Football or THFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do you love more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tottenham.

How is this even a debate?

If Spurs folded tomorrow, what possible joy would I get from football? The feeling when that 3rd goal flew in yesterday, for example, would never be replaced.

If I'm being honest, when Spurs aren't involved the only joy I get from football is at the bookies.

I consider myself a Spurs supporter as opposed to a football fan. I would only watch MOTD if we've won, Woolwich have lost or there's been a significant upset. I might watch England in a major tournament, or a friendly if a load of Spurs players were in the team. From my first game at the Lane, I was totally hooked on Spurs. I will confess that I hardly knew anything about the rules of the game then, but when the ball hit the back of the net, I went loopy. That feeling never goes away. I know enough about the game now that I can enjoy the finer points, but its still the basics that gets the blood flowing - a fantastic save, a winger taking on half a dozen players, a wicked bend on the ball leaving a goalkeeper stranded, a bicycle kick, and best of all a winning goal in the last minute when we have been behind for the bulk of the game. Spurs are my passion, and my love runs deep and unconditionally, even when its nothing but grief, anger and embarrassment. Whether I would feel differently if I played the game - I have no idea. If Spurs were not around, I can't imagine getting involved with another club. Being a Spurs supporter is a large part of my personal identity - one of the first things people find out about me.

Firstly, I don't see the point of asking the original question if the first response to someone choosing Spurs is that they are wrong as Spurs wouldn't exist without football. They are two different things anyway, football is a sport and Spurs is an entity representing that sport so they are not really two comparable things.

For me anyway it has to be Spurs, like someone said before, I love football, but I LOVE Spurs. If you love football more than you love Spurs you would have spent the last week getting excited about seeing the Pool v City game yesterday, a game involving the two most exciting teams in the premier league who both have the potential to play blistering attacking football and may decide the league. To anyone who loves Spurs more, last week would have been filled with anxiousness over how we might end up embarrassing ourselves against West Brom and then watched some dodgy stream online fully expecting to see 90 minutes of terrible football.

I think it comes down to the fact that with Spurs, I have an emotional attachment which you simply cannot have with the sport in general. Logic would dictate that, if you love football more than you love Spurs (or any team for that matter), then you cannot be a supporter of said team as your love for the game (and thus all others teams, leagues, methods of playing etc) is stronger than you love for Spurs. I enjoy watching football, I love individual acts of brilliance but if I had the choice of watching Stoke v Spurs or a World XI v World XI involving the best 22 players in the world, it would be Spurs everytime. If you love football more then it would be the World XI match. the feeling I get when I watch that Bale goal against West Ham last season gives me goosebumps and gets my heart racing. If that had been scored by Pienaar for Everton, I would have just though "Wow, that's a quality goal" and nothing else.

I'm not saying you can't love football the sport more than Spurs, what I'm saying is, it is perfectly reasonable to love Spurs more than football in general, and, if you love the sport more, then you can't really be that much of a fan of the Spurs.

I've grown increasingly jaded with following modern football and could probably drop it all together. Spurs is the only thing I have any real motivation for, and it is, unfortunately, a bit like a deeply emotional but also abusive relationship - the highs are unbelievable but the lows, almost soul sapping.

but is this not an oxymoron?

If Tottenham is more than just a team is football not more than just a game?

:townhmm: :walker:

Sorry maybe I should clarify, but going without football I mean I don't feel the need to go out of my way to watch Spanish or Italian football, even the world cup. But Spurs on the other hand is a big part of my life, even the football aspect aside. It gives you something to belong to, a crest, a community, as a club you can identify with it and say that your Spurs. Maybe I can't explain it properly but to me, there's more than just the football being played.

If Spurs were to disband in the morning I don't think I'd even try to find a new team.

Didn't really like football, watching or playing, until I was about 12. It was my first proper game at white hart lane in te early 90s that made me love spurs and therefore love football. So it's spurs for me.

I don't play so much anymore but when I did I would probably lean more towards the sport over spurs. Because at least you have some sort of real effect on a game you're actually playing in. But the organisation of football - FIFA, te premier league, the FA and everything surrounding it. That can all fuck off.

If I simply loved football I wouldn't fuck about going to WHL to sit surrounded by tourists, drink in terrible pubs that serve overpriced lager, I wouldn't bother waking up at 6am to go to some northern shit hole, I wouldn't care about football ticket prices as I'd shuffle off to another club permently.
Whether it's because of the people I've met or the memories I've had I'll love Tottenham Hotspur until my death.

I went with Spurs.

I've got the Swansea v Chavs on now, not because I love football, but more because there's fuck all else on of a Sunday afternoon. I'll probably start dinner in a minute or take the dog out, such is my lack of 'arsed-ness' about any football match that doesn't involve Tottenham. If Spurs suddenly ceased to exist, I wouldn't just start supporting some other team, as I don't feel a connection with any other team - having grown up with my old man living and breathing Spurs, it was kind of the only football I watched from an early age.

Same with England, I can take it or leave it, as I don't really care for what players of other teams do - even when they're playing for their country. If Tottenham was comprised of the entire Mexico squad, I'd probably be more inclined to get behind Mexico, than England.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching/playing football but when it comes down to A or B, Spurs wins hand over fist.

simple..thfc is a way of life handed down to me & my brothers & sisters by a little jock celtic fan who moved to London & met my mum who'd moved to London from ireland ! ...together they produced yids !! ... other sport is a pastime

I have the perfect metaphor for this.

Ahem.

In Harry Potter, They have to go to Olivanders wand shop, for a wand right. They can do magic already, they're part of that scene, but they need a wand.
and like Olivander says.
"The wand chooses the wizard"
The magic is a gift for all the wizards, but the wand is their way in. All their magic loving goes through that wand. And you don't just pick a wand and get on with it. The perfect wand chooses you.

Now, some wizards pick and choose their wands, and these people will never be great wizards. Because they're not in it the same way, they just want to be a wizard, doing magic. However thats possible.

Tottenham is my wand and therell never be another wand for me. If that wand broke, things wouldn't really be the same for me after.

You're welcome guys.

I fucking hate football. I also love it sometimes. Do I love football more than THFC? You might as well ask me if I love it more than I love my wife.

*insert random request here*

"I cant sorry, Spurs are playing"

"you love football more than me!"

"darling, i love Woolwich more than you, now fuck off"

I don't think I would be into football as much as I am without Tottenham, and in fact, despite being a Spurs & Football fan for 21 or 22 years now, since I joined here in December (having not used a forum before) I've found that talking about Spurs more and more has made me more of a football fan too.

I would never be bothered watching a full match of anyone else, but I watched Liverpool v City today, not because I give a hoot about either team, moreso because I needed a fix and had a morbid fascination with watching two team who have terrorised us all season lock horns.

As a result..

Spurs: Can't Smile Without you, Can't be arsed with football without you

Just as an edit, I can't play much football any more due to injuries I got from army (nothing sinister, just too much running), but I'd resent someone saying that it makes me less of a fan of the game just because I don't have the ability to play anymore.

yea I got the chav match on to but I haven't watched it for 60 seconds straight lol and the first half is almost over, mostly listening to Pleat ramble on lol

I just feel like without the sport of football THFC wouldn't exist so how can you love THFC more than the thing that essentially gives it meaning and/or life. Without football there would be no THFC but without THFC football would still be the greatest sport on the planet. Maybe if more people cared about the sport the millionaire criminals in charge of fifa wouldn't beable to use it to line their pockets as much.

I understand where you're coming from. But I just think its human to be more passionate about a specific thing as opposed to the whole thing. I guess you could think of it like loving one woman over women in general or loving a car as opposed to what cars are in general. It's not quite the same I know but it kind of counters your argument.

Oh and interesting question.

a better analogy would be do you value your favourite room(THFC) in your house more than your actual house(football)

you're comparing football to abit of wood and concrete and THFC to your whole house which is of far greater value lol

analogies are mostly shit anyway and a cop out from discussing the actual subject at hand, they are too easy to manipulate to suit your agenda(not you specifically just in general)
Well I care more about Spurs then I do about football if that equates to which I prefer. Spurs have Levy, high ticket prices, football has all of that AND Charlie Adam, thus making football worse than Spurs, so I like Spurs more

oh I'll get over to London again in the future, are you gonna beat me up when I come over? :memeokay:

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you. You won't be hard to miss.

LeonardGoSports.jpg

Anyway, let's end this argument. Too many threads get derailed as it is, and I hate that. So I won't be party to it.

Back
Top Bottom