Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

200.gif

Great news re Hugo. To think AVB didn't play him when he first joined. Very bad move by him

Wasn't that only for about three games though Greaves? Might be remembering it wrong. But it would have been harsh to drop Friedel immediately. Can't remember now but did Friedel cost us badly in the few games he played after Lloris' arrival - cos I've seen this idea crop up a few times. Anyway well happy he's signed the contract as we've got him for at least another season now!

I love Hugo to pieces and delighted we get one more year of a keeper too good for us

Just watch out with the captain thing though, 5 year deal means 1 year + 4 that Madrid pay for - end of

Wasn't that only for about three games though Greaves? Might be remembering it wrong. But it would have been harsh to drop Friedel immediately. Can't remember now but did Friedel cost us badly in the few games he played after Lloris' arrival - cos I've seen this idea crop up a few times. Anyway well happy he's signed the contract as we've got him for at least another season now!
No it was more than three games. I, along with ArcSpace on another forum, was furious about it. Fell out badly with others on there over it. It was an absolute insult to the captain of France to be bought by us, and then benched.

But loads of people thought that was the right thing to do, hence the massive rows.

For me, what's happened since is a justification of what I said then, massive mistake by AVB.

Just heard the news!! I doubt anything will get me more excited than this for the rest of the transfer window. Lloris is absolutely our best player (I love Eriksen, but how he got Player of the Year baffles me) and without a doubt the key to having a good season.

No it was more than three games. I, along with ArcSpace on another forum, was furious about it. Fell out badly with others on there over it. It was an absolute insult to the captain of France to be bought by us, and then benched.

But loads of people thought that was the right thing to do, hence the massive rows.

For me, what's happened since is a justification of what I said then, massive mistake by AVB.

I see yeah, it was seven games actually (not including the game against Norwich on 1 September since loris was signed the day before).

Of those seven games, we won four.

The three we lost were against Chelsea, man city, and Wigan.

So while it's possible to say with Lloris we might not have lost those games, realistically I don't get why those three defeats can be pointed to as if they were such a huge mistake compared to anything else, or vindicated anyone who was vehemently opposed to Friedel playing.

All just opinions of course.

I see yeah, it was seven games actually (not including the game against Norwich on 1 September since loris was signed the day before).

So while it's possible to say with Lloris we might not have lost those games, realistically I don't get why those three defeats can be pointed to as if they were such a huge mistake compared to anything else, or vindicated anyone who was vehemently opposed to Friedel playing.

AVB was wrong, imv - even Hugo himself admitted he considered leaving as a result

AVB was wrong, imv - even Hugo himself admitted he considered leaving as a result

Over seven games... That's a ridiculous attitude for a grown up. If have lost respect for any player who left a club over that.

Not defending the decision to keep Friedel for those seven games here as tbh I don't care either way. But don't like when players are drama queens.

Well, mainly it's a matter of principle. We sign the captain of France, one of the top goalkeepers in the world. Now that it is an amazing coup for a club our size. But first of all the insular British meda didn't seem to understand what a coup it was, and I think, IIRC, someone else we signed that summer got more attention. (May have been Dembele)

The French thought, correctly, that we had done incredibly well to get such a player, and were absolutely furious as was was I, when their captain was then benched.

Now no disrespect to Brad, a player and a man I hold in great esteem, but he was 40 years old at the time IIRC, and yet Lloris was made number two. and boy did the media rub that in, for long after Hugo had got his place, there were still doubts cast on him as to who was first choice.

As to the results, you've looked them up, but I don't remember them being like that. I recall us dropping crucial home points in two home games, once to West Brom, and ' stay on the line Brad' being at fault in both games. Though he made some some good saves too.

We only missed out on CL by one point IIRC, so assuming we did lose to Wigan that was disastrous. Also, Hugo kept a clean sheet v Villa which we won, then was dropped for Chelsea, which was appalling, and Brad had a nightmare.

But as I say it was the principle of the matter, and the shabby treatment in general that Lloris got that I hated.

How many times have we signed a world class player this century? I can only think of one, Hugo. Was he treated like a hero and feted on his arrival, most emphatically NO. Players like Soldado Lamela Dembele got far more fuss made over them, and they weren't and still aren't at Hugo's level.

I agree it's great news but didn't he have 2 years left on his contract not 1?

Yes, which means he would have played out this season and then we would have been over a barrel and his value would be a fraction of what it now is.

It is horrible thinking in such terms but that is just how it goes....

How can you fall out with people about it?

I agree.

AVB was villified at Chelsea for attempting a radical overhaul, and therefore figured he would graduate Lloris into the team whilst not making a cunt of Friedel...It was a little frustrating but the motive behind it was sound, and the matches we lost weren't Friedel's fault.

Also, it was two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom