Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son has 2 elite qualities…..

1) Off ball running

2) Finishing (with either foot).

He’s not an elite wide forward anymore. He doesn’t have the first step to beat his man and we’ve seen that for nearly 2 years now.

His best position is CF. I still think there are games where his lack of hold up play will be a detriment to us, but no team wants a guy that quick and clinical making the sort of runs in behind that Sonny makes.

1) Off ball running

He’s not an elite wide forward anymore. He doesn’t have the first step to beat his man and we’ve seen that for nearly 2 years now.

His best position is CF. I still think there are games where his lack of hold up play will be a detriment to us, but no team wants a guy that quick and clinical making the sort of runs in behind that Sonny makes.
Think he's a very good CF in the Ange system.

Excited to see if he combines well with Johnson at RW.

The captain has responded. The team responded. Splendid display. Knew he fits in cf the best. Glad he is getting the praise he deserves.

Last edited:

1) Off ball running

Probably what Ange wants from Brennan Johnson.

He'll probably look to put Son back on the left, and Rich (or someone else) in the middle with Brennan on the right doing that kind of running in behind to score thing. You can see he's tried to get Richarlison to hold up play with back to goal, but he was just too shit to do it well.

But you're right, Son's best served as the player with the final pass/shot rather than being out wide trying to dribble 1v1 and stuff.

First goal at the new stadium, big champions league goals especially his 3 against City, playing on with a fractured arm, winning the Puskas award with one of the greatest ever goals scored, kicked Rudiger in the ribs, kills transfer speculation early, playing with a smile on his face and seems to be so grateful and loves playing for Spurs.

Club legend.

The first goal suggested to me that Sonny is in a good head space.

Down a goal, he still had the courage to chip the ball over the keeper.

Like his last hat trick, he just grew even more confident. Wonderful stuff.

1) Off ball running

Against deep block sides like Wham, I'd maybe start Richy and move Son wide. Also helps with defending set pieces in the air.

Against City will be interesting to see what Ange does.

Sonny is starting to benefit from not being constantly in Harry's shadow. We all love him and I think the captaincy will enable him to kick on to become a Spurs legend.

Sonny is starting to benefit from not being constantly in Harry's shadow. We all love him and I think the captaincy will enable him to kick on to become a Spurs legend.

I don’t mean this in a bad way, but his ego had to be hurt a little bit by being constantly in Kane’s shadow. Sure he’s a top lad and a great pro but personally, because he is such a star in South Korea, to come back here and it not be the same must be peculiar. It’s nobody’s fault but now may be his time to really be the big man at the club. Although I think Maddison will have a lot to say about that.

I don’t mean this in a bad way, but his ego had to be hurt a little bit by being constantly in Kane’s shadow. Sure he’s a top lad and a great pro but personally, because he is such a star in South Korea, to come back here and it not be the same must be peculiar. It’s nobody’s fault but now may be his time to really be the big man at the club. Although I think Maddison will have a lot to say about that.

Agree on both counts.

Personally, i think they will both thrive under Ange. In a few short weeks Madders has endeared himself to the fan base in such a big way.

I'll be honest and say I haven't felt this way about the group of players we have for a long time. It's a crime the way some of their talents were put on the shelf by Conte.

First goal at the new stadium, big champions league goals especially his 3 against City, playing on with a fractured arm, winning the Puskas award with one of the greatest ever goals scored, kicked Rudiger in the ribs, kills transfer speculation early, playing with a smile on his face and seems to be so grateful and loves playing for Spurs.

Club legend.
Signed a new deal with no fuss when the Kane saga started up two seasons ago and we appointed Nuno.
Shut the Saudis down this summer.

The one player that deserves a trophy with us.

Yes. He regularly makes good cut backs and simple choices for assists where other players struggle.

Maybe Kulu actually because his decision making is actually excellent, it’s just his body doesn’t always co-operate.

But Son has got lots of assists over the years from making good choices on the break.
I'm curious. How could you possibly know this?

1) Off ball running

Agreed. He’s in his Jamie Vardy/ C.Ronaldo post-2016 arc and that is totally fine.

He’s still mighty dangerous in the right areas.

Back
Top Bottom