Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolute rock and hopefully he'll stay with us for a number of years, did really well to get the ball out of his feet with and unleash the shot which lead to our 1st goal on Saturday.

I've always rated him as a top class CB. The idea that Sherwood (who I've always been neutral on) could suggest:

"Tim Sherwood has taken aim at Tottenham’s Jan Verthonghen once more insisting: ‘He just can’t defend’.
The former Spurs boss laid into the Belgian after he produced yet another unconvincing display in the club’s 3-0 defeat to Chelsea.Sherwood said: “Vertonghen is so poor. Can’t move his feet. He looks elegant with the ball but he just can’t defend, this guy.

is ludicrous - poor Tim. Verts is Vice Capt to Kompany in the Belgium national side for christ sake. He oozes quality, we would be a much poorer side without him.

I have been critical of his performances and more so his attitude over the past 18 months.

He looks to have a new lease of life under Poch, particularly with Fazio by his side, but he seems to be leading from the back regardless of who his partner is.

Just what we've needed back there. Between him and Lloris we have a very influential spine.

Any #ITK have any idea when his contract runs out?

Vertonghen is easily our best defender even on his worst day. His movemoment and position can be somewhat comparable to ledly king. He is the organiser in the back 4. Bad spell a the club due the negative and toxic influence of tim sherwood. 3rd Rate PE Teacher who wanted to sack everyone, so that segment can be clearly written off as an outlier. Happy for Vert, lets keep him happy not by a new contact but by showing some ambition this transfer window

Vertonghen is easily our best defender even on his worst day. His movemoment and position can be somewhat comparable to ledly king. He is the organiser in the back 4. Bad spell a the club due the negative and toxic influence of tim sherwood. 3rd Rate PE Teacher who wanted to sack everyone, so that segment can be clearly written off as an outlier. Happy for Vert, lets keep him happy not by a new contact but by showing some ambition this transfer window
Bit of an exaggeration. We've seen too many of his worth days the past 24 months and he is certainly not our best defender at those times. I would also pick Ledley King every time over Jan, and that isn't nostalgia - the guy was consistently our best player even through his knee troubles. We'd do well to get the same passion and performances out of Jan as we did Ledley. I've seen Jan's head drop far too many times for him to have been the organiser. He seemed very unhappy under AVB, I was at The Lane on a number of occasions when we needed a leader and someone to take responsibility - he certainly didn't.

He's turned over a new leaf and we have the old Jan back. The longer Poch can keep him motivated, the more our team will benefit. Superb lately, at both ends of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom