January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best and most likely thing we'll do during the January window is some addition by subtraction. Our squad is far too bloated and it's clear to see that the young players and a few select others have asserted themselves as alpha dogs in the dressing room.

Not saying that they should all leave in the winter but I'd be pretty surprised to see any of the following around by the time the summer window closes, so might as well get started. Dembele, Kaboul, Adebayor, Naughton, and Paulinho could all easily go without hurting the team at all.

I find it a bit unfortunate as I never really had the personal gripes with Kaboul and Adebayor that many seem to but if our current level of determination continues with them outside the squad then it is clear there is something there I don't know. Naughton I actually think is decent now, but with Yedlin coming there's no point in keeping a limited player. Dembele hasn't been good for two seasons and doesn't fits Poch's style. Paulinho is Paulinho.

IMO for a solid and well balanced team we need another quality center half, another holding midfielder (contingent on Stambouli and Capoue's form though), another creative attacking player, and a striker. This doesn't all need to be done through the transfer market, some of these roles could definitely be filled through the academy. Ball, Veljkovic, and Oglivie (is his loan full season?) deserves a chance at the back, Veljkovic and Winks could be options in the midfield, Onomah and Oduwa could be additional creative players. The only spot we can't potentially fill from inside the club is striker.

That's not to say that all the aforementioned academy boys will pan out, that seems exceedingly unlikely. But considering the current evidence we need to consider the academy before spending in the transfer market. If even two of those guys were to come in and solidify spots it would mean we would have that much more cash to spend on a striker and other holes.

The best and most likely thing we'll do during the January window is some addition by subtraction. Our squad is far too bloated and it's clear to see that the young players and a few select others have asserted themselves as alpha dogs in the dressing room.

Not saying that they should all leave in the winter but I'd be pretty surprised to see any of the following around by the time the summer window closes, so might as well get started. Dembele, Kaboul, Adebayor, Naughton, and Paulinho could all easily go without hurting the team at all.

I find it a bit unfortunate as I never really had the personal gripes with Kaboul and Adebayor that many seem to but if our current level of determination continues with them outside the squad then it is clear there is something there I don't know. Naughton I actually think is decent now, but with Yedlin coming there's no point in keeping a limited player. Dembele hasn't been good for two seasons and doesn't fits Poch's style. Paulinho is Paulinho.

IMO for a solid and well balanced team we need another quality center half, another holding midfielder (contingent on Stambouli and Capoue's form though), another creative attacking player, and a striker. This doesn't all need to be done through the transfer market, some of these roles could definitely be filled through the academy. Ball, Veljkovic, and Oglivie (is his loan full season?) deserves a chance at the back, Veljkovic and Winks could be options in the midfield, Onomah and Oduwa could be additional creative players. The only spot we can't potentially fill from inside the club is striker.

That's not to say that all the aforementioned academy boys will pan out, that seems exceedingly unlikely. But considering the current evidence we need to consider the academy before spending in the transfer market. If even two of those guys were to come in and solidify spots it would mean we would have that much more cash to spend on a striker and other holes.

Coulthirst, Oduwa and Azzaoui are our next academy striking options

Paulinho is Paulinho.

I think Poch has some faith in him. He's been slowly bleeding him back into the team (Subbed on last 2 games) and I can see him getting a start in Turkey next week. Needed a break, mentally, as much as anything.

You could see with the way Paulinho celebrated Soldado scoring that there is some passion there and when he came on against Everton he did fine and closed down well, blocked a shot or two. I think he'll start to look good come Jan-Feb.

Just as a side note, I'm not a fan boy of his, I thought he was terrible last year but he's never hit form with us.

I'd actually be surprised if we considered selling Paulinho at this stage. If Poch really wants to implement this high energy pressing game then Paulinho would actually suit quite well. Obviously he would have to show a LOT more desire in most instances, but his skillset would actually work in a midfield three of that system.

I think Poch has some faith in him. He's been slowly bleeding him back into the team (Subbed on last 2 games) and I can see him getting a start in Turkey next week. Needed a break, mentally, as much as anything.

You could see with the way Paulinho celebrated Soldado scoring that there is some passion there and when he came on against Everton he did fine and closed down well, blocked a shot or two. I think he'll start to look good come Jan-Feb.

Just as a side note, I'm not a fan boy of his, I thought he was terrible last year but he's never hit form with us.

How much time do you give him? I'd persist with a player like Soldado as he's getting into positions (and missing) and his link up play is good. Paulinho? What are his strengths? I've seen nothing.
Never a £16m player.

How much time do you give him? I'd persist with a player like Soldado as he's getting into positions (and missing) and his link up play is good. Paulinho? What are his strengths? I've seen nothing.
Never a £16m player.

When was the comparison between Soldado and Paulinho for a start? It wasn't. They don't even play in the same position. Bizarre.

As I said, I'm not a fan boy, so I'm not going to get into a massive defense of him, but there are many players I'd rather get rid of before Paulinho.

Coulthirst, Oduwa and Azzaoui are our next academy striking options

Doesn't Oduwa mostly play as an inverted LW with Akindayni or Miller generally playing up top for the U21s? I think Azzaoui is a winger or AM as well. Aren't Harrison and Loft the strikers for the U18s?

Windy has mentioned a couple of times that we've struggled to find a striker in the youth set up to take Kane's role since he went into the first team. It's my understanding that it is our weakest academy spot by a fair margin. That is why I said it would be best if we bought one instead.

Last edited:
I'd actually be surprised if we considered selling Paulinho at this stage. If Poch really wants to implement this high energy pressing game then Paulinho would actually suit quite well. Obviously he would have to show a LOT more desire in most instances, but his skillset would actually work in a midfield three of that system.

Paulinho has always been a good presser. I agree with that. But he can't really do anything else. He's totally sapped of confidence offensively. In the Partizan game he got the ball 12 yards out at an okay angle and ended up dribbling to the corner flag. He's never really displayed PL level passing or shooting abilities.

I won't pretend that my opinions towards the guy are anything besides negative but he just doesn't show me anything. Soldado has always flashed class with his touches and passing etc but there just hasn't been much evidence of talent from Paulinho.

When was the comparison between Soldado and Paulinho for a start? It wasn't. They don't even play in the same position. Bizarre.

As I said, I'm not a fan boy, so I'm not going to get into a massive defense of him, but there are many players I'd rather get rid of before Paulinho.

I was saying that a player like Soldado, even when he's struggling, you can see he's worth persevering with as there are good touches and he gets into good positions.
And I was saying that Paulinho is shit, I've seen nothing.
And I'm aware that Soldado is a striker and Paulinho is a midfielder.

Doesn't Oduwa mostly play as an inverted LW with Akindayni or Miller generally playing up top for the U21s? I think Azzaoui is a winger or AM as well. Aren't Harrison and Loft the strikers for the U18s?

Windy has mentioned a couple of times that we've struggled to find a striker in the youth set up to take Kane's role since he went into the first team. It's my understanding that it is our weakest academy spot by a fair margin. That is why I said it would be best if we bought one instead.

Perhaps, not too au fait with the academy/development players in anything but those on loan.

I think it's telling that Poch brought on Paulinho over Dembele vs Everton. I remember him even having a few nice interceptions. I'm not gonna argue about what Paulinho has done in the past but if Poch has some faith in him then so do I.

i figured out my transfer policy for January

also , what happened to El Shaarawy, maybe he wants to come to Us. atleast we dont have Balotelli... :pochserious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom