Financial Results - Year Ended 30 June 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What jumped out at me was the fact the women's team gets investment from the pot. This is BS to me. They should be self sustaining and only have access to funds raised by themselves.

Best day of the year for a Levy fanboi you mean. I bet the usual faces on here have their kleenex out.
Women's football isn't self sustaining, that's simply reality. It's good that it exists, football has more than enough money to help subsidize it.

I know nothing of the structure of women's football, mind you, but it really ought to be utilized as a testing ground for ideas to restructure football in general. Instead of leaving it to the clubs to invest in, the PL should take a share out of the TV contract and fund the WSL, with equal disbursements to each club.

That's wrong though, isn't it?
Why should mens teams have to fund women's teams?
In principle,I agree with you but:

a. Average wage for a woman player is 50k a year in WPL. Total cost of the woman's team is likely to be less than NDombele costs us. Impairment on player values was 11 million last season.
b. Undoubted commercial advantage to having a decent woman's team, particularly if the sport takes off but probably just having other cheaper players you can send to stuff. Pound for pound, Beth England is probably good commercial value.
c. Commercial is 227 million and rising, so subsidy is not necessarily from the men's TV income or match day receipts.

View: https://x.com/SwissRamble/status/1777231797224448323

View: https://x.com/SwissRamble/status/1777231802941280646

Gross revenue more than doubled (actually over 250%) over last 10 years to new club record.

Wages 2.5 times higher than in 2014 (9 years ago) to a new club record of £251m - that figure will include high earners Kane, Lloris and Dier but exclude last summer and winter signings wages of Vicario, Ven de Ven, Maddison, Johnson, Solomon, Dragusin, loan signing Werner and returning loanees Lo Celso and Udogie as well as a full season of Porro so its not clear what current years wages will be. But a general trend of wage growth to reflect an increase in squad quality funded by revenue growth is here to stay !

Debt is not really an issue - the stadium debt is funded by bonds with an interest rate of circa 3% average repayment date in 20 years, first tranche of circa £30m in 2028 which is manageable. Build up of transfer debt is simply reflecting a lot of transfers over last 3 years with most transfer fees being contractually repayable over 5 year length of player contracts. Incidentally Spurs continue to show significant bank balances at year end, this year £174m to demonstrate liquidity.

Losses are not a problem for PSR as they include large depreciation costs on stadium which are not included in PSR calculations.

These figures are a bit misleading as there is a 72m write down on the stadium every year for 10 yrs. Another 5 to go . That’s 288m over the last 4 years . Just about covers the 300m.
Wages are still under 50% of revenue.

These figures are a bit misleading as there is a 72m write down on the stadium every year for 10 yrs. Another 5 to go . That’s 288m over the last 4 years . Just about covers the 300m.

the club also sits on a lot of cash (I believe it is about the same as 21-22) which mostly offsets the transfer debt. Our cash pile vs transfer debt and stadium book value write downs present a misleading picture of the actual situation. We are doing fine.

We have essentially got a lot of assets (stadium plus cash) and a lot of liabilities (stadium debt and transfer debt) unlike some other clubs who mostly just have liabilities.

the club also sits on a lot of cash (I believe it is about the same as 21-22) which mostly offsets the transfer debt. Our cash pile vs transfer debt and stadium book value write downs present a misleading picture of the actual situation. We are doing fine.

We have essentially got a lot of assets (stadium plus cash) and a lot of liabilities (stadium debt and transfer debt) unlike some other clubs who mostly just have liabilities.

What do other clubs have in terms of cash reserves?

Yeah that really perplexes other fans and also some of our purple and yellow brigade.

That commercial income growth is pretty ridiculous too. I wonder how it compares to the other top 6 clubs without Man City.

Yeah that really perplexes other fans and also some of our purple and yellow brigade.

That commercial income growth is pretty ridiculous too. I wonder how it compares to the other top 6 clubs without Man City.
Apparently they have offered Tanguy to Galatasary for 4m. If he stays , out on loan for example, he will again show as minus 9m on the books. Why not give him a free with a bit of a pay off. I can see now why Woolwich paid off a lot of their deadwood. Gets them off the books and don’t contribute to the amortisation loss.

Quite. The same blind spot as always..........

Ok, so we could match RMs offer for Mbappe this summer; but we all know he'll see RM as another level regardless..... Ditto the other names we can all list with ease.

Literally everyone who is as richer than us has the modern trophy history to put us in the shade.
I can only see Mbappe causing problems at Madrid. Plays on the left , where does Vini go.
Now that would be a signing and a half for us. Vini on our left, sorry Timo.

I can only see Mbappe causing problems at Madrid. Plays on the left , where does Vini go.
Now that would be a signing and a half for us. Vini on our left, sorry Timo.

Mbappe can play central though unlike Vini. Ancelotti is probably the best man manager in the game. I would imagine they will set up as

Vini Mbappe Rodrigo

Real’s current issue is they have to play Belligham as a 10/9 due to having Joselu as the only CF so Bellingham can go back to being a box to box which helps their balance.

I think it is a condition of the stadium loan that we hold a certain amount in cash. I thought it was over £100m.

Its quite common for bonds and some bank debt to hold the next interest payments in an escrow account - but even if the condition is to hold one full years interest that way, it would only amount to circa £30m as average interest rate is only about 3%. No capital repayment due for a few years, so nothing need be held in escrow for that.

Bank balances are circa £170m so any monies not held in escrow are simply held that way to demonstrate Spurs always have liquidity available - there is a note in the accounts suggesting that bank balances are offset against debt held with same bank so there's no cost in holding the bank balances.

We are one club so should support all our teams or what's the point in having them?
Women's football is evolving rapidly to the benefit of many girls and women .
They now benefit from the 'dressing room' experience which teaches great life skills.
It's not one club. It's barely even one sport.

We have to support the youth as they could well be the next Harry Kane and improve the mens team or at least be sold for profit to benefit the team.

What do the womens teams offer the mens teams? Nothing. If anything, they're just a parasitic drain.
Why are there no women's teams that are standalone - IE not associated in any way with an already existing mens team?
On the flipside. how many mens teams have no womens teams associated with them?

I don't get it. I never have. It's not that I don't support women playing professional football. It's that they're all just copying the existing mens teams.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc63cde8e-85d9-4933-9960-4e95eac352d0_2158x1422.jpeg

From SwissRamble

Note Spurs are well inside the PL ffp rules with an adjusted 'profit' over the 3 years of £103m versus an allowable loss of £105m. That will reduce next year with the covid adjustment of £75m being lost from the 3rd year. But still well inside the limit

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F8f7f1639-19b5-4a55-a669-001cd48f9bf5_1560x1496.jpeg

When in europe we will also need to comply with UEFA's squad cost rules - essentially player wages + player amortisation + any player impediment being less than 90% this year, 80%, next year, 70% following year as a % of (revenue plus profit on player sales). Spurs currently get to 60% so again well inside the rules at present. Note that being out of europe for a year means a reduction in revenues which would considerably affect this calculation......... but profit on Kane sale in current financial year may help mask that issue

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc63cde8e-85d9-4933-9960-4e95eac352d0_2158x1422.jpeg

From SwissRamble

Note Spurs are well inside the PL ffp rules with an adjusted 'profit' over the 3 years of £103m versus an allowable loss of £105m. That will reduce next year with the covid adjustment of £75m being lost from the 3rd year. But still well inside the limit

Spending spree incoming

oh no, wait

:levywhoa:

Back
Top Bottom