I've melted.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's fine, but I think you're also broadly mischaracterizing what some of us are trying to say. In that post you take the stance that if CL participation wasn't good enough for us, then we're being unrealistic and acting entitled. What I - and I think others - am trying to say is not that we should expect to be winning 100% of games and smashing people left and right, but rather that people's expectations are unrealistic and that a lot of the problems that the club are facing now are nothing new, and that people whining and moaning about every bad result are holding the team back from actually working the kinks out and moving ahead.

The only thing I challenged was in the origonal post, was the part that said:
My general feeling under Redknapp was one of frustration, I always thought it clear there was so much more to come from that group that he would never realise.

That to me suggests we underachieved during his tenure. Ive pointed out why I think that is absolutely ludicrous.

If Ive read too much into that line, then Id really like to know what he actually meant.

I have no sense of entitlement. I enjoyed every second of our successes. I dont appreciate it being inferred Im a cunt. I certainly didnt call it mundane.

Im not interested in furthering this anymore.

I didnt infer you were a cunt and if you enjoyed every second of our success then why did you say that your general feeling under Redknapp was one of frustration and that you always thought we could have done better?

Oh, dont answer...you've played your "Nasty Sammy" get out of jail card.

You know what's kind of depressing that again we all find ourselves saying that we cant wait for the summer then we can re bulid/get another manager in and go for it next season....seem to say that alot as a spurs fan!

No. Winner only from this season. Europa League place returned to the PL for 6th placed team. The team taking the spot for the Carling Cup winners is the lowest ranked and has to start in the 3rd qualifier. So finishing 7th in a WC year would be a nightmare.

This is utterly dependent on the Goons winning it. Which they won't.

Thought that was next season... Or maybe it was next season, last season....

:myword:

So you want someone "conniving" to remain in the backroom staff, the same man who is rumoured to have been undermining AVB from the start of the season? Personally I want the whole lot gone, Him, Sir Les, Tony Parks and so on. Fresh start all round I think is need - especially if there's a rotten apple back there.
You've pretty much made a mockery of your past comments. You're basically using one set of post game interviews to now judge that Sherwood probably has what it takes. That's bonkers. Having the ability to spot that there is a problem with the squad and spirit doesn't equate to knowing how to fix it. These are problems I have spotted for weeks, but I'm not claiming to be able to pitch up to the Lane and fix them and therefore won't be handing my CV to Levy.

If Sherwood has lost the players, which is appears he has, he should go as the task to regain their belief will be immense and likely beyond his capabilities.

I don't really know tbh. I was being cautious against the fact that there's little solid fact to support that he's a bad apple, but I'm just torn these days.

I think it's because he's done the things that we perhaps wanted AVB to do - notice he has a problem, do a post match like a guy who supports the club, and not be afraid to change things tactically.

One thing I will admit is that I wouldn't be bothered to see Ferdinand & Ramsay go, as with the rest of the coaching staff, based on on-field performances. Training must be woeful.

I just think that it's important we keep someone with knowledge of the young lads coming through :/

You know what's kind of depressing that again we all find ourselves saying that we cant wait for the summer then we can re bulid/get another manager in and go for it next season....seem to say that alot as a spurs fan!

We're metaphorically like someone who wants a long term relationship so they can plan kids & a mortgage....

Everytime we get close to long term stability, she goes and fucks the postman, stops putting out, or admits she'd run off with the bloke next door.

Or, in the case of AVB, he's best metaphorically compared to my ex. When we were dating, she kept banging on about how great she was in bed and she was the queen of bj. 18 months later I couldn't help but feel I'd been mis-sold the whole thing and think ("was that it?").

(never once got one bj off the bint)
:saha:

It's alright asking for more time for some, but what we need is someone who wants to achieve success with us, and isn't looking for the next step up.

I have this annoying feeling that we're not going to get him, though.

I didnt infer you were a cunt and if you enjoyed every second of our success then why did you say that your general feeling under Redknapp was one of frustration and that you always thought we could have done better?

Oh, dont answer...you've played your "Nasty Sammy" get out of jail card.

Youve jumped down my throat for no good reason, and done the usual "twist a post to suit my agenda of arguing" thing. Ive no interest at all in playing along for a few days twisting it to death as others have with you this past week, hence Id rather just walk away and leave it before it becomes WW3.

Thats not a "Nasty Sammy get out of jail free card" its a "I can see exactly how this is going to go and I cant be bothered with the ball ache so Im out card".

To be perfectly clear, its not all black and white, as you seem to want to keep things.

I enjoyed a lot of the football. I thought we could do better.
I loved every minute of our successes. I thought we could have achieved more.
I applaud Redknapp for all the good he did. I was actually quite happy to see him go as I thought he was holding us back.

Not sure where that sits in your worldview, and dont really care at this point because trying to debate is futile.

We're metaphorically like someone who wants a long term relationship so they can plan kids & a mortgage....

Everytime we get close to long term stability, she goes and fucks the postman, stops putting out, or admits she'd run off with the bloke next door.

Or, in the case of AVB, he's best metaphorically compared to my ex. When we were dating, she kept banging on about how great she was in bed and she was the queen of bj. 18 months later I couldn't help but feel I'd been mis-sold the whole thing and think ("was that it?").

It's alright asking for more time for some, but what we need is someone who wants to achieve success with us, and isn't looking for the next step up.

Brilliant!!!!!

This is why i wanted Hoddle. I think he would have loved another crack at the club and also he would have gained the respect of the players. thing is it was always a gamble with Tim and one i think we were brave/stupid to make. employing a manager with no previous experience let alone top flight experience. i do think he will go away and in a few years become a good manager but at the moment he is like a work experience lad learning on the job

Brilliant!!!!!

This is why i wanted Hoddle. I think he would have loved another crack at the club and also he would have gained the respect of the players. thing is it was always a gamble with Tim and one i think we were brave/stupid to make. employing a manager with no previous experience let alone top flight experience. i do think he will go away and in a few years become a good manager but at the moment he is like a work experience lad learning on the job

Hoddle is the guy we all would want to work out as a long term success, but I think really we all know it would never happen. He tried before and had a very bad spell (overall, 9th in 01/02 wasn't too bad at the time).
Bear in mind 13 years ago he paid £10.6m for Richards (after add ons, like it was initial £8m), and over £5m each for Bunjevcevic and Ziege.

I mean, £10.6m is the modern equivalent of £30m of so, even at £8m it was more than Fulham paid for van Der Sar.
Hoddle with £30m to spend would be scary shit :adewtf:

I think that he's better off being remembered for the good, rather than risk his status with the club by another relegation zone visit

I loved every minute of our successes. I thought we could have achieved more.

Which means you thought we under achieved.

The only point I addressed, which people started defending and saying I had picked up wrong.
I clearly didnt pick it up wrong, and I still think its an absurd claim.

People seem to confuse the Modric and Bale of today with those players 4 years ago. Why not take a look at the rest of the team, and then take a look at our bench 3/4 years ago.

Is it that you think we should have come 3rd? Or you think that team should have won the title?

Or is it just a cup we should have won?

Last edited:

Pictures please

Which means you thought we under achieved.

The only point I addressed, which people started defending and saying I had picked up wrong.
I clearly didnt pick it up wrong, and I still think its an absurd claim.

People seem to confuse the Modric and Bale of today with those players 4 years ago. Why not take a look at the rest of the team, and then take a look at our bench 3/4 years ago.

Is it that you think we should have come 3rd? Or you think that team should have won the title?

Or is it just a cup we should have won?

A season's success in the league is down to how many games they win lose and draw, hence how many points they achieve. If we won the league with 40 points because every other team drew every match they had, that wouldn't be a success, it'd be causality. We'd never look back and go "wow we did good"

Last Season: 5th place, 72 points
Won 21, Drew 9 Lost 8, 66 for, 46 against. +20 GD

HR - 2011/12: 4th place, 69 points
Won 20, Drew 9 Lost 9, 66 for, 41 against. +25 GD

HR - 2010/11: 4th Place, 62 points
Won 16, Drew 14, Lost 8, 55 for, 46 against. +9 GD

We've been gettin better, and last season's squad did better (winning one more game) without VdV and Modric. Pretty much same squad otherwise.

That one extra win would have got us 3rd the season before. Simple maths suggests that it was achievable.

I don't expect you to accept this, as you have made it clear as to your thoughts on the subject and inability to recognise last season, but it's still there as our best season in the league regardless of opinion

Hoddle is the guy we all would want to work out as a long term success, but I think really we all know it would never happen. He tried before and had a very bad spell (overall, 9th in 01/02 wasn't too bad at the time).
Bear in mind 13 years ago he paid £10.6m for Richards (after add ons, like it was initial £8m), and over £5m each for Bunjevcevic and Ziege.

I mean, £10.6m is the modern equivalent of £30m of so, even at £8m it was more than Fulham paid for van Der Sar.
Hoddle with £30m to spend would be scary shit :adewtf:

I think that he's better off being remembered for the good, rather than risk his status with the club by another relegation zone visit

I still think he might have been a better option until the end of the season. I think after the start we had and with all the new players we needed a "manager" no disrespect to Sherwood.

Agree with the transfer policy but someone like hoddle would have got some of our more gifted players playing and he might also have been able to teach lennon how to cross a ball

If we won the league with 40 points because every other team drew every match they had, that wouldn't be a success, it'd be causality.

Yet on the flip side, you laud gaining 72pts even though we finished below 4th and failed our objective.

but it's still there as our best season in the league regardless of opinion

Oh, I thought it was only me who was so arrogant that I decided who's opinion counted or not....clearly you share my self righteousness.

And as for opinion, I guess it depends on if you value points over position.

Seeing as its first place that wins the title, and the top 4 that gets CL football, regardless of points gained, Id say that 4th trumps 5th.

If we finished 2nd on 88pts, and next year we won the league on 82pts, you would think that was a worse season.

Fucking hilarious.

:adethumbup:

I still think he might have been a better option until the end of the season. I think after the start we had and with all the new players we needed a "manager" no disrespect to Sherwood.

Agree with the transfer policy but someone like hoddle would have got some of our more gifted players playing and he might also have been able to teach lennon how to cross a ball

Of course, but it was never going to happen with Sherwood in his ear like gollum

gollum.jpg
~
"Remember Master, you sacked Hoddleses last time Master. Naughty Hoddleses. Give Shmerwood a chance, you like Shmerwood"

Back
Top Bottom