England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brazil created more dangerous opportunities.

They did over 90 minutes, and that's why I said earlier in the thread that they edged it. But for most of the game it was end to end with little in it. We took off our two best players on the night, Bellingham and Gordon, and no surprise we then did little for the last part of the game. On the contrary they brought on their next big thing who won the game for them.

I think he would have helped us to create a bit more though with his passing. We relied on Bellingham too much today to create us something. All Brazil did to stop him was foul him. Paqueta alone fouled him 6 times. Their other defensive midfielder 3 or 4 times. That's why we really missed the likes of Shaw, Trippier and Alexander-Arnold today. We had no creativity at all from those areas because Chilwell was garbage, and Konsa and Gomez are ultimately centre-backs first and foremost. To what extent Kane would have made exactly is debatable, but I think he would definitely have made some.

We struggle to create a lot of the time even with Kane.

We struggle to create a lot of the time even with Kane.

Weren't we top scorers in the last World Cup? I mean against the best sides we do. But they often have great defenders which you also have to appreciate. But again, we all know that Southgate clearly can't get the best out of the attackers he has at his disposal and is why people have never really taken to him. But Brazil played with a lot of respect for England tonight. Had plenty of men back, played with two deep lying midfielders, kicked Bellingham as much as possible and relied on the pace of their forwards on the counter to get them a goal.

They did over 90 minutes, and that's why I said earlier in the thread that they edged it. But for most of the game it was end to end with little in it. We took off our two best players on the night, Bellingham and Gordon, and no surprise we then did little for the last part of the game. On the contrary they brought on their next big thing who won the game for them.

You can also say that England brought on Bowen (14 goals in the best league in the world) and they brought on a kid who has never played in Europe.

You can also say that England brought on Bowen (14 goals in the best league in the world) and they brought on a kid who has never played in Europe.

But one plays for Real Madrid now and the other for West Ham, for good reason. Bowen is a fine Premier League player, but he's yet to show he can do it at all on the International stage.

Weren't we top scorers in the last World Cup?

Dunno..... Burying a ultra-trash minow 6-0 or something will help that to a massive degree though.

I mean against the best sides we do. But they often have great defenders which you also have to appreciate. But again, we all know that Southgate clearly can't get the best out of the attackers he has at his disposal and is why people have never really taken to him.

So why the contradiction if you "know" it to be true......?

I can't be arsed to crunch the stats again (they're in this thread somewhere); but our non-Kane, non-setpeice goals record across the last 4/5 years is appalling (aside from bullying utter shite)........ And that includes games against teams like Poland, Denmark, Austria, Switerland, Australia, a crap Italy etc. etc.

If a squad dripping with top class attacking talent like ours struggles to create that is 100% a managerial problem.

But one plays for Real Madrid now and the other for West Ham, for good reason. Bowen is a fine Premier League player, but he's yet to show he can do it at all on the International stage.

Endrick is a 17 y/o kid that hasn't kicked a ball outside of Brazil.

It will be exactly the same as every other tournament.

We’ll lose the moment we face any hint of quality, be that quarters, semis or final.

There’s a constipated industry at the heart of this team that will never change. We’re the international Aston Villa.
I don't want to piss on anyone chips because I'm not invested in England at international level. But I smile at the inane talking up of the side I hear from fans. They are blind to the very obvious flaws they tell you they can win this or that whilst elevating people like Leiws Dunk and Harry Maguire to 'soild defensive options. It's willfully over optimistic.

The centerbacks are weak, with the exception of Stones, the left back reliance on Shaw a huge issue because Chilwell is average. Pickford is average , Saka Walker Bellingham Rice are class the step from Kane to every other centre forward option is like the drop from the Bristol suspension bridge. Then there's the huge issue of the coach and his deputy. They will as you say be beaten by the first top notch team they play most likely in a quarter finals. Oh and still....English football has forgotten how to make a genuinely creative playmaker.

Last edited:
I don't want to piss on anyone chips because I'm not invested in England at international level. But I smile at the inane talking up of the side I hear from fans. They are blind to the very obvious flaws they tell you they can win this or that whilst elevating people like Leiws Dunk and Harry Maguire to 'soild defensive options. It's willfully over optimistic.

The centerbacks are weak, with the exception of Stones, the left back reliance on Shaw a huge issue because Chilwell is average. Pickford is average , Saka Walker Bellingham Rice are class the step from Kane to every other centre forward option is like the drop from the Bristol suspension bridge. Then there's the huge issue of the coach and his deputy. They will as you say be beaten by the first top notch team they play most likely in a quarter finals

You're not wrong, but outside of France you could pick holes in every other top side in Europe that will play at the Euros. Also, France lost at home against a not very fancied Germany this evening. I don't think they'll be too worried though, the French.

Back
Top Bottom