In defence of the defence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we were TERRIBLE in defense against Woolwich. Kaboul was bombarded so often from the wings, it was almost comical. Any other day that could have been a nightmare.

Where were the clear cut chances? Can't remember hardly any, maybe the header from a setpiece (but not from open play).

Rose, certainly in the second half, was a match for Chamberlain. Who was their best player. Let them swing balls into the box, we could deal with them. It was inviting the right kind of pressure rather than letting them run in behind. Following Liverpool, Sunderland and West Brom, that's progress and a manager who is learning how to set up his side. I like the flexibility.

Obviously the side will be better with Walker in it, he was our best player until injury last season (imho), but getting more out of squad players is to be welcomed. We're not going to find many better fullbacks to sit on the bench when the first choice ones are back/integrated. Other clubs get far more out of far less than we tend to.

[Wrote the piece btw]

Lamela and Naughton cost the goal.

Hands down Lamela cost that goal. He ran to the ball, where Naughton already was, to make up for his terrible clearance and left Cazorla/Alexis (whoever it was) completely free on the edge of the area. He stays on his runner, there's no chance. That's 5 a side, kids defending 101.

He set up our goal, so not a witch hunt, but shows where his game has to improve off the ball (as did West Brom).

Where were the clear cut chances? Can't remember hardly any, maybe the header from a setpiece (but not from open play).

Rose, certainly in the second half, was a match for Chamberlain. Who was their best player. Let them swing balls into the box, we could deal with them. It was inviting the right kind of pressure rather than letting them run in behind. Following Liverpool, Sunderland and West Brom, that's progress and a manager who is learning how to set up his side. I like the flexibility.

Obviously the side will be better with Walker in it, he was our best player until injury last season (imho), but getting more out of squad players is to be welcomed. We're not going to find many better fullbacks to sit on the bench when the first choice ones are back/integrated. Other clubs get far more out of far less than we tend to.

[Wrote the piece btw]
i see you use IMHO...
don't you know, here, we dont care about you opinion. its wrong and from satan.
:eriksenlol:
beacuse of...reasons... dont argue.

Hands down Lamela cost that goal. He ran to the ball, where Naughton already was, to make up for his terrible clearance and left Cazorla/Alexis (whoever it was) completely free on the edge of the area. He stays on his runner, there's no chance. That's 5 a side, kids defending 101.

He set up our goal, so not a witch hunt, but shows where his game has to improve off the ball (as did West Brom).

I mentioned Lamela.

Naughton stood off after Lamela gave it away. He didn't press. He made it very comfortable to allow the buildup.

[Wrote the piece btw]

You didn't see so many clear cut chances because Kaboul was forced to win so many battles.

It was a heroic effort, and at the root of that was the sheer volume of uncontested crosses, through balls and runners amok because of poor team defending on the flanks.

Through the middle I agree with your assessment.

I mentioned Lamela.

Naughton stood off after Lamela gave it away. He didn't press. He made it very comfortable to allow the buildup.

Take your point, but I think if Naughton gets any closer he can get beaten or even worse dive in. If Lamela stayed with his man, there's not a dangerous pass on. Thought Naughton did the right thing, or close to it.

Take your point, but I think if Naughton gets any closer he can get beaten or even worse dive in. If Lamela stayed with his man, there's not a dangerous pass on. Thought Naughton did the right thing, or close to it.

And Walker would have done that. Fucked shit up. haha.

IMO Naughton has everything he needs to be a top defender. Apart from a pair of balls. The only time I've seen some needle from him is when he had a horror show and galvanized in the second half last season. He needs to put the fear of god into people. He's way too tepid IMO.

He has it in him, but he'd rather pass the buck like he did after Lamela fucked up. I said before the game, a right side of Naughton and Lamela is trouble.

Thats why I would play Dier over him. As average as he's looked recently, he will still go for the jugglar and not pussy out of the challenge.

we drew that game, and I DONT give a shit how and who defended. Defence is a unit, slagging off Rose and now Naughton is not a solution.

Thats not my point. IMO praising them is dangerous because any other day, if Kaboul was not in the form of his life, it would have been the darkest day.

The praise of Kaboul having his best game should not leak to other players who dropped him deep in the shit.

Thats not my point. IMO praising them is dangerous because any other day, if Kaboul was not in the form of his life, it would have been the darkest day.

The praise of Kaboul having his best game should not leak to other players who dropped him deep in the shit.
so what you are saying is that if we win against City or Chelsea 2-0, we shouldnt praise those who scored, or Hugo for not letting in 27 goals, and why ? because Dembele had an average game, thus far we suck as a unit?
Most of the games are changed by one or two players.
OK, i get it, Rose and Naughton in you opinion (which by all means, is ALWAYS right) are gonna cost us the World Domination.
oh and the absolute fuck man ? i was not praising them. i was simply saying that they are not everything thats our problem.
yes, we can do better, we should have better players, but we dont, and right now, we drew aginst the utter scum, in their cornfield. yet you think only one player had their hand in this game, everybody else were shite.

so what you are saying is that if we win against City or Chelsea 2-0, we shouldnt praise those who scored, or Hugo for not letting in 27 goals, and why ? because Dembele had an average game, thus far we suck as a unit?
Most of the games are changed by one or two players.
OK, i get it, Rose and Naughton in you opinion (which by all means, is ALWAYS right) are gonna cost us the World Domination.
oh and the absolute fuck man ? i was not praising them. i was simply saying that they are not everything thats our problem.
yes, we can do better, we should have better players, but we dont, and right now, we drew aginst the utter scum, in their cornfield. yet you think only one player had their hand in this game, everybody else were shite.

I didn't say you praised them. I was ref to the article that it's dangerous to praise a defence when that defence led to our CBs being overun.

50% of that defense waved through everything. I suppose the best way to look at it is when the opposition frustrates us and parks the bus we can't make inroads. They made inroads. It took an individual, not a back 4 to park the bus. He was a oneman bendy bus.

And you can stop the fake outrage. You know I'm making a good point that the floodgates were open and jan and Kaboul had to be on thier top game as did our keeper.

so what you are saying is that if we win against City or 2-0 we shouldn't praise those who scored...

:leaveityeah:

????

Btw Thats up there with some of the worst villainous words stuffed into my mouth I've come across. Quite the tangent there.

You are getting kinda impossible to reason with.

:leaveityeah:

????

Btw Thats up there with some of the worst villainous words stuffed into my mouth I've come across. Quite the tangent there.

You are getting kinda impossible to reason with.
the only person who has the right to say im wrong is my S/O. :adesalute:
also i must say, its quite amusing that you said "impossible to reason with" as you are the one who gets into arguments with virtually anybody.

Back
Top Bottom