European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
yay we get to be a part of the rich elite, we stick our collective boot on the rest of the pyramid and demand a rim job if they want our crumbs and leavings.
Everything we hate about Chelsea and City and we are no better, thought we were better than this.

american soldiers GIF

People thought Levy was different, more fool them. I have never been deluded in what he is.

That being said in Man City we have a team owned by a slave owner. So from that perspective this is not the most immoral thing to happen to the English game. That took place when City got bought out. If you allow slave owners you have no right to take the moral high ground, the Prem and UEFA have no moral high ground because they sold it off.

One particularly shitty angle that I haven't really seen anyone else mention is that while BT and Sky trot out pundits to spout populist platitudes about concern for the fans, their paymasters are currently locked in negotiations to buy this exact product.

I think the super league will flop. Stadiums will be empty and the global base is still not strong enough to substitute the local fan bases. in 2-3 years the competition will go under and we will be in the nationwide fucking conference
If the 6 clubs are kicked out, then they will probably not be allowed back in through the conference either. All this super league stuff is based on the hope that these teams get to stay in their own league at the same time.

This is almost exactly what I said about 50 pages ago. It has an air of inevitability about it.

People will go off on one about it on football forums but are very unlikely to back that up with action.
Even if English football lose a generation of UK fans they'll get those fans back 10 fold in other markets across the world and of course get the next generation of UK fans back onside, UK fans are irrelevant to these companies running the world's biggest football clubs.

People thought Levy was different, more fool them. I have never been deluded in what he is.

That being said in Man City we have a team owned by a slave owner. So from that perspective this is not the most immoral thing to happen to the English game. That took place when City got bought out.
I mean I agree and I wasn't born yesterday, the game is about money and has been for the longest time. You'd have to have your head buried up your arse to not realise that. And we all know Levy would prostitute his mum for a cheeky fiver. But this whole closed shop no relegations stuff is just taking it to the most disgusting level of Capitalism I find it vomit inducing and can't get my head around why a single person would subscribe to this new level of greed and gluttony.

Also anybody who thinks this is going to be good for our club can think again, look forward to your £150 match tickets. This is a license for the club to print money and I'm sorry to inform you but if you are a fan who isn't wealthy you aren't part of the equation.

Call me old fashioned but I still believe in fair play and the relegation and promotion based pyramid system was the only pure thing left in the game, it gave teams a shot, a dream to aspire too.

There is no way I will ever be able to look at Spurs in the same way again

The prestige of competing against the best.

However you slice it, if this goes ahead the best players in the world will be part of it.
Footballers are greedy yes but where the prestige? and whos to say these teams are the best? Christ Woolwich and spurs shouldnt be anywhere near it!
Madrid and barce are in bloody serious debt!
Half the teams are premier league 😆

The only players willing to join this will be the mercenaries that are basically finished internationally anyways, the pinnacle for any footballer is the world cup and champions league football, some Americanised super league will fall dead on its ass when these pampered footballs have to travel accross the world every 2 days to play like the nba currently does.

Anyone know when the draft is? With the first pick of the 2021 draft the Hotspurs of Tottenham select....
You joke, but that’s the next logical step.

They are going to have to find a way to make this league competitive - a draft would help that.

Full US Soccer ball lads. Enjoy.

I mean I agree and I wasn't born yesterday, the game is about money and has been for the longest time. You'd have to have your head buried up your arse to not realise that. And we all know Levy would prostitute his mum for a cheeky fiver. But this whole closed shop no relegations stuff is just taking it to the most disgusting level of Capitalism I find it vomit inducing and can't get my head around why a single person would subscribe to this new level of greed and gluttony.

Also anybody who thinks this is going to be good for our club can think again, look forward to your £150 match tickets. This is a license for the club to print money and I'm sorry to inform you but if you are a fan who isn't wealthy you aren't part of the equation.

Call me old fashioned but I still believe in fair play and the relegation and promotion based pyramid system was the only pure thing left in the game, it gave teams a shot, a dream to aspire too.

There is no way I will ever be able to look at Spurs in the same way again

True but this was the path that was set when the Prem got set up to make Sky Sports rich which is what Gary Neville just used to voice his disgust.

We should have adopted the German Model with fan ownership, Tv remaining free to air. We didn’t and we allowed ganagsters and slave owners to buy clubs, this is the end result.

I’m still hopeful this won’t go through and it’ll disband after fans go hard on their clubs’ boards. Is it an realistic option or is it done and dusted at this point?

One particularly shitty angle that I haven't really seen anyone else mention is that while BT and Sky trot out pundits to spout populist platitudes about concern for the fans, their paymasters are currently locked in negotiations to buy this exact product.
Not sure if true or not but read that Dazn have the rights

If the clubs involved actually are forced out of their domestic leagues, what does football even look like after that? It's going to be like two distinct sports with completely orthogonal ecosystems. How would transfers work, for example? It's hard to conceive of the potential outcomes here.

I’m still hopeful this won’t go through and it’ll disband after fans go hard on their clubs’ boards. Is it an realistic option or is it done and dusted at this point?
My hope too, but this feels too definite.

There’s too much money involved. Not only do I think it will go ahead, but I think it will happen much sooner than we think.

I've seen quite a lot of people, here and elsewhere, consoling themselves with either the idea that the ESL will never actually happen due to the backlash or that it'll fail for similar reasons. That's just not happening:

They wouldn't have gone full steam ahead with this if they weren't entirely confident of success. If the risk of failure were perceived to be high, it wouldn't be worth tanking goodwill. The vast majority of fans lack the conviction and discipline to actually follow through on their boycott threats, and corporate knows this. It doesn't even matter what native fans do anyway: we're a tiny percentage of their target market. The business side will have been set up to counter-resist the resistance of European fans. For every British person who successfully boycotts the competition, there are a dozen Chinese gloryhunters who'll take their place and dutifully support whoever is winning at the time. That's the price you pay for a globalised game: fans who live next door to the stadia are less important than those in some lucrative emerging market thousands of miles away.

I wish none of this were true. Obviously, since I advocate grassroots football and a return to localism. But I see it as an unstoppable step along the path that football has been on for decades. It's the logical conclusion, really.
Good post.....There is always a breaking point with everything.
I read a good article about Amazon, were it states they are only one bad decision away or a bump in the road from collapse even tho they are the biggest grossing business on the planet.
Amazon relay 100% on the consumer market which is why they will deliver you a box of screws, to your door, for $5...... a box of screws that cost $5 in your local hardware store, they obviously make a small loss but it means your not buying your screws in your local hardware store, therefore not competing with small business but by crushing them, they will make back that small loss with the Amazon addicts who get every delivered to their door, again why Amazon have bought up grocery chains.....
One day Amazon will collapse when people’s mind sets change, and football will hopefully do the same....I’m all for fucking off this super league bollocks and would gladly put my money into a League one football team....

A simple game...#Created by the poor, stolen by the rich!!

If the clubs involved actually are forced out of their domestic leagues, what does football even look like after that? It's going to be like two distinct sports with completely orthogonal ecosystems. How would transfers work, for example? It's hard to conceive of the potential outcomes here.

Almost like Rugby League and Rugby Union the rules could gradually diverge.

Good post.....There is always a breaking point with everything.
I read a good article about Amazon, were it states they are only one bad decision away or a bump in the road from collapse even tho they are the biggest grossing business on the planet.
Amazon relay 100% on the consumer market which is why they will deliver you a box of screws, to your door, for $5...... a box of screws that cost $5 in your local hardware store, they obviously make a small loss but it means your not buying your screws in your local hardware store, therefore not competing with small business but by crushing them, they will make back that small loss with the Amazon addicts who get every delivered to their door, again why Amazon have bought up grocery chains.....
One day Amazon will collapse when people’s mind sets change, and football will hopefully do the same....I’m all for fucking off this super league bollocks and would gladly put my money into a League one football team....

A simple game...#Created by the poor, stolen by the rich!!

Only the top couple of tiers.

I have three different non-league teams I watch from time time. From village level to around the 10th tier.

If people are really really set against the ESL there are plenty of other places for them to watch football.

But most of them will be all talk.

It's done and dusted, there will be a bit of outrage then the masses will lap it up like the sheeples they are, continue to buy the 7th kit, a new FIFA game every year with the only change being skins.
People will moan about paying the £250 to go and watch a game but it will be accepted.

The money men can stick it in everyone's arses and lets be honest nobody bats an eyelid

Back
Top Bottom