Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jan is one of those players who can be a shit as he wants, lack effort as much as he likes, talk shit in the press about not liking where he is being played, cost more mistakes than anyone else, but its only Dawson, Fazio and Dier who get dropped and slated.

Odd....he really isnt that good.

i cant remember a spurs player iv had as little regard for. his attitude is so bad. he would walk out on us at the drop of a hat but the thing is, hes no berbatov modric or bale in terms of ability. no where fucking near it. he can either get with the program or fuck off. i dont care what he does to be honest.

i cant remember a spurs player iv had as little regard for. his attitude is so bad. he would walk out on us at the drop of a hat but the thing is, hes no berbatov modric or bale in terms of ability. no where fucking near it. he can either get with the program or fuck off. i dont care what he does to be honest.
You think he's worse than Sol?

Sadly the best Vertonghen games for us was as a left back. Like him a lot tho.
I don't agree. There was a spell in his first season where he was unplayable at centre half. From his performance in the North London Derby, to scoring two goals at Anfield, brilliant assist and goal against Swansea. He seemed happy, well to be fair we were in contention for Champions League and playing with Gareth Bale, why wouldn't you be!?

I don't agree. There was a spell in his first season where he was unplayable at centre half. From his performance in the North London Derby, to scoring two goals at Anfield, brilliant assist and goal against Swansea. He seemed happy, well to be fair we were in contention for Champions League and playing with Gareth Bale, why wouldn't you be!?
He always enjoy a goal against the Swans.

HE SHOULD BE HAPPY PLAYING WITH OUR LORD AND SAVIOR
253A1B3C00000578-0-image-m-232_1422747521521.jpg

I would like to see him remain with us, I think he is a very good CB but not a great.
Just looking at the top teams in Prem and their CB's:
Cahill - Verts is technically better but Cahill has more desire and fights for his team. I rarely see Verts throwing his body in front of a ball like Cahill, for this reason and the impact on the teams mentality I'd pick Cahill.
Terry - the racist is better but given his age, may be next year, surely that cunts legs are going to pack up Mertesacker - Every CB is better than him
Kolscielny - Probably on par with him this season, previous seasons Vertonghen was better as Koshelny gave penalty's and got sent off almost every game.
Kompany - Think this fella is class but has been shit this year and Verts this year is far better
Demichelis - On par
Mangala - Verts is better
Smalling - Verts is better
Jones - Verts is better
Lovren - Verts is better
Toure - Verts is better
Skrtel - Probably on par????
Fonte - not as good
Alderweireld - on par???

Now compare him to his competition at Spurs:
Fazio - Verts is a better all-round player (Fazio better in the air)
Dier - This is a close call they have made the same mistakes probably as many as each other too but Verts experience shows when they are side by side (Verts is a master of the black arts of football)
Kaboul - There is nothing to debate here anymore
Chiriches - He is a not CB. Verts is better.

IMO He is a good CB and will get into any other team's back-line. I like him but wouldn't get overly emotional if he left as he is replaceable, the impact is not like loosing a King or Judas. But given the fact he might be worth £25-£30m (given Managala £30m - Louis £50m - Lovren £20m etc) and his stock will only be at this level for another year then it might be good business to sell. If we did sell I'd like to see us replace one experienced CB as a direct replacement and a young promising talent who could partner Dier in years to come.

So basically, Vertonghen is the best centre back in the Premier League yet will no doubt miss out on being in the Team of the Year because he plays for Spurs.

I would like to see him remain with us, I think he is a very good CB but not a great.
Just looking at the top teams in Prem and their CB's:
Cahill - Verts is technically better but Cahill has more desire and fights for his team. I rarely see Verts throwing his body in front of a ball like Cahill, for this reason and the impact on the teams mentality I'd pick Cahill.
Terry - the racist is better but given his age, may be next year, surely that cunts legs are going to pack up Mertesacker - Every CB is better than him
Kolscielny - Probably on par with him this season, previous seasons Vertonghen was better as Koshelny gave penalty's and got sent off almost every game.
Kompany - Think this fella is class but has been shit this year and Verts this year is far better
Demichelis - On par
Mangala - Verts is better
Smalling - Verts is better
Jones - Verts is better
Lovren - Verts is better
Toure - Verts is better
Skrtel - Probably on par????
Fonte - not as good
Alderweireld - on par???

Now compare him to his competition at Spurs:
Fazio - Verts is a better all-round player (Fazio better in the air)
Dier - This is a close call they have made the same mistakes probably as many as each other too but Verts experience shows when they are side by side (Verts is a master of the black arts of football)
Kaboul - There is nothing to debate here anymore
Chiriches - He is a not CB. Verts is better.

IMO He is a good CB and will get into any other team's back-line. I like him but wouldn't get overly emotional if he left as he is replaceable, the impact is not like loosing a King or Judas. But given the fact he might be worth £25-£30m (given Managala £30m - Louis £50m - Lovren £20m etc) and his stock will only be at this level for another year then it might be good business to sell. If we did sell I'd like to see us replace one experienced CB as a direct replacement and a young promising talent who could partner Dier in years to come.

You could have a career in stand up.

We're never going to get that kind of money for him, the way the transfer market is there's no point trying to compare values realistically.

I reckon we'll get around £15m + for him if anyone wants him enough. A bit frustrating, I don't think he's been as good as I think he is/want him to be. In an argument for him, hardly playing in a settled back 4 makes it hard for any player, but despite the odd good performance I wouldn't be too upset to see him leave.

It's hard to judge a CB on their own because the system they play in and partner they play with can affect so much of their game.

Chelsea's pairing looks great, so long as Matic is able to break up play in front of them. Like we showed in the 5-3 game, if you can get Matic out of position and run at them, you can really do a number on them.

We've got a similar problem. Our pairings don't have a lot of time together, and don't communicate as well as they should, so if you can get through our midfield, you can create problems. How much of that is down to Jan I am not sure. He definitely has faults, but he's not a terrible player. If he goes, it wouldn't be great, but he isn't irreplaceable.

He needs a leader in the back 4 with him because it's clear he is not one! Best season was when he was partnered with a no-nonsense leader like Dawson. Probably looked at his best this season when partnered with a similar player to Dawson, Fazio. Problem is Fazio is a catastrophe every other game sort of defender! Jan alongside Dier looks very weak IMO

I think he will stay for another season and see how the club develops. If we managed to get into the CL next season, he will extend his contract by a year or 2. If not, at age 29, he will join a CL club and play for 4-5 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom