How do you think we will line up?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think MP will go for Capoue over Bentaleb to be honest, especially in away games. Left side is also contentious. Its close between Davies and Rose and anyone of Lennon, Townsend or Chadli can play there. But yes, we have many options and you missed out Dier too.

First team when fit:

.............................................Lloris

Walker..................Fazio....................Jan....................Rose

............................Stambouli...........Bentaleb

...........Lamela...................Eriksen......................Chadli

..............................................Ade

Capoue, Dembele, Soldado, Kane, Davies, Vorm, Vlad, Kaboul, Yedlin, Lennon, Paulinho, Townsend

Seems that we've added some aggression and muscle in Fazio and Stambouli, and if they turn out to be pretty solid, that team/squad dont look too bad to me.

So many combinations and options for Poch to work with.

Really looking forward to see if he can turn some of this lot into gold in the coming months, and what direction he has for us.

Was thinking about this in the shower this morning (no homo) I reckon Stambouli is a partner for Capoue not a replacement. He has decent vision for the forward pass and is more than likely a second/third/fourth choice after MS was deemed unavailable.

(4-2-3-1)
Lloris
Walker Fazio Vertonghen Davies
Stambouli Capoue
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
Ade​

Do think we need to pick our strongest XI and stick to it (taking in injuries in to account), don't think we've necessarily had a distinctive line-up since Redknapp left. Rotations all well and good with Europa and Cups in mind but we should all generally know what to expect come saturday/sunday afternoon.

Also think Davies will prove to be a more solid LB than Rose due to his positioning/age, Rose's attacking abilities are a bonus, but only when we're showing some defensive stability first.

One player who I didn't include in my projected lineup but I'd like to mention is Aaron Lennon. I actually think he is really useful in games against bigger sides. He's a player that always works hard and is definitely by far the best defensive player of any of the three behind the striker.

You don't want to be playing Lennon at home against QPR or any game where you're on the ball a lot because we all know he's wasteful in possession and has questionable end product. But in a game against a top side that is tight and on both sides of the pitch I think he's a great player. He runs endlessly and plays both ways. Plus, if he finds himself in a situation where he can put his pace to use, he can make the difference in the game in an instant. Looking back on the Liverpool game, I think we would have probably benefitted having him out there over Chadli. I also think he's a bit of a gamer, always seems to show up in big moments. For example: Woolwich League Cup semi, Woolwich 2013, Woolwich 4-4, all the times he roasted Evra, assist at Old Trafford last season and at home against United the season before, San Siro against AC Milan, Liverpool 2010, Liverpool 2012, Chelsea 2008. For a guy who scores and assists much less than we'd like, he does seem to make it count when he does.

For me, not a player for every game anymore. But oddly, I feel more comfortable with Lennon out there against a top 6 team than just about any other player we have.

Why are so many people putting Stambouli straight into the first XI?

None of you fuckers even knew who he was until last week!!!

I think its because it is apparent that he is not exactly just back up, but a direct replacement for Sandro.

It remains to be seen if Poch is really going to nail down a CM pairing of Bentaleb and Capoue...personally Im not sure thats the way to go, and seeing as he hasnt started Dembele in any of the PL games, Im doubting he is going to be first choice at this stage either.

Its not about putting him there because I think he's a good player (never seen him as you say)....but more what I suspect the club are thinking...

Obviously could be totally wrong, but its not a competition, more a discussion ...

Last edited:
the whole idea of the 3 number 10s is none of them have a set position left, right or central

once Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli or whoever else starts there and learn how to interchange with each other and immediately put pressure on the other team if we lose the ball we'll be flying, we can't be putting one man ahead of the system that Tino is trying to implement

i wouldn't dwell on the scousers match to much as them wankers have had their thoroughly impressive system in place for alot longer than us at present

even after that drubbing we are still off to a flier and ahead of them cunts down the road

We do not need Naughton or Lennon, they are just passengers not team players.

Funny cos Lennon is one of our hardest working players...very much a team player.

Might not be first choice, but a great player to have for rotation and injuries.

Naughton probably wont see out the January window, but still no need for the vitriol. He's not good enough to oust Dier from covering at RB now, and thats that.

He can play well in a team with lower aspirations, but thats no reason for him to be a figure of hate.

Here is what I think our best possible starting lineup is. I think Davies will eventually take the leftback spot because of his defensive superiority and Fazio with his experience will beat out Kaboul (who is having an awful start to the season) and Dier. In regards to Kane/Soldado, that seemed like a toss up because of their respective runs of form.
txdIcsal.png

Last edited:
Here is what I want to see

Lloris

Walker Fazio Vertonghen Rose

Capoue Stambouli

Dembele Lamela Eriksen

Ade

Reasoning:

I fancy Fazio to be a rock, clearly has quality as he won the EL. Kaboul seems to be struggling I wouldn't have him 1st choice any time soon.

Stambouli the enforcer, Capoue slightly freed up to pass more.

Eriksen on the wing drifting in- I know many don't like him there, but I do. He has good deliveries from wide positions too.The 3 will interchange anyway. Poch just needs to sort him out defensively.

I like Lamela as a #10/ in the free roam role much more tbh, stays involved in the game. The more often he can get touches the better. He played his best games in pre-season there and I hope to see it used in the league. I feel he's wasted wide because his dribbling style is best used to commit players in and around the box, he's not a speed merchant who will excel on the wings. He's also one of the few players who can play a 1-2 in a crowded area against bus parkers etc.

Dembele is the other controversial choice, I want him there because firstly we have a presence, the ball will not come straight back, he has some of the best hold up play in the league. If he shields the ball or puts his foot on it no one is barging him off. This selection though is heavily dependent on what Poch can get out of him. He's 27 now so I could be wrong in thinking he could become a revelation as an AM this late, clearly has exceptional abilities though so it is possible. Also one of the best defensive players in our team period. If he's fit he should always play, very rarely loses out against players when it comes to battles both attacking and defending.

Ade is the best we got up top.

Lloris

Capoue Stambouli

Dembele Lamela Eriksen

Ade

Reasoning:

I fancy Fazio to be a rock, clearly has quality as he won the EL. Kaboul seems to be struggling I wouldn't have him 1st choice any time soon.

Eriksen on the wing drifting in- I know many don't like him there, but I do. He has good deliveries from wide positions too.The 3 will interchange anyway. Poch just needs to sort him out defensively.

I like Lamela as a #10/ in the free roam role much more tbh, stays involved in the game. The more often he can get touches the better. He played his best games in pre-season there and I hope to see it used in the league. I feel he's wasted wide because his dribbling style is best used to commit players in and around the box, he's not a speed merchant who will excel on the wings. He's also one of the few players who can play a 1-2 in a crowded area against bus parkers etc.

Dembele is the other controversial choice, I want him there because firstly we have a presence, the ball will not come straight back, he has some of the best hold up play in the league. If he shields the ball or puts his foot on it no one is barging him off. This selection though is heavily dependent on what Poch can get out of him. He's 27 now so I could be wrong in thinking he could become a revelation as an AM this late, clearly has exceptional abilities though so it is possible. Also one of the best defensive players in our team period. If he's fit he should always play, very rarely loses out against players when it comes to battles both attacking and defending.

I would like to see Dembele play that right wing role as well. He played that role a few times way back n was productive. Would need to be paired with a guy like Walker to provide the width on the wing.

Also prefer Eriksen at LW n Lamela in the hole based on your reasoning.

Lloris

Capoue Stambouli

Dembele Lamela Eriksen

Ade

Reasoning:

IMO the reason Eriksen was so average against Liverpool was because he was not in the middle.
He must be in the middle, this does not mean Lamela can't come in, just that Eriksen pulls the strings better than anyone in our squad.

Back
Top Bottom