I'm gay. I'm having a ticket over you!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If a gay player wants to hide his sexuality to further his career, why should anyone else back him?

People come out every day, in difficult situations, some face life and death.

Who really cares about Gay players. If they were good players no one would care. A bit like the stick black players once got. When "fans" realized the stick they were giving out was wrong and pointless it went away. Not many I know hate gays. I dislike the mincers as I don't see why they have to put on a act - but who cares?
Really?

Just to clarify, there are plenty of agents who are aware that their player is gay, they advise their clients not to come out, there are pros and cons. I think you have to respect the personal choice of that individual.

I am not out at work for the very simple reason that it does me no benefit and it's none of their business, you might find this is the thought process of our notional gay PL player, not everyone wants to be that guy who is open and prepared to take the flack and be the one that stands out. Say that they do, well up till now once he tells his agent, they are likely to discourage him.

There was an interesting point on the coming out age. That really is very varied, I know some people who I knew were likely to be gay at 5 and another guy who didn't realise till he was about 30. Gareth Thomas is an interesting one, I think he might have realised a fair bit later. It's definitely a possibility that a guy could only realise they were gay or bi in their 20s which would mean that they can be a fully developed player in the time.

I think its a sad state of the football culture that a footballer can beat his wife, get done for drink driving, etc and still in a way be welcomed back on to the pitch and in away this is accepted...
But if he came out as being gay would prob be chased out the game

its sad really

I think its a sad state of the football culture that a footballer can beat his wife, get done for drink driving, etc and still in a way be welcomed back on to the pitch and in away this is accepted...

its sad really

Don't forget rapists. Both convicted and heavily rumoured.

its sad really
I like to think that if one of our players came out the fanbase as a whole would be very positive and supportive. But he would get terrible abuse from other teams fans. Not to mention the fact that the media would be constantly after him for interviews and he would be expected to become a major public figure. You can see why no one comes out.

It will happen one day though and it will not be such a big thing for the second player who decides to come out. I think we will see it in the next 10 years.

I like to think that if one of our players came out the fanbase as a whole would be very positive and supportive. But he would get terrible abuse from other teams fans. Not to mention the fact that the media would be constantly after him for interviews and he would be expected to become a major public figure. You can see why no one comes out.

It will happen one day though and it will not be such a big thing for the second player who decides to come out. I think we will see it in the next 10 years.

I think no matter what club it is (first player to come out) the home fan base will be supportive, yet away fans will abuse.

Weird as well because the away fans abusing would be supportive of their own if that was the case. Just an easy target.

My opinions of course.

The first top level footballer to come out will make an absolute packet off the back of it.

i agree i think the supporters of the players team will be supportive..but can you imagine if he had a slump in form, pull out of a 50/50 i think we can guess what the abuse would be!

That first person in top flight football that comes out as you say will be a very brave man and hopefully the football community would rally round and say so what? but i fear this will not happen

i agree i think the supporters of the players team will be supportive..but can you imagine if he had a slump in form, pull out of a 50/50 i think we can guess what the abuse would be!

That first person in top flight football that comes out as you say will be a very brave man and hopefully the football community would rally round and say so what? but i fear this will not happen

I doubt the crowd would start a chant so it would just be individuals shouting abuse same as would happen now only they'd call him a ginger/fat/lank cunt instead.

You're right...let's just hope it's not Eriksen!

Back
Top Bottom