Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did I just read King and Vertonghen compared in the same sentence? Think I might be having a hallucinatory episode.

Vertonghen is a decent player but hell...

Aye. Something we've not had for years. I'm all good with pretty boys and fancy flicks, but we need a complete cunt in our team.
There's a difference between a hard-tackling, physical presence on the pitch and a dirty, thug. The later offers you nothing more than what a good, physical can and the former can often be a more dynamic player than the thug

I would say that Stambouli fits that profile. He is really starting to hit some good form lately and doesn'thave to be a cunt to be effective.

QUOTE="AberdeenYid, post: 707364, member: 356"]Aye. Something we've not had for years. I'm all good with pretty boys and fancy flicks, but we need a complete cunt in our team.[/QUOTE]

:adestare:
But is there room for two?

There's a difference between a hard-tackling, physical presence on the pitch and a dirty, thug. The later offers you nothing more than what a good, physical can and the former can often be a more dynamic player than the thug

I would say that Stambouli fits that profile. He is really starting to hit some good form lately and doesn'thave to be a cunt to be effective.

As good has been, if he misses his man, his recovery is so slow he makes Huddlestone look like Usain Bolt

Don't ever doubt the bloke again. That was full on "I'm gonna rip your head off" stuff. If he fucked off tomorrow that was legendary. Jan is the man
Should have gone and choked the guy, what a diver that guy was except Walker was having none of it LOL

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen says it is an excellent time to be playing for the north London club.

Spurs romped to a 3-0 victory at West Brom on Saturday and are currently fifth in the Premier League table, very much in contention for Champions League qualification.

And Mauricio Pochettino’s men also have the Capital One Cup final against Chelsea and a two-legged Europa League encounter with Fiorentina to look forward to.

“It is very exciting times,” said Vertonghen.

“It’s a shame we are out of the FA Cup as we wanted to keep active in four competitions but we’re still in the Europa League.

“We have big games coming up in February and obviously on the 1st of March (Capital One Cup final) but we have a lot of games to win before we go there.”

In-form Spurs duo Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane shared the three goals between them at West Brom and Vertonghen says it is key that they continue to perform.

Eriksen has been superb from set-pieces of late and, having watched him find the target with another free-kick, Vertonghen said: “Just beforehand, I said to Danny Rose ‘If he scores this again, it’s unbelievable’. And he did it again.

“He deserves it. He practices those every day and you can see that it has paid off.

“Harry is another one that deserves it. He keeps working hard in training, he keeps showing the right mentality, and you saw that again today.

“I hope they can keep scoring because they are two big players for us.”

Jan Vertonghen believes this is the most complete Tottenham side he has played in, and he feels Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen are on their way to emulating Gareth Bale’s matchwinning displays for the club.

image.jpg

Harry Kane (left) and Christian Eriksen have scored 31 goals for Spurs between them this season

Vertonghen arrived at White Hart Lane in the summer of 2012 and, in the following campaign, a Lilywhites outfit inspired by Bale and managed by Andre Villas-Boas were just beaten to fourth place by Woolwich, missing out by one point on the final day.

Bale scored 26 goals for Spurs that year, aided by Jermain Defoe (15), Clint Dempsey (12) and Gylfi Sigurdsson (seven).

Last season was a disappointing one, with Tottenham falling 10 points short and finishing sixth, but they are right in the race under Mauricio Pochettino this term.

Harry Kane struck his 19th and 20th goals of the campaign in Saturday’s 3-0 victory at West Brom, while Christian Eriksen was on target for the 11th time, leaving Spurs two points behind fourth-placed Southampton and arch-rivals Woolwich ahead of the weekend’s crucial north London derby at White Hart Lane.

image.jpg

Mousa Dembele has started the last two games in an advanced role behind the striker - to great effect

“I think we had a very good team in my first year as well but Gareth was outstanding, even a class higher than what we have now,” said Vertonghen. “But we’ve got a couple of guys who can achieve the same performances as he did, and they’re on their way.

“I think we’re more complete. We still have a long way to go but what we are doing now is unbelievable. In the beginning of the season we had some problems creating chances and now they’re coming out of nowhere.

“Harry and Christian are just unbelievable players - but I don’t want to just talk about them. We’re very happy that Nacer [Chadli] is back and we can score from everywhere. Our full-backs did a great job on Saturday too, and we’re just getting more and more complete.”

Chadli has contributed nine goals this season, while another of Vertonghen’s fellow Belgians – Mousa Dembele – has enjoyed something of a renaissance in the past week.

Having been deployed as a defensive midfielder for much of his time under Villas-Boas and Pochettino, the 27-year-old was moved forward into the No10 position at Sheffield United last Wednesday and excelled in the role.

Dembele then started behind the striker again at West Brom on Saturday and set up two goals in the first 15 minutes, winning the free kick that produced Eriksen’s early opener and then finding Kane as the England Under-21 striker doubled Spurs’ lead.

“I think he [Dembele] needed two performances like this, and he can be up there [for us] as well,” said Vertonghen. “He’s not a natural goalscorer but had a great assist [at West Brom] and was important in winning the free kick as well.”

Tottenham fans continue to debate where the enigmatic Dembele is most effective, and Vertonghen admits he isn’t sure either.

“I don’t know because he’s very strong defensively as well,” he said. “With a good No6 next to him he can do what he did for two seasons.

“I don’t know what his best position is - I think he can play right wing and right full-back because he has this strength in him that no-one can pass him. He’s just one of those players that you want in your team.”

Tottenham are now preparing for two crunch clashes against top-four rivals Woolwich and Liverpool, with Saturday’s north London derby being quickly followed by a trip to Anfield on Tuesday night.

“I don’t want to say they will be decisive, but they will be very important for us,” said Vertonghen. “A home game against Woolwich is always something special and, against Liverpool, we haven’t done too well in the last couple of years but we have to go there and try to win.

“We’ve won more big games than we did in the last two years but we lost a couple of stupid home games so we need to win points against them to achieve the fourth place, and that’s very important.”

Vertonghen is likely to start both games, having been in the line-up for 13 of the last 14 matches in all competitions.

“I think it’s good for centre-backs to play as many games as possible because it’s one of those positions where you really need to adapt to one another,” he said.

“For strikers, midfielders and full-backs it’s different, you need more rest, but for a goalkeeper and centre-backs it’s good to play a certain amount of games a week and I’m happy to have the confidence of the manager.”

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/s..._complete_spurs_side_i_ve_played_in_1_3940772

I like him, but alot of the time I see him play he seems like a liability. When I say that I mean as in Dier throws his body on the line to stop a shot, Jan has a half assed tackle then if they get away he makes sure his hairs pretty before running after them, I like him but he is a modern CB in a good and bad way.

I like him, but alot of the time I see him play he seems like a liability. When I say that I mean as in Dier throws his body on the line to stop a shot, Jan has a half assed tackle then if they get away he makes sure his hairs pretty before running after them, I like him but he is a modern CB in a good and bad way.

Agree.. Love Jan, and the good far outweighs the positive, but he does always seem to have a mistake in him.

Back
Top Bottom