January Window ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What score would you give our window out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
7/10
We have strengthened in the position that's been our weakest in the team for a few years now, with the signing of Porro. We added another attacker, who has with a point to prove and can play upfront and wide.

Ideally another centre back would have been nice but who was available to buy in the January transfer window. I cant think of anyone that would have been an upgrade to what we have that was realistic target.

We just need to start playing football in the 1st half from now on, this seems to be our overall problem this season.

Also with Spence and Gil getting loan moves this will hopefully get then 1st team football and develop.

Got in a badly needed attacking option, with an option if he turns out to be decent.
Look at our bench the last couple of games and we had 5 defenders on it.

Porro fills THE position that we have said needed upgrading for god knows how many years.

Yeah, we need CBs, hopefully we'll get them in the summer.
There was no way that we were going to get a top keeper in in January.

People complaining about Porro being a loan conveniently forget that it's with an obligation and that Sporting wouldn't have agreed to a straight sale.

I voted 5. Two first team players in and a few out on loan who need to play and weren't. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, what can we expect from January anyway? It seems not much money was available for whatever reason!! I haven't looked back at our previous January windows to see how we usually operate. I think that's how we might need to rate this one, not in comparison with other clubs.

Hesitate to rate it until we've seen how the new guys perform. That said, I'm disappointed given we really could have done with a CB (or two). Feels like we spend too much time renovating the roof when we have crumbling foundations.

It never look organised Prior to Paratici to be fair! How much of this comes from the club not actually having a vision in the first place? Are we meant to be buying potential for a project ie SARR and Udogie or are we meant to be buying Conte ready made pieces, or is it just get the best deal and get players in for positions.

At least so far his signings have actually looked decent and you could argue without Kulu and Bennie last season we wouldn't have made top 4.
You're right that it's partly on the club but Paratici's signings show no indication of real scouting and principles that guide decision making.

Can't yet attribute good signings to good scouting. The 4 successful signings (Perisic, Romero, Kulu and Benta) are players they were intimately familiar with but the rest has been a scatter gun approach with very little pay off.

We randomly overpay for players like Rich and Gil, who have no clear role in the team. Get hung up on Bastoni/Gvardiol but end up with Lenglet, was there really no other CB in the world we could have bought?

Even Sarr was not clever scouting, he was a hyped youngster in France, and not a bargain at £15m. Our scouts aren't unearthing any hidden gems.

We've released Dele, Aurier, Doc, and failed to sell any deadwood or academy kids for good money. Our transfers are as drawn out as ever.

6/10 for me. Could have been higher if we signed a CB.

This summer we need a GK and 2 CBs at the minimum or else it’s a failed summer.

For now, upgraded at RB and added a better attacking option from the bench while loaning White and Spence for playing time and getting rid of Doherty. That’a a decent January imo.

I gave it a four because we BADLY needed a new CB (realise we need still more but we were never making all the required changes in Jan)

However IF Porro makes the impact at RWB that he has the potential to, and Danjuma continues in the way he did against Preston then I’d bump that up to a 7.

6. Improved the first team and in a weak position, will really improve our overall attack especially against weaker teams who park the bus. Porro and Peresic plus our front 3 will be devastating hopefully.

Spence on loan is good, Doherty out is also good, he had no future here and was a poor signing in the first place.

Would've preferred Gil staying with Lucas leaving but that was unlikely due to his injuries and wages I guess. Lucas will go in the summer and Gil will be back and better.

Didn't expect a keeper now and think it would've been bad timing. A CB was needed and that's disappointing.

Still think we'll get top 4 and hopefully the FA Cup, CL semis too.
Agree with you, if the Porro signing is a hit and he keeps himself fit is has a chance to really kickstart our season. It wasn't signing a great cb to improve defensive performance (which we no doubt also need..), but starting games with pace / threat and taking a lead makes clean sheets and wins a lot easier to come by. Hopefully we can keep our best players fit and see less of these stodgy and slow first halves with no regular threat to the opposition box. Didn't expect there to be any consideration of a gk in January, whatever about cancelling Doherty's contract, we were never going to bin Lloris like that.

One should consider the overall picture:

Doherty £15m purchase released for free, another Serge Aurier.
Summer signings of Gil £30m and Spence £20m go on loan.
That's £65m wasted failed to make impact not only on the first XI but failed to make the squad and rotation system, we are still in 3 competitions.

One decent signing and one bench warmer won't make for the above shortcomings. We still need first choice WB, GK, CD and AM

Last edited:
How can you mark this window anything but failure is beyond me

You’ve got to be a …

Game GIF

Back
Top Bottom