These players were bought because the director and manager had pre-existing relationships with them or knew them well over several years. Credit for bringing in players they were intimately familiar with but it's not necessarily a sign of good scouting and planning.

Taken as a whole there seems to be no strategy other than to hire Conte's old players, or players they'd known in Serie A, and whatever youth player that has a bit of hype. There appears to be no clear systematic scouting of world football and trying to secure the best players or finding hidden gems.

Otherwise how do you explain transfers like Emerson, Spence, Gil etc.?

Put 7. Maybe generous but both players signed improve us.
Really wanted us to sign Danjuma in the summer but always thought he was destined for Liverpool. If you had offered me Gakpo or Danjuma I'd have taken Danjuma and seeing his attitude since arriving, still would take Danjuma. Porro looks the business and is a top shelf player in terms of RWB's in the world. Might not work out in the prem but if we played back 4, a RB in his profile would never be signing at Spurs
:mourwhat:

don't forget we spent another £40m on Romero so that's almost £100 MILLION DOLLARS spent by the evil genius.

Some may say you're being harsh by only giving our divine creator 7/10 for his legendary endeavours!

Admin Admin you should put an ignore all button next to the rating which will ignore everyone who put that rating, then everyone can just read what like minded people write.

For Porro who looks like a good player and plugs a gap (and it'd better not be on the bench)
For Danju, who looks like a neat player too, at least with attitude and now a goal.

No more.

It was late trade again, making us miss out on these players being part of the tough fixture programme this month.

And it is another link in the chain of poor, poor transfer strategy and executions.

No? Well. Remember Erik Lamela? The guy who was hot and cold, then a bit of a misfit in the squad, club record signing. Got 2 contracts anyway. Well, him we offloaded for Bryan Gil, and paid Sevilla £20m+ for it. And guess what: Because ENIC- despite reps and lots of laughs of the contrary - are such poor, poor football merchants, Sevilla now have Lamela. And the money. And Gil on loan. And I wouldn't be suprised if we still gover part of his wages. There. That was one, single link in the chain.

3. It's a low score from me simply because they (as usual) waited to the end of window to do any business. I do like Danjuma and Porro, and in the case of Porro we have definitely improved our starting 11, but we might have actually done better against the scum if those two had been available.

For Porro who looks like a good player and plugs a gap (and it'd better not be on the bench)
For Danju, who looks like a neat player too, at least with attitude and now a goal.

No more.

It was late trade again, making us miss out on these players being part of the tough fixture programme this month.

And it is another link in the chain of poor, poor transfer strategy and executions.

No? Well. Remember Erik Lamela? The guy who was hot and cold, then a bit of a misfit in the squad, club record signing. Got 2 contracts anyway. Well, him we offloaded for Bryan Gil, and paid Sevilla £20m+ for it. And guess what: Because ENIC- despite reps and lots of laughs of the contrary - are such poor, poor football merchants, Sevilla now have Lamela. And the money. And Gil on loan. And I wouldn't be suprised if we still gover part of his wages. There. That was one, single link in the chain.
That is the definition of getting rinsed

Incidentally, I’ve voted 4. Porro seems like a strong signing to solve a long term issue, so that’s good. Not convinced about Danjuma, but hopefully he’ll do the business and seems to be more squad strength rather than first team.

But we are weak at the back still and should have got a centre back in. And a quality one at that. Also a bit bored with seeing players leave on loan, would like to see us sell a few at some point. Don’t think Paratici is doing anything startling with his outgoing deals.
This is exactly what I'd say except I put it at a 6. Porro does seem quality and Danjuma needs to prove himself but seems promising so far

This is exactly what I'd say except I put it at a 6. Porro does seem quality and Danjuma needs to prove himself but seems promising so far
I’m maybe being a bit of a dick with my score as I’ve not seen enough of either new player to know if they are any good or not. Our recent record in transfers hasn’t been strong, so my hopes aren’t high I’m afraid.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, tbh.
Yeah we do moan we have to many cloggers and we should just get rid,So hopefully this is the start of a summer clear out, I just think with Doc though it looks like we didn't realise we were on the limit for Loans so we just terminated his contract last minute, either that or The Porro deal changed to a loan last minute so we had no choice, still could be a lot worse so cant complain.

Yeah we do moan we have to many cloggers and we should just get rid,So hopefully this is the start of a summer clear out, I just think with Doc though it looks like we didn't realise we were on the limit for Loans so we just terminated his contract last minute, either that or The Porro deal changed to a loan last minute so we had no choice, still could be a lot worse so cant complain.

Yeh, I'm not suggesting for a minute that it was by design, but some of the same peeps complaining would have been the first to say "just release 'em" when it's a player they don't rate (Lucas, Sanchez, Lamela, Sissoko whoever.... Doherty himself in some cases!)......

Maybe they'd have preferred if we'd have just let our loan quota kill the Porro deal instead...... I think not.

Then again.........

Admin Admin you should put an ignore all button next to the rating which will ignore everyone who put that rating, then everyone can just read what like minded people write.
Where would the fun be? This forum is called the 'Fighting' Cock for a reason. Get an account at SSC or COYS - they are like knitting circles. You get thrown off for just saying 'cunt'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom