European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
What's wrong with the CL is that over the years it has expanded so much that it now has a detrimental effect on our national league, the bedrock of the game.
What’s wrong with the CL being expanded so more teams from more countries have a chance.

Should Monaco have been not allowed entry in 2017 when they reached SF with mbappe?
Should Ajax have been not allowed entry when they reached SF in 2019?
Should Dynamo Zagreb not been allowed in europa because they were too small a club, when they proved this year to have more passion than us?

There’s nothing wrong with giving smaller teams a chance.

Yes they wouldn’t let us in unless we had mourinho and bale :mourfacepalm:
I don't agree with everything those guys wrote but the argument for the Mourinho bit is relatively straightforward: it would've given the club a bigger and more serious profile during potential negotiations.

This is the real risk. If the leagues kick the clubs out they will just form their own and invite select clubs along to join permanently on less money than them but still better money than now.

If FIFA ban founding clubs players from world cup then the big clubs have the best players so will simply say no problem and launch their own tournament.
Top 400 or so players in the world playing in this franchise league. Any world cup without them would be considered devalued.

Top 400 or so players in the world playing in this franchise league. Any world cup without them would be considered devalued.
Any career without domestic trophies, continental trophies, international appearances/trophies would also be devalued.

Would you rather play for Woolwich and get humped by Real Madrid and Man City every month, or Everton and win PL, compete in the CL, get FA Cups, play for Germany in the Euros and World Cups?

Any career without domestic trophies, continental trophies, international appearances/trophies would also be devalued.

Would you rather play for Woolwich and get humped by Real Madrid and Man City every month, or Everton and win PL, compete in the CL, get FA Cups, play for Germany in the Euros and World Cups?
Every player will want to be in the ESL make no mistake.

The prestige and money will see to that. It is the top table of football.

Winning a league with Everton is not an achievement when your rival is Burnley. A Champions League final of Zagreb vs Villareal will not have anyone's attention.

I think the international football aspect is a complete bluff. There is no World Cup without the best players in the world.

20 teams, so 10 matches per week, so where the fuck are we going to get a minimum 40 referees, lines persons and 4th officials from🤷‍♂️
Its not the multi billion TV deals that concern me, It’s the small details that concern me🤗

I've seen quite a lot of people, here and elsewhere, consoling themselves with either the idea that the ESL will never actually happen due to the backlash or that it'll fail for similar reasons. That's just not happening:

Those involved wouldn't have gone full steam ahead with this if they weren't entirely confident of success. If the risk of failure were perceived to be high, it wouldn't be worth tanking goodwill. To have reached the point of formally announcing it, they must be damn sure it's going to work.

The vast majority of fans lack the conviction and discipline to actually follow through on their boycott threats, and corporate knows this. It doesn't even matter what native fans do anyway: we're a tiny percentage of their target market. The business side will have been set up to counter-resist the resistance of European fans. For every British person who successfully boycotts the competition, there are a dozen Chinese gloryhunters who'll take their place and dutifully support whoever is winning at the time. That's the price you pay for a globalised game: fans who live next door to the stadia are less important than those in some lucrative emerging market thousands of miles away.

I wish none of this were true. Obviously, since I advocate grassroots football and a return to localism. But I see it as an unstoppable step along the path that football has been on for decades. It's the logical conclusion, really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom