Disco Benny

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't cover himself in glory last night, at least Naughton looked like he gave a shit on the other side.

Haven't seen him play this bad since his first few games for the club.

He was dreadful last night, as I've said before - he needs a kick up the arse or he needs replacing. One-on-one he's a decent defender, but his reading of the game, positioning and awareness are poor. People who say that he is a better defender than Baines need a head check

He was dreadful last night, as I've said before - he needs a kick up the arse or he needs replacing. One-on-one he's a decent defender, but his reading of the game, positioning and awareness are poor. People who say that he is a better defender than Baines need a head check
I've always hated his positioning. Regardless of who he is up against and how wide they play, he sits on the edge of the box and leaves himself too much ground to cover in free flowing play, to the point that a lot of balls get put in without much pressure. Then there is the question of him losing his man and giving up the chase... Grrr...

But that's always been part of his game, for better or worse. Amusing that people are only getting shitty about it now, when he has been doing it his entire Spurs career.

I still wouldn't change him for any other LB, even Baines doesn't have the hair, despite his best efforts.

I also liked the fact that he told Ramos that 'we don't play tennis we play football' when giving it everything in training, that is the attitude I want from all of our players to give 100% of whatever ability you have.

Plus I have this crazy notion of feeling some sort of loyalty to a player who has been candid and honest about life as a footballer and yet he has still warmed to us.

Why do some fans ask loyalty of the players they want to keep and yet are more than too happy to 'upgrade' others at the drop of a hat?

Where is the pride in that? Where is the integrity?

But that's always been part of his game, for better or worse. Amusing that people are only getting shitty about it now, when he has been doing it his entire Spurs career.
I think many people felt that some of his more elaborate turns past players almost overcame his defensive frailties? I've never been sure about him defensively, but I feel that perhaps when we were challenging for top four that was all okay? But now that area is much more competitive, and I think that if Spurs wants to be a team that wants to stay among the elite then I think that BAE won't be good enough for us.

Some say about how good he is going forward but is he really? How many times has he put a meaningful cross into the box that a striker has got on the end of? I think it's all a bit of an illusion.

At the moment our full-backs are probably the weakest point of our side along with the strikers. That is a shame, as our centre-backs and goalkeepers are very good. I like that Naughton was picked to play against Basel, and I hope he starts against Everton.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto - 191 games 11 assists and 3 goals in all competitions
Kyle Walker - 88 games 6 assists 3 goals in all competitions
Vedran Corluka - 101 games 6 assists 1 goals in all competitions

If Charlie had played as many games, stats indicate he'd be up around the same amount as Benny, whilst even Walker should increase his output as an "attacking fullback". You wouldn't call Charlie an attacking fullback, but there are his stats, not far off either of them.

BAE's definitely the best LB we've had in a long time, which I think endears people to him. But we don't really have a prolific attacking full back in our team, if you want to see what that looks like:

Leighton Baines - 6 assists and 7 goals THIS SEASON and he's a much better defender than either of them.

A LB (or RB) that assists and scores as well as defending is great - but being a great defender comes first. So some stats on that maybe?

There was a time that BAE and GB were playing really well together on the left side. All changed when Bale started to roam and switch sides and take on a more attacking role in general.

Plus I have this crazy notion of feeling some sort of loyalty to a player who has been candid and honest about life as a footballer and yet he has still warmed to us.

Why do some fans ask loyalty of the players they want to keep and yet are more than too happy to 'upgrade' others at the drop of a hat?

Is weird, all we want is our players to passionate and loyal yet when the chance comes to get a better player, we'll jump at it and think he's the next big thing. But then as fans we want the club to be continuously improving and they're on a very wage after-all so we shouldn't feel too sorry

Most of this statistic is because he takes the free kicks, corners, and also (I think) sometimes penalties...
Alright, I didn't really want to be churlish and start putting everyone up, but:

Ashley Cole 256 games 27 assists and 7 goals (Chelsea only)
Patrice Evra 248 games 20 assists and 7 goals

I'll not get started on the players on the continent...

Is weird, all we want is our players to passionate and loyal yet when the chance comes to get a better player, we'll jump at it and think he's the next big thing. But then as fans we want the club to be continuously improving and they're on a very wage after-all so we shouldn't feel too sorry
I would foresake some spurious notion of continuous improvement for integrity every day of the week.

we were crying out for a decent lb for years, and now we have one who has played over 100
games for the club, certain people are coveting perceived improvements.
he's not a bad player he just needs to regain his form, same goes for walker currently.think I may be on my own clearly, too much impatience being shown for my liking. he's been part of a back line which has got us 4th before and I hope come the end of the season he will have been again.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto - 191 games 11 assists and 3 goals in all competitions
Kyle Walker - 88 games 6 assists 3 goals in all competitions
Vedran Corluka - 101 games 6 assists 1 goals in all competitions

If Charlie had played as many games, stats indicate he'd be up around the same amount as Benny, whilst even Walker should increase his output as an "attacking fullback". You wouldn't call Charlie an attacking fullback, but there are his stats, not far off either of them.

BAE's definitely the best LB we've had in a long time, which I think endears people to him. But we don't really have a prolific attacking full back in our team, if you want to see what that looks like:

Leighton Baines - 6 assists and 7 goals THIS SEASON and he's a much better defender than either of them.

So what you're really saying is we should buy Baines? Yup, I could get behind this.

So what you're really saying is we should buy Baines? Yup, I could get behind this.

Baines is already 28 turning 29 in December. Everton would demand a big fee for him. From a talent perspective he is a clear upgrade, but he seems to me more of a Harry signing and not an AVB signing.

BAE has ways of finding space for through balls and short lobs that you don't see with either Naughton or Verts in that position. He made a few bad passes last game but people seem to be over reacting. He can float crosses in with the best of them.

His biggest weakness is in the defensive match up. There are some match ups he is just not suited for. His small frame can be easily exploited when putting him up against a bigger opponent. Basel's speed the other night would have bothered most quality defenders

I realize being a founding member of the Society for the Appreciation of Benoit, Norther Rockies Chapter, makes me biased though.

WARNING: Rant. Don't read if you might remotely think that I might tell you to fuck off.

BAE has been very poor lately, but he's also not playing to his usual standard, either.

99% of Benny haters have simply been waiting for this moment, and are far removed from any reasonable criticism of him. They been exactly those same people that have watched him play positive attacking "Spurs football" for the past few seasons, and have nevertheless hated him for his "attitude."

I've watched his play closely since his return from injury, and in most cases have desperately wanted to remove him from the field of play. Yes, BAE has been terrible lately. He is now routinely booting it up the field, gifting possession in the process, but that's hardly been his M.O. during his tenure at Spurs, thus far.

Let's not forget that by many metrics he was easily one of the standout fullbacks of the entire league last season (admittedly, as was Walker, who I strongly consider to be our current "weak link").

Through his tenure, BAE's play has predominately been dominated by flair, close control, and intricate, attacking one-two passing patterns.

Those that currently seek to misrepresent BAE's past accomplishments at Spurs are a fucking plague. They [/i]DEFINE[/i] that element that has been so absolutely spoiled by the current expectation of success that they've forgotten what it means to be Spurs.

And, it is thoroughly my understanding that this post [/i]DIRECTLY[/i] criticizes a great many of the other greatly respected and long-standing members of the TFC forums. In this instance, I really don't give a shit. In fact, I DIRECTLY mean to.

This is a player that has earned our patience, who has defined the Tottenham style of play -- for better or worse -- for damned near as long or longer than anyone else in the squad.

Some members might have previously criticized me for being a rep-whore, for predominantly posting that which I know will be readily and fondly received by the TFC masses. Perhaps, in some instances, they might be justified. In broad strokes, I can't say that in all circumstances that I disagree with this. Admittedly, the attraction of social acceptance is occasionally tempting, that all people in their weakness might appeal to social acceptance, but here I have to fucking take a stand. At the moment, I really don't give shit if I create such a rabid post that I tempt the resident forum moderators to fucking ban me forever from these forums, whatever the fuck that would take. Paydro Paydro any ideas?

The Champion's League means the world to me. More, perhaps. But, I'm not prepared to sell my fucking soul to receive it.

BAE has given a damned strong portion of his career to Spurs, and has acted thoroughly professional throughout, regardless what some might say. He's not once destabilized the squad, or angled for a transfer. Remember, at his height he's been connected with a great many other "big" clubs. Most recently, he was connected earlier this season with Chelsea. His potential future actions really don't count for shit at the moment. Thus far he has conducted himself with thorough professionalism.

His attitude thus far? Let me define that attitude: I am playing for Spurs. That's it and that's all. If they want to trade me, so be it.

That's something that I can fucking respect.

This is not a man that has earned one single fucking ounce of disrespect or cynicism. This is a man who has earned every fucking ounce of patience from us.

The day might come that he destroys every ounce of faith that I hold in him. In matters of professional sports, I can almost see it coming. Perhaps he doesn't deserve the amount of blind loyalty that I'm willing to distill in him at the moment, but right now that's the price that I'm willing to bear for having a soul, and to every fucking one of you that disagrees with me, fuck off!

Seriously, fuck off.

If AVB kicks BAE to the curb it is absolutely the single greatest mistake that he could ever make at Spurs. Virtually everyone here knows that I am quite possibly the single greatest AVB advocate on this forum. I was one of the very, very first that lobbied for AVB as soon as Redknapp was sacked.

BAE is a prototypical attacking/possessive wingback. Modification: BAE is the prototypical AVB fullback. If AVB can't see that, then I'm fully willing to call quits on my AVB obsession and call him a clueless incompetent.

And, if he puts in 4 own goals tomorrow, then I'm perfectly happy to permanently retire from this forum. Fuck every last one of you that wants rid of BAE.

[/img]
middle_finger.png
[/img]

Seriously though, fuck off to hell, every one of you.

It's 3:30 am here, and I'm so fucking worked up off of pure adrenaline that I feel that I could last until 3:30 am tomorrow, just to spam "fuck you" to every person that is calling for BAE's permanent removal from the squad.

Here's a fucking clue: reinstate some fucking modicum of organization to the squad so that BAE might have some decent outlet again, to facilitate his re-integration into the first team.

Fuck off, I'm about to go to bed. Then, fuck off again.

Then, when I read my neg reps in the morning, you can all fuck off once more.

then once more, again

edit: YAY!!! I just received a double warning on another site for being in an especially pissy mood. Actually, feel quite good, just don't feel like taking shit.

Back
Top Bottom