England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We'll go as far in the tournament as the draw allows.

If we meet a half competent team in the second round, we could easily heroically go out.

Don't forget, we went through on penalties in the last 16 against Columbia in Southgate's first tournament.....and we were behind in the penalty shoot out.

Our team when we played Colombia was shit. That world cup side wasn't good, the team only started actually getting good on paper pre-Euros.

Would have been a travesty to lose that game, but we really should be winning that. What these two games have shown me is what I already knew. We have a fantastic starting 11 with everybody fit. Some great attacking options on the bench. But not an awful lot after that.

When your bench still contains Maddison, Braithwait, Palmer, Gordon, Watkins you clearly have options... Even without having to result to the Gary-ball all-stars like Hendo, Maguire, Gallagher etc.

I'll give him a pass re: full backs though.

Biggest positive was Mainoo who for someone his age and inexperience was quite brilliant over the two games. And Bellingham despite being a bit patchy is our superstar.

Thought Jude was better tonight.... Clearly tried to take responsibility.

Can't wait to see the back of Southgate after the Euros.

.......Fingers crossed. 🤞

For me all the takeaways from both games:

- Dunk shouldn't be in the squad.
-We need a fit Shaw because Chilwell is dog-shit.
-Foden benched. Sorry but we have too many right sided options to put up with poor NT showings.
- Absolutely Mainoo to start.
- Tomori or Branthwaite need to be given 2 starts in the pre-Euros friendlies.
-

I personally think Foden is a better footballer than Saka or Palmer currently but equally Foden is a David Silva type of player playing in a headless chicken Southgate team.

As such a more out and out winger like Palmer or Saka might be more suitable or just move Foden into a central 10 role.

We'll go as far in the tournament as the draw allows.

If we meet a half competent team in the second round, we could easily heroically go out.

Don't forget, we went through on penalties in the last 16 against Columbia in Southgate's first tournament.....and we were behind in the penalty shoot out.

Our semi-final in the Euro's v Denmark was a very narrow, sketchy affair too.

I personally think Foden is a better footballer than Saka or Palmer currently but equally Foden is a David Silva type of player playing in a headless chicken Southgate team.

As such a more out and out winger like Palmer or Saka might be more suitable.

Saka is definitely more suited to Southgate ball, more than than Foden or Palmer anyway...Bowen would actually do really well as well especially playing with Kane.

Our semi-final in the Euro's v Denmark was a very narrow, sketchy affair too.
I really hope I'm wrong, but as I said above, it will be the draw that determines how far we go.

And when we inevitably lose to the first competently trained team, Southgate will say

'we're a young team and we will learn from this defeat and gain valuable experience'

Palmer and Braitwaite not getting minutes is a joke. Two of the best players in the whole league this season.

Especially Branthwaite given how many injuries to CB we've had and who got on to the pitch, he must be gutted to have not even been given a chance .. Palmer makes slightly more sense given our depth and talent in wide positions/the fact we have Maddison but still..

For me

- Southgate simply isn’t good enough, 8 years and no attacking patterns

- Dunk is not of the level. Branthwaite, Tomori, Maguire and Stones should be who goes.

- Mainoo is a great number 6/8, him and Rice will do well

- Maddison in his short time on the pitch threaded several balls through the lines opening the play and also set up the winning goal. England need him as a lock picker, he is our most creative passer, Kane aside.

- England badly miss Kane but Toney is better than Watkins.

- Shaw is an elite left back and the downgrade to Chilwell is quite stark. Gomez is also not that great, we do miss Walker/James.

As such a more out and out winger like Palmer or Saka might be more suitable or just move Foden into a central 10 role.

Rashford (Gordon / Palmer) / Kane (Toney / Watkins) / Saka (Bowen / Palmer)
Foden / Rice / Jude
(+ Maddison / Mainoo / TAA)
Shaw / Braithwait / Stones / Walker
Also:
Guehi / Tamori
Trippier / TAA / James /
+ Gary faves: Slabhead / Hendo / Gallagher.
I'm not having the crap about depth.

LB sure but otherwise nahhhhhh.

I really hope I'm wrong, but as I said above, it will be the draw that determines how far we go.

And when we inevitably lose to the first competently trained team, Southgate will say

'we're a young team and we will learn from this defeat and gain valuable experience'

My expectations are thoroughly grounded now...... But I'm sure I'll get swept up in it all and dare to dream by the time it's all underway.

Rashford (Gordon / Palmer) / Kane (Toney / Watkins) / Saka (Bowen / Palmer)
Foden / Rice / Jude
(+ Maddison / Mainoo / TAA)
Shaw / Braithwait / Stones / Walker
I'm not having the crap about depth.

LB & back up CBs sure but otherwise nahhhhhh.

We've got lots of depth in a lot of positions and next to none in others. Rice being out would be pretty detrimental for example, as would Shaw and Stones.

When your bench still contains Maddison, Braithwait, Palmer, Gordon, Watkins you clearly have options... Even without having to result to the Gary-ball all-stars like Hendo, Maguire, Gallagher etc.

I'll give him a pass re: full backs though.

Thought Jude was better tonight.... Clearly tried to take responsibility.

.......Fingers crossed. 🤞
I actually think that Bellingham didn't have that good a game tonight. Dwelt on the ball far too much and was always looking to do something special, often to the detriment of the move.

Supremely talented Footballer, but I got the feeling that he's believing his own hype a little too much.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but that's what I'm seeing.

I actually think that Bellingham didn't have that good a game tonight. Dwelt on the ball far too much and was always looking to do something special, often to the detriment of the move.

Supremely talented Footballer, but I got the feeling that he's believing his own hype a little too much.

You're seeing a genius at work who any team would be on their knees for.

Definitely harsh. He's outstanding. Even when he has a mixed bag like he did tonight performance wise, you always know he's capable of producing. That's the sign of a truly great player, making an impact even when not at your best.

He's young, flying high for his club and trying to make a difference.

He could just be ghosting about just behind the striker waiting for flicks and jazzy things; but he didn't... He was in the thick of it, worked hard, covered ground, happy to go to ground and tackle to prevent breaks.

If he's poncing around like a primadonna or playing like Dele's brother I'll be on him, but that's not what we saw tonight.

Definitely harsh. He's outstanding. Even when he has a mixed bag like he did tonight performance wise, you always know he's capable of producing. That's the sign of a truly great player, making an impact even when not at your best.

He always tries to do something. It's called confidence. Some people don't like it and have a problem with ego's. Bellingham has an ego, and he will do tricks, he will try the audacious, and sometimes people will get annoyed. But he nearly always delivers - and why wouldn't he ""believe the hype""" FFS he's been the star player for the world's biggest club. At twenty years old. And he's already England's main man.

The guy has everything - you can see players already looking to him for inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom