Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

as left back ,Jan played well yesterday for Belgium vs USA,a beautiful national team-Belgium, who deserve to play at least semifinal at this world cup,a very good squad,thinking if they held Lukaku on the bench,that "monster striker" enter on the pitch in extra time and resolve Belgium victory... now Belgium - Argentina in the quarterfinals,very interesting match ,Jan Vertonghen vs Messi ,hard meeting for Jan, isn't it ? :)

He gave his all and a bit more...
858861247.gif

puked on the pitch just before extra-time
i hope he is fit for saturday and will destroy di maria

I thought Jan played pretty well as LB for Belgium yesterday.

Through the media, we're told that he prefers CB and that he doesn't like the LB role at Tottenham. However, I think he's had his best games for us at LB and is more error-prone in the centre.

It's a bit hard to judge as the rest of our defence has been pants but maybe a new CB and Jan at LB is the way forward?

Belgium are doing what we've tried on occasions (when Kaboul has played at RB) in so much as IF you can get 4 CB material players to adapt and play across the back four, then you give yourself an almighty beefy strong back line, with an ability to get forward...
If Kaboul can challenge Walker at RB (bye-bye Naughton) with Jan (and Ben Davies?-) can fight it out at LB, we'd be well covered there
All we need now is a solid CB partnership, and we're sorted!!

Germany and Belgium are playing with 4 CBs but only because they have no other options. I can`t see us play that system next season. Jan is our best or at least 2nd best CB, to make him play LB for us would mean we need 2 CBs better than him. In the national team he has Kompany and Van Buyten in front of him so he has to accept playing LB

Plus he's pretty adamant he's not a left back, so if we're intent on playing him there we're effectively pushing him out of the club, he won't want to hang around.

Played very well last night but he's only a Ok LB and didn't get in the PL team of the year in that position.

He was great at LB yesterday because Belgium was constantly attacking. He's a great attacking fullback because he's massively skilled with the ball and smart with his movement. However, where he has always struggled at LB is defensively because he is a CB and not quick enough or fast enough to defend wingers one on one. The US got all their effective attacking done on his side and Yedlin and Johnson were easily the United States two most dangerous players. Vertonghen couldn't stick to either of them.

He's one of the better CBs in the EPL when in the mood but at LB he's a defensive liability and he's miserable. There is no plus side to him playing there for Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom