Current Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because it was something like 40 players short and fear mongering. He gave you the impression we had a much smaller squad to choose from.

:paulinhofacepalm:

I thought you'd "got it" after the other thread but you clearly still don't understand a thing about the PL squad rules....

:paulinhofacepalm:

I thought you'd "got it" after the other thread but you clearly still don't understand a thing about the PL squad rules....

And you posted the PREVIOUS PL squad like it was what we were limited to. Ignoring dozens of other players on our books.

You were scoffing in that thread:

"So what I gather so far is this:
Sell all our home grown players + 4 or 5 more.
Buy 7 or 8 new players. Because that didn't go wrong this time last year?"

That was a ref to people claiming Townsend, Rose, Naughton and Lennon's names were coming up all the time. You were making fun of people willing to sell these players, using the home grown rule as a point of ref as why it's a bad idea.

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/fo...ow-discussion-thread.9171/page-45#post-508663

From your post:

"Our HG list for this season is:

Walker, Rose, Dawson, Lennon, Sigurðsson, Townsend, Defoe, Naughton

Now, despite the utter ramblings of the tool on here, we can't clear out all our 'poor english players' without being kicked out the league. So, with JD gone, we're already one HG player short. I'm not fully sure how the summer is going to work and whether any reserve players are going to be old enough to count..."

This threads opening post makes a mockery of your claims on how low on the ground we are regarding the home grown players. It's why I called you a sasquatch of misinformation.

Does anyone else fancy explaining this, it's getting a little bit like trying to teach a donkey to write

Mate..You said Defoe gone makes us one HG player short. Laughing at others for the idea of selling Rose, Lennon, Townsend and Naughton due to the HG rule. You can't even claim my point is wrong, about you putting out of date lists of players in ref to the HG rule. You can't deny it...Just pretend I'm dumb.

Mate..You said Defoe gone makes us one HG player short. Laughing at others for the idea of selling Rose, Lennon, Townsend and Naughton due to the HG rule. You can't even claim my point is wrong, about you putting out of date lists of players in ref to the HG rule. You can't deny it...Just pretend I'm dumb.

Luckily, you're taking away that necessity

To help further explain Éperons Éperons list, I've made a little list to demonstrate the choices required.

You don't have to choose 25 players in total, nor does anything have to happen with the over 21's you don't pick, you just can only make a matchday squad from players you've picked in your (upto) 25 man squad or the U21's list:

24xnyna.jpg

I've also added in some rough positions, just to show the cover here and there. Bear in mind Kane, Pritchard and Bentaleb are mixed in with a load of Academy players in the U21 list.

If anyone wants to make a selection based on these lists, it'd be cool to hear what you'd do.

I think we'd be a bit silly to substitute experience for youth, so if any of our HG first team'ers leave, I'd like to see them replaced like for like as to fully utilise our HG spaces.

Last edited:
I think we'd be a bit silly to substitute experience for youth, so if any of our HG first team'ers leave, I'd like to see them replaced like for like as to fully utilise our HG spaces.

All bitching aside, I don't think they even need to be replaced. Not all of them. If we got rid of 4 and brought in 2 HG stalwarts I think we would be OK with the rest of the younger players. I don't think Rose, Townsend and Naughton are experienced players and have been guilty of schoolboy errors. I don't think Lennon has shown any usefulness when it comes to this aspect either. And Defoe who you said was a loss, IMO is about as bad as it gets for experienced players influence on and off the pitch (screaming at Eriksen, ignoring open Soldados etc). In fact I think he was a terrible influence on many players and getting rid of him had a positive influence on the younger players like Eriksen and Kane who lit up the pitch recently.

Because it was something like 40 players short and fear mongering. He gave you the impression we had a much smaller squad to choose from.
I realise (as does anyone with half a brain cell) that we can utilise our youth players at will, but you are suggesting we'd be better off selling Lennon, Rose, Townsend, Naughton etc and using youth players instead. In the next post, you refer to those just listed as making "schoolboy errors" - yet you want to replace them literally with schoolboys.

What I don't think you understand is, no one is saying we HAVE to have 'x' amount of HG players, but simply we'd be foolish not to utilise those squad places. We cannot be competitive in the Premier League (let alone 3 cups) with a squad of 17 players + youth. We'd be an absolute embarrassment.

Surely you can understand that?

All bitching aside, I don't think they even need to be replaced. Not all of them. If we got rid of 4 and brought in 2 HG stalwarts I think we would be OK with the rest of the younger players. I don't think Rose, Townsend and Naughton are experienced players and have been guilty of schoolboy errors. I don't think Lennon has shown any usefulness when it comes to this aspect either. And Defoe who you said was a loss, IMO is about as bad as it gets for experienced players influence on and off the pitch (screaming at Eriksen, ignoring open Soldados etc). In fact I think he was a terrible influence on many players and getting rid of him had a positive influence on the younger players like Eriksen and Kane who lit up the pitch recently.
Are you attributing Kane's initial poor form and relative upturn in fortunes in the last few games on Defoe leaving in January, because he "screamed" at players?

I can guarantee you if you asked Harry Kane, he would say he learnt plenty from Jermain during his time at the club. The bloke is a born goalscorer. Kane hasn't shown an ounce of Defoe's ability in front of goal yet.

but you are suggesting we'd be better off selling Lennon, Rose, Townsend, Naughton etc and using youth players instead.

Yes. I would much rather play other younger players than have these stink up our team.

They are TERRIBLE players IMO. Not just bad at their jobs, but create chaos and wasted chances and drag players around them down. To think we have to stick with these players because of this rule is bad information.

Looking at what Bentaleb and Kane did this season along with other players who went on loan and had rave reviews should suffice. Apart from the obvious one where we can buy new players.

So yes...Look at that list: Rose, Townsend, Naughton and Lennon. And think what a waste of wages they were this season. Between them they put a nail in 4th. Put a nail in our cup hopes and derped away all season.

I can guarantee you if you asked Harry Kane, he would say he learnt plenty from Jermain during his time at the club. The bloke is a born goalscorer. Kane hasn't shown an ounce of Defoe's ability in front of goal yet.

Like what? How to be offside? How not to pass to people when they are open? I've looked up Defoe influence on young players in the past. Didnt come up with much. Perhaps he can teach Carroll some banter?

Defoe didnt have a partnership with ANYONE at the club because he was so greedy. Even Crouch that seemed to work for a few months at Portsmouth had a poor tally along with Defoe. He didnt work out with Berbs, Keane, Pav, VDV etc. Can you see Defoe putting his hand on a young players shoulder and giving him advice etc? His nickname is Trouble. Says it all. Now Defoe is no longer an option, it's given players who have a team ethic more room to shine. Defoe can probably teach people banter, or how to score big brother bitches. It's working out for his other prodigy after all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-darts-England-players-prepare-World-Cup.html

"Andros Townsend spotted at the darts as England players prepare for World Cup... was he checking up on his ex-Big Brother girlfriend Hazel O'Sullivan?"

Nice one Townsend! Getting the headlines in the middle of the paper instead of the back just like Defoe did.

article-2637230-1E227F2600000578-797_634x547.jpg

Glad to see he has his head on straight. Seem like his new contract in October is being spent well. Off the pitch anyway.

It's working out for his other prodigy after all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-darts-England-players-prepare-World-Cup.html

"Andros Townsend spotted at the darts as England players prepare for World Cup... was he checking up on his ex-Big Brother girlfriend Hazel O'Sullivan?"

Nice one Townsend! Getting the headlines in the middle of the paper instead of the back just like Defoe did.

Glad to see he has his head on straight. Seem like his new contract in October is being spent well. Off the pitch anyway.
I'm sorry but are you actually criticising a footballer for going to the darts in the off-season?

Like what? How to be offside? How not to pass to people when they are open? I've looked up Defoe influence on young players in the past. Didnt come up with much. Perhaps he can teach Carroll some banter?

Defoe didnt have a partnership with ANYONE at the club because he was so greedy. Even Crouch that seemed to work for a few months at Portsmouth had a poor tally along with Defoe. He didnt work out with Berbs, Keane, Pav, VDV etc. Can you see Defoe putting his hand on a young players shoulder and giving him advice etc? His nickname is Trouble. Says it all. Now Defoe is no longer an option, it's given players who have a team ethic more room to shine. Defoe can probably teach people banter, or how to score big brother bitches. It's working out for his other prodigy after all.

Defoe plays a joke, Townsend goes to the darts = Kane is better than both of them.

Forget his goals, his international caps, his European scoring record for Spurs - you're right, Harry Kane is a much more prolific striker. You must know something that all these managers over the years haven't. Have you considered football management?

What could really do qwith being sorted out is all these fooking midfielders - who the hell is staying, going out of this lot. I think mason & livermore will definately go. I think Falque and Carroll will join them. Pritch and betaleb on loan - thats us down to 11. A full team of midfielders!

1. Bezerra Maciel Júnior, José Paulo
  2. Capoue, Étienne
  3. Chadli, Nacer
  4. Dembélé, Moussa
  5. Eriksen, Christian Dannemann
  6. Falqué, Yago
  7. Holtby, Lewis Harry
  8. Lamela, Erik Manuel
  9. Raniere Guimarães Cordeiro, Sandro
  10. ** Carroll, Thomas James
  11. * Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson
  12. ** Lennon, Aaron Justin
  13. ** Livermore, Jake Cyril
  14. ** Mason, Ryan Glen
  15. ** Townsend, Andros
  16. ** Pritchard, Alex David
  17. Bentaleb, Nabil

Generally you need two players for every position though, so although 10 would sound like a lot (assuming a five man midfield) it still fits comfortably inside 23 players.

Personally i'd have a First XI of
Dembele - Sandro
Lamela - Eriksen - Townsend

With backup for each position as
Paulinho - Capoue
Lennon - Holtby - Chadli

Generally you need two players for every position though, so although 10 would sound like a lot (assuming a five man midfield) it still fits comfortably inside 23 players.

Personally i'd have a First XI of
Dembele - Sandro
Lamela - Eriksen - Townsend

With backup for each position as
Paulinho - Capoue
Lennon - Holtby - Chadli
I think Paulinho will cement a place in our team under Mochaccino. I'd love Dembro to return to form, but I don't think it will. Capoue might leave, in which case I'm happy with Bentaleb filling that gap as cover.

A good 3 in front of them. God if MP gets the best out of Lamela and Townsend we will be as dangerous, if not more-so, than we were on the counter under Harry.

Does this mean Gibbs buried CJJ...?

:adegrin:
I doubt very much whether he could bury his own faeces in a sandpit given a shovel.
Quite why seemingly bright and well informed posters continue to debate (anything) with someone with so little a grasp of football, or how to interact with normal humans is a complete loss to me. As you have discovered, the ignore button is a wonderful device

Back
Top Bottom