Financial Results - Year Ended 30 June 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ange is not concerned with money as his job is a football manager.

Levy's role is to ensure enough money is available to put together a squad over a period of time (and Ange has said several times that might take 3 windows). So given just being in CL makes enough money to buy at least one player outright, its totally correct for Levy to prefer the manager to get into CL at any possibility to maximise money available to buy players.

So no surprise Ange is not to worry about financial pressures - that's not his role. But it is Levy's role
Yes I accept Ange has no financial role but we are a football club and the football success adds to our financial success. Last season we failed to qualify for Europe and that is a big financial loss this season and yet Levy gets a massive bonus. The year before we did qualify for CL thus earning extra income and Levy got no bonus. Now I know Levy has overall control including financial but he also has overall football control and-appointed Conte and the interim Managers that saw us slide down the table. 8th was our worst position for years.
I am surprised the anti Levy posters are not making more of it but I fail to see how it is justified.

ffp headroom is not a huge problem atm, but doubt it would accommodate £500m spent on players.

And there's not £500m cash tucked down the back of the sofa either,

We spent circa £150m on new players last summer and that's more likely this summer coming
We can do 500M one off.

The club can’t do it easily, and wouldn’t reco borrowing but this is where we must get outside investment

Although I don't see 150-200m as out of reach; what it the "perfect storm" you speak of?

...............The new FFP rules will kill the brief glimmer of hope of the playing field being leveled.

(I largely tuned out of this thread cos - the same as every year - the accounts thread quickly descends into a generic ENIC-moan fest from people that aren't prepared to grind the actual financial figures; and thus is better suited to the ENIC thread............... So forgive me if you already explained.......)
F off

Reality is chelsea in 2003 and city in 2009 have caused a domino affect to clubs. Wages, rising ticket prices etc etc. Wouldnt surprise me we sold richarlison to saudi club in summer for big dollar.
Good we are right to do so. We’ve been awful at selling, both as a fanbase and as a club

There’s only three players I wouldn’t sell this summer, Vic, VDV and Romero. Anyone else is gone if the money stacks up and we have replacements earmarked

Yes I accept Ange has no financial role but we are a football club and the football success adds to our financial success. Last season we failed to qualify for Europe and that is a big financial loss this season and yet Levy gets a massive bonus. The year before we did qualify for CL thus earning extra income and Levy got no bonus. Now I know Levy has overall control including financial but he also has overall football control and-appointed Conte and the interim Managers that saw us slide down the table. 8th was our worst position for years.
I am surprised the anti Levy posters are not making more of it but I fail to see how it is justified.
Maybe it's for performance over more than just last season? As you've already said, he got nothing the year before.

We will never know as they have not told us but my experience of bonuses are they relate to the year that they occur.

Perhaps it's got something to do with the disparity between the UK financial year end (31st March) and the EPL year end (30th Jun)?

When the 21/22 financial accounts were completed Levy wouldn't have know if we'd qualified for CL yet as the season doesn't end til May... In which case it makes sense that IF the bonus was in any way linked the CL qualification then it would have had to have been accounted for in 22/23.

Also any CL income wouldn't have hit the books until 22/23 season so that's another reason why you'd pay a bonus in the year 21/22.

.........?

Why should his salary be linked to on field success? That’s not one of the boards strategic ambitions / objectives, increasing revenue is and that’s how Levy is obv incentivised. Not saying we don’t want to win, but it’s clearly not the primary focus u like other clubs

I think we will fall in line with your last point - regulatory changes etc
So Levy employs two serial winning managers- they fail despite big signings. What more could he do apart from earn the club more dosh and employ winners?

We can do 500M one off.

The club can’t do it easily, and wouldn’t reco borrowing but this is where we must get outside investment

Its conceivable that Spurs could get 500m together including a 10%/15% investment by a 3rd party but another factor is how many players can be bought and integrated into the first team in one window, and I'd guess that maximum is say 6 or 7 players - its the integration which is the difficult bit to do as it involves knowing how each player in say midfield play together.

Martin Jol confronted with about 20 new players, half bought for first team half for u21's took until his 2nd season to get the team to really gel (the 2nd season we were in 4th place from Christmas to end of season losing out in lasagnegate to finish 5th) .

So even with the £500m, I think we'd probably spread more than 6 or 7 players over 2 seasons to better integrate the players.

Plus I doubt the practicability of scouting and persuading more players to join Spurs in one window when other clubs will also be chasing similar top players.

Last edited:

Levy persuaded 2 serial winners to join Spurs - but they didn't live up to their reputations, so not sure Levy totally culpable about that.

Arguably he had a greater success in getting Paraciti to join with Paraciti being successful in buying players with very few flops, and this has happened over the last say 3 years with it being necessary to wait for say 5 months or a year after each window to demonstrate how successful Paraciti has been.

However I don't think Levy is judged on performance on the field per se, more the overall progress over a series of years. So for example the new stadium now generates about 3 times the matchday revenues that WHL generated (circa £120m v £40m), plus using the stadium to generate non football revenues (NFL, rugby, music etc) is something not done to the extent Spurs are doing - and that's been building up and will continue to build up over a few years. Equally other commercial income increases such as sponsorship income has grown both due to the new stadium as well as team finishing regularly averaging 4th/5th (versus bottom half of the table prior to enic control).

So demonstrably Levy growing Spurs revenues has been a success - which will have a link into bonuses. And that can only be judged over multiple years (eg revenues 2014/14 £214m to over half a billion 10 years later) plus of course the stadium getting numerous awards for its sustainability, green credentials, energy efficiency etc

Why fans should be happy with Spurs growth in revenues is the creation of a club no longer dependent on owners bail outs - Chelsea losing Abramovich annual bail outs is now seen for the fragility it always was (although Chelsea fans didn't think so a year or three ago).

And the increasing revenue generation is resulting in new players joining Spurs - over the last 3 seasons since Paraciti joined we have Vicario, Porro, Udogie, Royal, Romero, Van de Ven, Dragusin, Bentancur, Sarr, Maddison, Bissouma, Kulusevski, Johnson, Richarlison, and youngsters Veliz, Phillips, Bergval and Vuskovic et al.

Whilst I fully accept some flans don't think we are recruiting as fast as they would like and indeed would like even better players joining, I'm not sure even cheating like Mancity with state aid has built a quality squad much faster.

So its easy to criticise Levy, but its difficult to identify too many other chairmen who have done better for their clubs.

Its conceivable that Spurs could get 500m together including a 10%/15% investment by a 3rd party but another factor is how many players can be bought and integrated into the first team in one window, and I'd guess that maximum is say 6 or 7 players - its the integration which is the difficult bit to do as it involves knowing how each player in say midfield play together.

Martin Jol confronted with about 20 new players, half bought for first team half for u21's took until his 2nd season to get the team to really gel (the 2nd season we were in 4th place from Christmas to end of season losing out in lasagnegate to finish 5th) .

So even with the £500m, I think we'd probably spread more than 6 or 7 players over 2 seasons to better integrate the players.

Plus I doubt the practicability of scouting and persuading more players to join Spurs in one window when other clubs will also be chasing similar top players.

Quite. The same blind spot as always..........

Ok, so we could match RMs offer for Mbappe this summer; but we all know he'll see RM as another level regardless..... Ditto the other names we can all list with ease.

Literally everyone who is as richer than us has the modern trophy history to put us in the shade.

So Levy employs two serial winning managers- they fail despite big signings. What more could he do apart from earn the club more dosh and employ winners?
Really.

Rather than employ winners, he could build an modernised, football management team that works together rather than thrust in an individual with their own team, and expect them to dovetail with the exec board (which we’ve subsequently done after the two big name failures). Also, did we sign big name players wanted by those two? We spent money but not to the level they are used to, and I both were frustrated with the hand delay by Lecy eg not getting their first choices.

So what more could he have done? Well quite a lot and thankfully, we are starting to do it now

Levy persuaded 2 serial winners to join Spurs - but they didn't live up to their reputations, so not sure Levy totally culpable about that.

Arguably he had a greater success in getting Paraciti to join with Paraciti being successful in buying players with very few flops, and this has happened over the last say 3 years with it being necessary to wait for say 5 months or a year after each window to demonstrate how successful Paraciti has been.

However I don't think Levy is judged on performance on the field per se, more the overall progress over a series of years. So for example the new stadium now generates about 3 times the matchday revenues that WHL generated (circa £120m v £40m), plus using the stadium to generate non football revenues (NFL, rugby, music etc) is something not done to the extent Spurs are doing - and that's been building up and will continue to build up over a few years. Equally other commercial income increases such as sponsorship income has grown both due to the new stadium as well as team finishing regularly averaging 4th/5th (versus bottom half of the table prior to enic control).

So demonstrably Levy growing Spurs revenues has been a success - which will have a link into bonuses. And that can only be judged over multiple years (eg revenues 2014/14 £214m to over half a billion 10 years later) plus of course the stadium getting numerous awards for its sustainability, green credentials, energy efficiency etc

Why fans should be happy with Spurs growth in revenues is the creation of a club no longer dependent on owners bail outs - Chelsea losing Abramovich annual bail outs is now seen for the fragility it always was (although Chelsea fans didn't think so a year or three ago).

And the increasing revenue generation is resulting in new players joining Spurs - over the last 3 seasons since Paraciti joined we have Vicario, Porro, Udogie, Royal, Romero, Van de Ven, Dragusin, Bentancur, Sarr, Maddison, Bissouma, Kulusevski, Johnson, Richarlison, and youngsters Veliz, Phillips, Bergval and Vuskovic et al.

Whilst I fully accept some flans don't think we are recruiting as fast as they would like and indeed would like even better players joining, I'm not sure even cheating like Mancity with state aid has built a quality squad much faster.

So it’s easy to criticise Levy, but it’s difficult to identify too many other chairmen who have done better for their clubs.
It’s not just failure to sign stellar players that’s the issue, it’s the lack of strategy and push to achieve on the pitch. Hopefully this culture now comes from Munn etc. there’s no ruthless desire, some of this weakness relates to signing players but I think it’s broader than that. 4th will always be a pat on the back amongst the exec board and seen as a good season…. Don’t get me wrong, it is an achievement based on our wages, spending etc vs Man U, Chelsea etc but there’s not a desire to keep going. We would like to I’m sure, but we don’t force it

Quite. The same blind spot as always..........

Ok, so we could match RMs offer for Mbappe this summer; but we all know he'll see RM as another level regardless..... Ditto the other names we can all list with ease.

Literally everyone who is as richer than us has the modern trophy history to put us in the shade.
Loser mentality

Not a single fan expects us to compete for Mbappe. Ridiculous example.

Here’s another - would we have signed Rice for 100M and folded and paid what West Ham wanted?

Loser mentality

Not a single fan expects us to compete for Mbappe. Ridiculous example.

Here’s another - would we have signed Rice for 100M and folded and paid what West Ham wanted?

Over your thick head... As always.

If the majority shares in the club are sold (Joe Lewis) I hope our new owner is more engaged and makes Levy’s bonus related to actual football success ( and I am not referring just just top 4), the club is built up enough at the infrastructure level, it’s time to move on.
Why so upset, we pay some players far more than Daniel and get a lot less back.
You can’t say he doesn’t put the hours in.

Why so upset, we pay some players far more than Daniel and get a lot less back.
You can’t say he doesn’t put the hours in.

As Ange said we are a football club not a bank. I’d be happy for Levy to get a £20m bonus if we win the title but if he wants bonuses it should be linked with genuine success, that would be my ideal if we get a new owner when Joe sells.

What jumped out at me was the fact the women's team gets investment from the pot. This is BS to me. They should be self sustaining and only have access to funds raised by themselves.

Best day of the year for a Levy fanboi you mean. I bet the usual faces on here have their kleenex out.
We'd be mad to run our women's team on that basis. We'd get slaughtered if seen to be less generous than other teams - look at the WRU.

Back
Top Bottom