England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Definitely harsh. He's outstanding. Even when he has a mixed bag like he did tonight performance wise, you always know he's capable of producing. That's the sign of a great player, making an impact even when not as your best.
I'm not doubting his ability, he's a superb Footballer, I just don't think he had as good a game, by his own standards, as he could have.

I'll concede I'm probably being harsh, but I just felt he was trying too hard to produce something special.

He's young, flying high for his club and trying to make a difference.

He could just be ghosting about just behind the striker waiting for flicks and jazzy things; but he didn't... He was in the thick of it, worked hard, covered ground, happy to go to ground and tackle to prevent breaks.

If he's poncing around like a primadonna or playing like Dele's brother I'll be on him, but that's not what we saw tonight.
That's fair, I often forget how young he still is.

I'm not doubting his ability, he's a superb Footballer, I just don't think he had as good a game, by his own standards, as he could have.

I'll concede I'm probably being harsh, but I just felt he was trying too hard to produce something special.

Yeah, he had a mixed game and was pretty poor in the second half. He will have much better games, that's for sure.

I'd take Toney and Watkins personally. Watkins did so well on the equaliser and quite simply rashford wouldn't of done that he doesn't do any of the battling dirty work. So I'd take Watkins and Toney and leave rashford behind.

We've got a fantastic amount of quality attacking players. It's the defence and southgates choices he picks in defence that always let's us down imo.

I'd take Toney and Watkins personally. Watkins did so well on the equaliser and quite simply rashford wouldn't of done that he doesn't do any of the battling dirty work. So I'd take Watkins and Toney and leave rashford behind.

Watkins doesn't suit Gary-ball... Rashford does (and can also play CF in an emergency anyway).

I really enjoyed that. Watched with a United mate I haven't seen in a while. A couple of beers, some food, laughs and an entertaining game. We played some really good attacking football, Belgium defended really well. Can't ask more from a cold and snowy Tuesday night.

Really liked Bowen, Mainoo and Bellingham. Dunk and Chillwell confirmed what I thought about them, Would have liked to see Branthwaite given a chance, Palmer too maybe.

Maddison isn't up to full speed yet but it was a fine assist. I missed his yellow card but thought he was a bit lucky to not get another for the arm across the Belgian's face.

Kane and Saka to come back, Trippier and Shaw too. Younger/newer (England) players stepping up. I'm looking forward to the Euros. We probably won't win the tournament, I realised a long time ago that as a Spurs and England fan I wasn't allowed nice things, but I'll enjoy cheering us on nonetheless.

Unlucky Wales, would have been great to see three home nations at the finals.

YIDS

Getting the likes of Shaw and Trippier back will be huge. Chilwell looks terrible these days, injuries look to have done a number on him. Overall I don't think there's a lot to worry about with Kane and Saka to come back into the team along with the regular full-backs. Rice, Mainoo and Bellingham should be the midfield three now and in the future, and we have about 8 players to play in the two positions to either side of Kane to choose from, all top drawer and with different qualities.

But Branthwaite really should have been blooded over the two games. Along with Colwill, he's the most promising centre-back we have. Dunk is 32, average, and won't get any better at all. Playing him both games was a wasted opportunity and pointless.

Every pundit saying we deserved something out of the game. Honestly! Belgium were far better organised with less quality players. Southgate doesn’t know what he is doing. We stand no chance in the Euros

I do think if Southgate is going to persist with the no plan attack then Maddison might be a better option. When he came on he put 3-4 passes through the lines before his assist that put Bowen, Foden into dangerous areas.

The one area where Maddison stands out above everyone bar maybe Kane is passing and lock picking, if we aren’t going to have good patterns of play then we need a lock picker. Saka, Foden etc are brilliant but they don’t compare passing wise to Maddison.

Either Maddison or accept Kane is going to have to play really deep.

Not saying it’s the best team we have as for me Foden would be in an England Pep managed team but based on how Southgate likes to play perhaps the below would be best.

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Mainoo Rice Maddison
Bellingham (free role)
Saka Kane

Maddison and Kane to lock pick with the pace of Saka. Less requirement for good coaching and attacking patterns, the best passers with the best runners while Mainoo and Rice satisfy Southgate’s love of two defensively competent midfielders.

Would prefer Branthwaite come in but Southgate doesn’t seem to trust young CB’s like him or Colwell, rather play Dunk.

Last edited:
Not saying it’s the best team we have as for me Foden would be in an England Pep managed team but based on how Southgate likes to play perhaps the below would be best.

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Mainoo Rice Maddison
Saka Kane Rashford

Maddison and Kane to lock pick with the pace of Saka and Rashford. Less requirement for good coaching and attacking patterns, the best passers with the best runners while Mainoo and Rice satisfy Southgate’s love of two defensively competent midfielders.

Would prefer Branthwaite come in but Southgate doesn’t seem to trust young CB’s like him or Colwell, rather play Dunk.
No Bellingham brave.

Every pundit saying we deserved something out of the game. Honestly! Belgium were far better organised with less quality players. Southgate doesn’t know what he is doing. We stand no chance in the Euros

Watched a different game than me. England created more, played the better football, had far more possession (64%) and also gifted Belgium their two goals. They were a threat on the counter but we're always going to be with Doku playing off Lukaku. Once Stones went off, we were without our entire back four.

Belgium had their moments, but if England could remember how to defend properly it would have been a comfortable win.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom