How do you think we will line up?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think its a bit presumptuous to say we have 'strengthened' then defence.
Until we see Fazio play 10 games where we can comfortably say he is better than Kaboul and Dawson thats just us living in hope.
Same goes for Davies.

... and even Dier I guess.
I see where you are coming from, but having said that, I think we have strengthened the defence.

Here is what I want to see

Lloris

Walker Fazio Vertonghen Rose

Capoue Stambouli

Dembele Lamela Eriksen

Ade

Reasoning:

I fancy Fazio to be a rock, clearly has quality as he won the EL. Kaboul seems to be struggling I wouldn't have him 1st choice any time soon.

Stambouli the enforcer, Capoue slightly freed up to pass more.

Eriksen on the wing drifting in- I know many don't like him there, but I do. He has good deliveries from wide positions too.The 3 will interchange anyway. Poch just needs to sort him out defensively.

I like Lamela as a #10/ in the free roam role much more tbh, stays involved in the game. The more often he can get touches the better. He played his best games in pre-season there and I hope to see it used in the league. I feel he's wasted wide because his dribbling style is best used to commit players in and around the box, he's not a speed merchant who will excel on the wings. He's also one of the few players who can play a 1-2 in a crowded area against bus parkers etc.

Dembele is the other controversial choice, I want him there because firstly we have a presence, the ball will not come straight back, he has some of the best hold up play in the league. If he shields the ball or puts his foot on it no one is barging him off. This selection though is heavily dependent on what Poch can get out of him. He's 27 now so I could be wrong in thinking he could become a revelation as an AM this late, clearly has exceptional abilities though so it is possible. Also one of the best defensive players in our team period. If he's fit he should always play, very rarely loses out against players when it comes to battles both attacking and defending.

Ade is the best we got up top.

Lloris

Capoue Stambouli

Dembele Lamela Eriksen

Ade

Reasoning:

I fancy Fazio to be a rock, clearly has quality as he won the EL. Kaboul seems to be struggling I wouldn't have him 1st choice any time soon.

Eriksen on the wing drifting in- I know many don't like him there, but I do. He has good deliveries from wide positions too.The 3 will interchange anyway. Poch just needs to sort him out defensively.

I like Lamela as a #10/ in the free roam role much more tbh, stays involved in the game. The more often he can get touches the better. He played his best games in pre-season there and I hope to see it used in the league. I feel he's wasted wide because his dribbling style is best used to commit players in and around the box, he's not a speed merchant who will excel on the wings. He's also one of the few players who can play a 1-2 in a crowded area against bus parkers etc.

Dembele is the other controversial choice, I want him there because firstly we have a presence, the ball will not come straight back, he has some of the best hold up play in the league. If he shields the ball or puts his foot on it no one is barging him off. This selection though is heavily dependent on what Poch can get out of him. He's 27 now so I could be wrong in thinking he could become a revelation as an AM this late, clearly has exceptional abilities though so it is possible. Also one of the best defensive players in our team period. If he's fit he should always play, very rarely loses out against players when it comes to battles both attacking and defending.

I would like to see Dembele play that right wing role as well. He played that role a few times way back n was productive. Would need to be paired with a guy like Walker to provide the width on the wing.

Also prefer Eriksen at LW n Lamela in the hole based on your reasoning.

I think its a bit presumptuous to say we have 'strengthened' then defence.
Until we see Fazio play 10 games where we can comfortably say he is better than Kaboul and Dawson thats just us living in hope.
Same goes for Davies.

Was Davies not better than Rose last year in the same league though? Because I'd say he was.

Current form aside and taking into account past performances either for former clubs or us id go with :

Lloris

Walker - Fazio - Vertonghen - Davies

Capooooooooooooue - Dembele

Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli

Soldado

All of that lot can play with the ball at their feet, and thats what the manager is trying to achieve. Dier for Walker if hes totally broken.

Dier had a torrid time on sunday. with walker out i still think he needs phased in, hes not a right back to start with, and unfortunately think that means naughton should start most games at rb.

----------------------------------Lloris

-------------------Fazio----------------------Verts
Kyle------------------------------------------------------------Davies

----------------------Stambouli
--------------------------------------------Bentale
-----------------------------------------------------------------Chadli
--------Lamela------------------Eriksen

------------------------------------------Adebayor

Lloris

Capoue Stambouli

Dembele Lamela Eriksen

Ade

Reasoning:

IMO the reason Eriksen was so average against Liverpool was because he was not in the middle.
He must be in the middle, this does not mean Lamela can't come in, just that Eriksen pulls the strings better than anyone in our squad.

IMO the reason Eriksen was so average against Liverpool was because he was not in the middle.
He must be in the middle, this does not mean Lamela can't come in, just that Eriksen pulls the strings better than anyone in our squad.
Agreed. Lamela can cut in when our RB overlaps, but it's more important that Eriksen plays in the middle. Pull out right occasionally for the sake of fluidity and it's alright, but if he's spending most of his time on the wing then he's wasted beyond his dead ball abilities.

Agree with you last two chaps. Eriksen is a central midfielder. Play him there. Please dont let us do our usual spursy thing of playing a gifted player in the wrong position.

Agree with you last two chaps. Eriksen is a central midfielder. Play him there. Please dont let us do our usual spursy thing of playing a gifted player in the wrong position.

moving a player from their supposed best position can work wonders though..........:baletroll:

He might start in the middle, but the 3 of them were switching places v QPR. They have to get an understanding about how they will handle that. Give it a month.

Lloris

Dier Kaboul Vertonghen Rose

Capoue Stambouli

Lamela Eriksen Chadli

Adebayor​

I don't expect Pochettino to veer that far from this, Kaboul will eventually lose his place imo, Chadli too perhaps. Dembele has no place in a Pochettino team, he doesn't move the ball quickly enough for me. I don't rate Paulinho at all now. Bentaleb and Stambouli battling for a place alongside Capoue at this point.

I haven't seen loads of Stambouli but from the little I have seen I think he'd be more box to box than Bentaleb (if I'm wrong about this then I stand corrected. x ).

Dier had a torrid time on sunday. with walker out i still think he needs phased in, hes not a right back to start with, and unfortunately think that means naughton should start most games at rb.

Naughton is a terrible player. Id rather a back three than play him.

Dier could be injured which would explain why he was off the pace.

Last edited:
He might start in the middle, but the 3 of them were switching places v QPR. They have to get an understanding about how they will handle that. Give it a month.
Yes this is true, but, in the QPR game how often was Eriksen actually on the right.
Its apparent he doesn't work there, and I don't thing he has the defensive capabilities to work on the wing properly.
He just doesn't have the pace to beat a man on his natural side, and is only good with his crossing from that position, in which he drifts there from the centre while we are working around their box.
He does not defend at all, so how is that ever going to work with Sterling and Sturridge parading down the wing all game, not to mention Moreno (lightning) flying down that side with a slow Dier.
Lamela can track back, as can Chadli.
The former demonstrated in your aforementioned QPR game.

the whole idea of the 3 number 10s is none of them have a set position left, right or central

once Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli or whoever else starts there and learn how to interchange with each other and immediately put pressure on the other team if we lose the ball we'll be flying, we can't be putting one man ahead of the system that Tino is trying to implement

i wouldn't dwell on the scousers match to much as them wankers have had their thoroughly impressive system in place for alot longer than us at present

even after that drubbing we are still off to a flier and ahead of them cunts down the road

Back
Top Bottom