How do you think we will line up?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

IMO the reason Eriksen was so average against Liverpool was because he was not in the middle.
He must be in the middle, this does not mean Lamela can't come in, just that Eriksen pulls the strings better than anyone in our squad.
Agreed. Lamela can cut in when our RB overlaps, but it's more important that Eriksen plays in the middle. Pull out right occasionally for the sake of fluidity and it's alright, but if he's spending most of his time on the wing then he's wasted beyond his dead ball abilities.

I think MP will go for Capoue over Bentaleb to be honest, especially in away games. Left side is also contentious. Its close between Davies and Rose and anyone of Lennon, Townsend or Chadli can play there. But yes, we have many options and you missed out Dier too.

Wow, missed out Dier..One for me whos looking really good even though he's being played out of position.

Agree with Capoue over Bentaleb, and to be honest, I dont mind. Really want to see a nasty streak...we are getting a soft belly again.

Cup games:

.............................................Vorm (does he exist)

Naughton/Dier.................Vlad............Kaboul....................Davies/Rose

Lennon.......................Dembele.............Paulinho.............Chadli/Townsend

...............................................Kane

............................................................Soldado

Lloris
Walker Fazio Vertonghen Davies/Rose
Capoue Bentaleb
Lamela Eriksen Chadli
Adebayor

Worryingly you're not alone, I'm in the same boat.

Haha, fuck you all.....amazing how mellow I can be when the group of 4-5 posters who were constantly stalking me all fell by the wayside and closed their accounts eh....?

Even Fidel and John Thomas cant rattle me (I called them cunts and spastics last night but dont tell anyone)

Haha, fuck you all.....amazing how mellow I can be when the group of 4-5 posters who were constantly stalking me all fell by the wayside and closed their accounts eh....?

Even Fidel and John Thomas cant rattle me (I called them cunts and spastics last night but dont tell anyone)
I am not here to rattle you or would never be so pompous to think l could, Sammy , we just have vastly different opinions concerning the club.
A little less lavatorial language would be most appreciated .

Cup games:

.............................................Vorm (does he exist)

Naughton/Dier.................Vlad............Kaboul....................Davies/Rose

Lennon.......................Dembele.............Paulinho.............Chadli/Townsend

...............................................Kane

............................................................Soldado
Only 'funny'd' due to Vorm comment :harrylol:

sammyspurs sammyspurs

Whats happened to you? I am agreeing with everything you're saying a the moment...

Whats happened to me? Fuck sake.
Me and sammyspurs sammyspurs has a few run-ins a year or so ago, but have seen eye-to-eye on most topics since then.

I kind of took it as 'I'd become a cunt' rather than Sammy had changed but maybe I done him (and me!!) a disservice!

Anyway, peaceful round these parts lately - 'tis nice.

I would like -
[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Fazio, Chiriches, Rose, Capoue, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane][/formation]
Biggest omission - Vertonghen. I really wouldn't have been bothered if we sold him this summer, and I think we have players that show far more passion and desire to play for us. Fazio is obviously an unknown in the Prem, but I really like Vlad. He is solid, loves a tackle, and can play with the ball at his feet. I'm surprised he has become a bit of an outcast to be honest. Much better than Kaboul based on his latest showing.

I'm not too fussed who starts up top out of 'the 3'. I think they all have the ability to get goals and create chances also. On his day, Ade is the best, but we cannot afford for our lone striker to disappear in games. Kane is growing and showing potential (I never thought he'd make it personally) and I think Poch could work his magic with Bobby.

We have a strong team, quite a few new personal to bed in. Hopefully we have the right man to take us forward now, even if that is just in a 'style of football' sense, rather than 'positions up the table'.

We have strengthened the defence, which is good, but we bought no attacking players, so we pretty much know what to expect in abilty when going forward. We have many average players (Lennon, Townsend, Paulinho f.ex) and some good players (Lamela, Eriksen, Adebayor f.ex), but at the moment no great players in attacking positions. Lloris and Vertonghen are arguably our only great ones overall, but they will not contribute to goal scoring (Vertonghen might add a few goals and dangerous runs though).

So, I think we depend on the system that Pochettino wants to install. If our players are able to commit 100 % to the cause then our chances of top four are decent. Maybe not this season, but at least over time. I highly doubt that players like Townsend and Lennon will change their style of play in a considerable way, but let's see in a few months time. Many places in the starting eleven are up for grabs, but perhaps a team like this will be Pochettino's preferred in a few weeks:

Lloris
Walker - Fazio - Vertonghen - Davies
Stambouli - Capoue
Lamela - Eriksen - Chadli
Adebayor​

[formation=352, Loris, Dier, Fazio, Vertonghen, Walker, Eriksen, Capoue, Lamela, Davies, Adebayor, Soldado][/formation]
I have yet to see a team successfully play a 3 defender formation in the prem. Mancini tried it with city, Rodgers tried with pool, redknapp with qpr, van Gaal with united and so far they have all failed. Poch doesn't favor it, it's just not gonna happen.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Fazio, Vert, Rose, Stambouli, Paulinho, Lamela, Eriksen, Kane, Adebayor][/formation] Doubt it would materialise but I would be interested in seeing this. Everyone is talking about the Jay Rodriguez role of how Schneiderlin pumped the ball up to a Jay Rodriguez diagonal run between defenders who would then pass to Lambert. Well I could easily see Rodriguez and Lambert as Kane and Adebayor respectively.

Tend to think the lineup will continue to change based on opponent and form. I could see situations where against stronger sides, the midfield "2" would be Capoue and Stambouli, and against mid/weaker sides, it would be Capoue/Stambouli and Bentaleb/Dembele.

Similarly, I wonder if against stronger sides we'd be better with Paulinho in the middle and Eriksen out wide and against weaker sides Chadli wide, Eriksen middle and Soldado up front (Adebayor and/or Kane against the more physically inclined West Ham types).

Probably could have just as easily said I have no frickin clue but I'm excited to see how it plays out.

I think its a bit presumptuous to say we have 'strengthened' then defence.
Until we see Fazio play 10 games where we can comfortably say he is better than Kaboul and Dawson thats just us living in hope.
Same goes for Davies.

Was Davies not better than Rose last year in the same league though? Because I'd say he was.

Dier had a torrid time on sunday. with walker out i still think he needs phased in, hes not a right back to start with, and unfortunately think that means naughton should start most games at rb.

Yeah I'd like to see Dier in there but then I haven't really seen Fazio so will reserve judgement. If there's any truth in Walker's injury likely to be recurring then that's another issue and I'd have Dier in his place.

For me Rose bought himself some time in the QPR game but not much tbh. I imagine Davies will take the slot at some point and retain it.

Can only assume Stam is decent and I think it will be him and Capoue with Bentaleb in rotation.

Lamela Eriksen and Chadli

Adebayor

So we really need that three behind the striker to come good

I was watching Lennon quite closely when we played Limassol at home. He was playing off the left in the "Rodriguez" role that he played for Southampton. He was making a lot of runs across the full back looking for the ball over the top or the through pass, but we were content to just keep possession as the tie was practically over. Could see him getting visibly frustrated when he didn't receive the ball.

I wouldn't rule out Lennon being involved over Chadli at some point and seeing this type of play occurring more often, even though Chadli was very good in his rotation play with Eriksen and Lamela against QPR.

Hugo
Walker Dier Fazio Vertonghen
Lamela Stambouli Eriksen Chadli
Adebayor Soldado

If sherwood got 1 thing right last year it was playing a 442. we looked so much better when we started playing it

First team when fit:

.............................................Lloris

Walker..................Fazio....................Jan....................Rose

............................Stambouli...........Bentaleb

...........Lamela...................Eriksen......................Chadli

..............................................Ade

Capoue, Dembele, Soldado, Kane, Davies, Vorm, Vlad, Kaboul, Yedlin, Lennon, Paulinho, Townsend

Seems that we've added some aggression and muscle in Fazio and Stambouli, and if they turn out to be pretty solid, that team/squad dont look too bad to me.

So many combinations and options for Poch to work with.

Really looking forward to see if he can turn some of this lot into gold in the coming months, and what direction he has for us.
Naughton gone then!

Back
Top Bottom