Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree.

AVB was villified at Chelsea for attempting a radical overhaul, and therefore figured he would graduate Lloris into the team whilst not making a cunt of Friedel...It was a little frustrating but the motive behind it was sound, and the matches we lost weren't Friedel's fault.

Also, it was two years ago.

The matches we lost weren't but the matches we drew were his fault.

Just making a correction.

I never liked AVB but have no idea how that situation with Lloris should have been handled. Don't think you can drop Brad when he was making key saves but you can't bench a keeper like Lloris. Tough one.
I agree with you 100%. To chop Brad off at the knees would have been wrong, and to ease Hugo into the side made sense. IMO it was a reasonably well handled change over.

when you sign a world class keeper after the season has started, you bring him into training, you see how he goes, how he mixes with the group, and if the form of the incumbent dips you introduce him to the team...if not, you choose a suitable game to get him a start.
The problem with your example is that you are comparing apples and oranges. Outfield players to keepers. If kane and soldado are scoring two each every game, you can afford to bring on messi for 20 at a time for a few weeks. but we dont do that with keepers.
I disagree. If you buy a world class keeper, you give him a few days to settle in, then you play him in the next available match, especially if the incumbent is 40 years old. Oranges et Brie, mange tout.

Incidentally I have a little ditty pour Hugo

He flies through the air with the greatest of ease
He's the captain of France and his name is Lloris.

The way we 'eased Hugo in' didn't make sense, in fact it was a scandalous mistreatment of him that rightly had the French fuming, and I suspect Hugo and Levy likewise.

It may well have cost us us a CL spot, and was early and crucial evidence of AVB's incompetence in player management.

I disagree. If you buy a world class keeper, you give him a few days to settle in, then you play him in the next available match, especially if the incumbent is 40 years old. Oranges et Brie, mange tout.

The way we 'eased Hugo in' didn't make sense, in fact it was a scandalous mistreatment of him that rightly had the French fuming, and I suspect Hugo and Levy likewise.

It may well have cost us us a CL spot, and was early and crucial evidence of AVB's incompetence in player management.
You , me or no one else knows what the converstions between Levy, Lloris and Villas Boas were when Lloris signed. As it is, his vastly different style to Friedel suggests that the sensible route, as he joined us after the season had started would be to get players used to how they do things and to ease him in.
Its certainly not mistreatment. NO player, no matter how good, should be immune from being dropped if they dont perform. and If the incumbent does perform, then any professional worth his salt should expect to have wait to get his chance. and to be quite frank, i couldnt give a shit if deschamps was happy or not.

as for it costing us a champions league spot, thats pure conjecture. Unless you know for a fact that lloris would not have conceded any of the goals in a game where we dropped points you can have nothing apart from your own opinion to back that up. One could more easily argue it was getting a 5-2 spanking in the death star cost us a place in the champions league. as we probably lost that one cos adebayor got himself sent off, maybe you would prefer to use that game as the one to blame Villas Boas for us losing, after all, he picked adebayor in that game.

Friedel on Lloris...
"I said this when I first signed at the club," said the veteran goalkeeper. "A club like Tottenham deserve a youngish, experienced goalkeeper that can be at the club 10-14 years, and hopefully they have one in Hugo.

"You've seen what his exceptional talents are - he's one of the best goalkeepers in the world at coming off his line on through balls, exceptionally quick in that regard.

"Mauricio is going to have the luxury of seeing someone who has a couple of seasons experience in the Premier League.

"I can't speak highly enough of the guy, he's a very good pro, very good guy, very nice to work with.

"You saw his performances in the World Cup, he was one of the better goalkeepers again.

"It was a very good signing for Tottenham to extend his contract."

Been on holiday and only just seen this. I am delighted that Hugo has signed an extension, and his comments although roughly what i expected, seem to be particularly positive about our new manager. Will this be the first summer in recent memory where one of our very best players won't be leaving? So happy we get to see Hugo as our number 1 again this coming season. Gutted to all the other clubs in the league with inferior keepers.

You're consistent at least Greaves :bae:
That defeat to Wigan, which could easily still have happened if Lloris was in goal, was no more the reason that we didn't make the champs league, than any other defeat, surely? It's a strange argument to be so attached to.

Greaves is talking shite. Anyway no one has mentioned the fact Lloris did play, in the europa league.. To get acclimatised to the team and vice versa. Friedel and Lloris are completely different and anyone that thinks Lloris should have been thrown in straight away is a stupid arsehole. #JustSaying

Footage of Lloris and Dawson's first interaction after Lloris was named captain...

WzKQNoi.gif

Only just seen this as well, brilliant news. I was seriously worried Hugo would want to be on his way but a new contract keeps him around for at least this season, he's easily one of, if not our most,valuable player.

You're consistent at least Greaves :bae:
That defeat to Wigan, which could easily still have happened if Lloris was in goal, was no more the reason that we didn't make the champs league, than any other defeat, surely? It's a strange argument to be so attached to.
There's nothing strange about it all. Hugo is better than Brad, and should have been playing far sooner than he did. Incompetence by AVB, that was an early signal of what was to come (along with the Daws fiasco) - Two massive mistakes that almost certainly cost us CL.

Back
Top Bottom