England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Course not

If you'd seen the build up all week, we were expected to win. They were already saying we shouldn't read too much into it if/when we beat them.

We're favourites for the Euros FFS - God knows why, you'd think people would learn.

We shouldn't read too much into it that we lost. They brought on one of the brightest talents in Europe while we, because of injuries, brought on the likes of Bowen, Gomez, Dunk and Konsa. Put Kane, Saka and the wing-backs back into the team and we're an excellent side potentially. Losing 0-1 to Brazil in a tight game doesn't change that.

We shouldn't read too much into it that we lost. They brought on one of the brightest talents in Europe while we, because of injuries, brought on the likes of Bowen, Gomez, Dunk and Konsa. Put Kane, Saka and the wing-backs back into the team and we're an excellent side potentially. Losing 0-1 to Brazil in a tight game doesn't change that.

When's the last time we looked excellent unless we were already massive favourites?

Let's see if it's any better Tuesday versus Brazil then.

We will look just the same. Gareth is boring, we will either win these tight games by a set piece or an individual moment, or lose them by the same things.

His coaching will NEVER have us looking really consistently dangerous against high level defences.

It shouldn’t be a tight game. Their backline and midfield are poor. To not test that keeper at all at home is a fucking disgrace.

We were shit. We need to hope it’s because pointless friendly and missing players because playing like that would see us go out in the quarters at best.

Think your reaction is a bit over the top. First half was generally fine. Second half we faded, and it's no surprise considering who we took off and who we brought on. I just hope Southgate sees that Gallagher isn't the answer in midfield against good opposition as he's far too one paced. But Mainoo looked excellent in his cameo and will surely start against Belgium, as will Palmer and Toney hopefully.

Think your reaction is a bit over the top. First half was generally fine. Second half we faded, and it's no surprise considering who we took off and who we brought on. I just hope Southgate sees that Gallagher isn't the answer in midfield against good opposition as he's far too one paced. But Mainoo looked excellent in his cameo and will surely start against Belgium, as will Palmer and Toney hopefully.

It was the usual. We will press and win fouls and corners but when do we create anything of note from open play in big games? Even against France it was all penalties.

It’s our Achilles heel. We rely on moments, once Bellingham’s driving runs were gone we could’ve played for years and not scored.

No way should Southgate be relying on Bellingham for us to look dangerous. It’s insane.

When's the last time we looked excellent unless we were already massive favourites?

We won't become the team we could be until Southgate has gone. But then we have to obviously make the right appointment. We're a very good team now, one that's difficult to beat. Every time we lost important games it's always by one goal. We could be excellent but clearly we're not there yet.

We will look just the same. Gareth is boring, we will either win these tight games by a set piece or an individual moment, or lose them by the same things.

His coaching will NEVER have us looking really consistently dangerous against high level defences.
I don't understand why you questioned why I didn't think we were favourites then?

You know exactly what you're going to get with a Southgate side. Boring plodding shite.

We go as far as the luck of the draw allows us to progress untill we actually come up against a half decent side.

I was at the game and Watching England live has confirmed to me that Southgate is holding the players back. No attempt to play out from the back or any pattern of play. Looks all off the cuff. A better coach gets more from this group of players. Very frustrating.

I don't understand why you questioned why I didn't think we were favourites then?

You know exactly what you're going to get with a Southgate side. Boring plodding shite.

We go as far as the luck of the draw allows us to progress untill we actually come up against a half decent side.

We’re favourites because finalists of the last one and we have a large amount of talent in the team. It makes sense, it’s just the coaching factor is underrated.

We could win it. Teams have before by being very safe and hoping for moments. But it won’t be because of the coach.

It was the usual. We will press and win fouls and corners but when do we create anything of note from open play in big games? Even against France it was all penalties.

It’s our Achilles heel. We rely on moments, once Bellingham’s driving runs were gone we could’ve played for years and not scored.

No way should Southgate be relying on Bellingham for us to look dangerous. It’s insane.

It's the Southgate way. But he's off after the Euros regardless of what happens. Hopefully then we'll appoint somebody who can get more out of all the attacking talent we have, and create more chances in open play, which has always been a big criticism you can aim at Southgate's teams.

Today wasn't great and we lost when we should have got something from the game. I just don't see it as being close to a disaster.

I was at the game and Watching England live has confirmed to me that Southgate is holding the players back. No attempt to play out from the back or any pattern of play. Looks all off the cuff. A better coach gets more from this group of players. Very frustrating.

I agree with the Southgate comment but I actually thought we played it out from the back really well most of the time. I really can't remember us hoofing too many balls up the pitch. Sadly, Watkins, as effective as he can be in the right system, just doesn't have the presence Kane or even Toney does.

He was like that as a manager of Middlesbrough. He is a nice guy but we need a coach who can work attacking patterns of play. We all can see Southgate’s plan is just moments of individual brilliance, reminds me of AVB with Bale. Would love for Potter or someone just to come in, we would generate far more chances. Thing is tonight we had enough quality even with absences to dominate the play against Brazil but without the cutting moves we need.

He looked like a Championship player up against players with pace and movement.
Aye, he was the only player I saw, in an England shirt, that looked out of his depth.

We were extremely slow though, in our attacking intent. We pressed well, but I thought that, once Brazil settled in, they played through our press very well. However, when we broke, it wasn't quick enough. They were very disciplined defensively, but we allowed them far too much time to get players behind the ball. The amount of times I saw us trying to dribble or flick through a packed 8 man defence was ridiculous.

Some encouraging debuts though, along with some promising performances. I thought Gallagher did well, along with Gordon. Consa impressed me, considering he's not a fullback. Mainoo looks like he could be a very, very good player.

Just as we shouldn't read too much into it if we'd won, I also don't think we should read too much into the loss.

It's the Southgate way. But he's off after the Euros regardless of what happens. Hopefully then we'll appoint somebody who can get more out of all the attacking talent we have, and create more chances in open play, which has always been a big criticism you can aim at Southgate's teams.

Today wasn't great and we lost when we should have got something from the game. I just don't see it as being close to a disaster.

I fucking hope so because we’re probably not going to win the Euros and I don’t want to see such an exciting group of players continue to be wasted by caution first, set piece reliant football where the name of the game is play it slow and safe and hope for the best.

I like Southgate. Good bloke, handles the press well, done a solid job. I’ll remember his England era fondly. But the time to pass on his fucking baton has passed, he isn’t the man you want overseeing this squad.

Aye, he was the only player I saw, in an England shirt, that looked out of his depth.

We were extremely slow though, in our attacking intent. We pressed well, but I thought that, once Brazil settled in, they played through our press very well. However, when we broke, it wasn't quick enough. They were very disciplined defensively, but we allowed them far too much time to get players behind the ball. The amount of times I saw us trying to dribble or flick through a packed 8 man defence was ridiculous.

Some encouraging debuts though, along with some promising performances. I thought Gallagher did well, along with Gordon. Consa impressed me, considering he's not a fullback. Mainoo looks like he could be a very, very good player.

Just as we shouldn't read too much into it if we'd won, I also don't think we should read too much into the loss.

Exactly how I saw it really. It was two good teams missing key players. For most of the game there was nothing in it, but they finished stronger and looked more likely to score a second than we did to equalize, which is dissapointing. We all know with Kane's link up play and quality this evening we would have had much more of a goal threat. Watkins is good but he's not Kane. In fact I think Toney offers more and would have Watkins as number three.

Exactly how I saw it really. It was two good teams missing key players. For most of the game there was nothing in it, but they finished stronger and looked more likely to score a second than we did to equalize, which is dissapointing. We all know with Kane's link up play and quality this evening we would have had much more of a goal threat. Watkins is good but he's not Kane. In fact I think Toney offers more and would have Watkins as number three.
I'm not so sure we'd have been any better with Kane in the team, he'd still have struggled to get a shot off the way they packed their defence.

I actually thought the game was set up for Watkins, when we started overlapping on the wings. All it really needed was more urgency. The occasions we did get the overlap working, it was so slow that they had their CB's & midfield back and set, not facing their own goal.

That's what I think was missing tonight, real attacking intent, getting the overlap going at the halfway line, not after pushing them deep into their own half.

We did not look like a good team and nor did they. We looked like two very average teams with a couple of very good players.

First half especially it was basically waiting for a Vini moment vs waiting for a Bellingham moment. The rest looked bang average and neither team looked particularly well coached at all.

Swap the name Southgate with Hodgson , the FA will always make the next appointment a fuckup.

Ask Harry Kane what he thinks of the England managers he's had to suffer.

Anyone wemember when Woy had Hawwy taking corners ?

I'm not so sure we'd have been any better with Kane in the team, he'd still have struggled to get a shot off the way they packed their defence.

I actually thought the game was set up for Watkins, when we started overlapping on the wings. All it really needed was more urgency. The occasions we did get the overlap working, it was so slow that they had their CB's & midfield back and set, not facing their own goal.

That's what I think was missing tonight, real attacking intent, getting the overlap going at the halfway line, not after pushing them deep into their own half.

I think he would have helped us to create a bit more though with his passing. We relied on Bellingham too much today to create us something. All Brazil did to stop him was foul him. Paqueta alone fouled him 6 times. Their other defensive midfielder 3 or 4 times. That's why we really missed the likes of Shaw, Trippier and Alexander-Arnold today. We had no creativity at all from those areas because Chilwell was garbage, and Konsa and Gomez are ultimately centre-backs first and foremost. To what extent Kane would have made exactly is debatable, but I think he would definitely have made some.

Back
Top Bottom