Danny Rose or Benoît Assou-Ekotto?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who should we play left back next season?

• Total voters
Just wondering what the general consensus is on this one really, Rose or BAE or go out and buy a new left back?

I would personally want to see us playing Rose to see if he has really improved enough at Sunderland.

We need a squad, Rose and Benni playing equal amounts. If you had asked which one we should play when we are against a top 4 team and which one against a mid to lower side, then I wouldn't have been able to give an answer. need to see how Rose beds into the team.

3035710-solution.jpg

I'd say both too!
BTW, just seen the BAE comments that he'd never heard of Paulinho, and didn't recognise VdV when he saw him at the training ground...

Zis guy, whass he like? He ztill too cool for football!

:bae:

Seems that the Rose love is a classic case of the grass always being greener. We should absolutely give him a chance and if he's better than Benny fair play. But so far in his career (aside from his...PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT!) he's just not better than Benny.

But people seem to forget that Benny missed a lot of the season with an injury -- I'm interested in seeing what he looks like after a full preseason with AVB's system. Same for Rose, honestly.

I'd like to see us sign a new LB who fits AVB's system and isn't as prone to lapses in concentration as either of Rose and BAE.

Only problem is who. There seems to be a bit of a shortage in decent LBs at the moment - as you see United turning to Baines without really looking at anybody else. Alvaro Pereira is forever linked but I see mixed reports and the likes of Coentrao and Filipe Luis are out of our reach. You then look to somebody like Umtiti or Shaw but both are so young you'd be risking it to go in with either as our planned first choice LB next season. Willems signed a new contract unfortunately.

Anybody who watches more European football than I do think there's a decent option out there that we should pick up - otherwise we might be stuck with Benny and Rose.

Have said it before, but Rose needs his chance. We loaned him out to a PL team and he smashed it. If we're already giving up on him why didn't we just sell in jan when Sunderland were keen.

This POV also stems from the lack of obvious left backs that could come in and do better than our current two (I suspect Contrao could be the answer next year as part of a swap for GB unfortunately)

I'd like to see us sign a new LB who fits AVB's system and isn't as prone to lapses in concentration as either of Rose and BAE.

Only problem is who. There seems to be a bit of a shortage in decent LBs at the moment - as you see United turning to Baines without really looking at anybody else. Alvaro Pereira is forever linked but I see mixed reports and the likes of Coentrao and Filipe Luis are out of our reach. You then look to somebody like Umtiti or Shaw but both are so young you'd be risking it to go in with either as our planned first choice LB next season. Willems signed a new contract unfortunately.

Anybody who watches more European football than I do think there's a decent option out there that we should pick up - otherwise we might be stuck with Benny and Rose.
These names are off the top of my head so I may be forgetting some that I know about.

Fredrico Baltzaretti - Had a terrible season for Roma last year but has usually been great over at Palermo before he moved. I've always been a fan of his.

Mattia de Sciglio - Young LB for Milan. Had a breakout season last year and was one of their best players throughout the year. Milan probably wouldn't let him go for cheap.

Alex Sandro - This one is probably a bit unrealistic because I think he'd cost a ton. I don't know much about him because I don't watch the Portuguese league but I've heard that he's a star in the making.

Bastian Oczipka - Had a great season and almost helped Frankfurt to a champions league spot. Had 8 assists from the left back position and averaged 1.9 key passes per game which is astounding for a LB. He's young too, would probably cost a decent amount.

Jeremy Mathieu - I've watched him the past few years over at Valencia and I've always been a fan of this. Had a great season last year and was even linked with Barca. He's fairly old, I think 29 now, but he's a solid defender and good going forward too. Probably the cheapest option here too. Would love him here.

Jeremy Mathieu - I've watched him the past few years over at Valencia and I've always been a fan of this. Had a great season last year and was even linked with Barca. He's fairly old, I think 29 now, but he's a solid defender and good going forward too. Probably the cheapest option here too. Would love him here.

I thought Cissokho was their left back?

Haven't watched any Valencia this season so don't know.

Cheers for the other names.

I thought Cissokho was their left back?

Haven't watched any Valencia this season so don't know.

Cheers for the other names.
Cissokho was pretty poor last season. Matthieu was better. He filled in at CB at times though. Definitely knows how to defend.

I wouldn't mind taking a punt on Cissokho so long as it's a fairly low fee. He seemed to be the bogs dollocks when he was at Lyon. No chance of Domenico Criscito? What happened to Michel Bastos too? I know he's a winger but he used to get games at left back for Brazil so maybe a bit of a long shot although I do get the feeling he might not be as defensively sound as we'd like. I do get the feeling we'll just end up sticking with BAE and Rose for at least half the season which is fine by me since we'll have Mr. Rose for the weeks Benny doesn't feel like working.

But people seem to forget that Benny missed a lot of the season with an injury -- I'm interested in seeing what he looks like after a full preseason with AVB's system. Same for Rose, honestly.

If we don't sign anyone, I'd expect to see both playing in August with the two EL playoff games we have to negotiate. We may get a better idea from here and then buy someone in panic overpriced on deadline day.

You play whichever player is in the best condition and form at the start of the season. It isn't an either/or situation really. If Rose is ready, he'll push BAE out in training and get his chance.

No point in making suppositions as we haven't seen him play in this team. In fact, we haven't seen Benny play in this team either, given we are all expecting to line up 4-3-3.

I agree that both could well end up being used. Alternatively, with BAE being 29 (is that right?) it might be a good time to sell him and get some cash for a decent player.

I don't understand why some people dont like Benny, I think he's a really good LB, which is probably the hardest position to fill in the whole team. Don't get me wrong, sometimes he gives me a heart attack, but very entertaining, and not easy to find a better option. I hope that Rose continues to develop.

Back
Top Bottom