Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You guys have watched the ineptitude of our current central midfield to move the ball vertically, and yet you want to call for a further shift to "monsters" and to move our creative talents wide in a 4-3-3? I just simply cannot wrap my brain around why people are still of such a stance. The idea has been absurdly popular for two years now, and after the season we've had I thought it would fizzle out like our attacks once the ball-carrier hits the attacking third, yet it remains.

What I have seen is constant failure of Lennon and Townsend: Townsend is nudging 60 shots at goal in the prem and none of them went in. And he does not have an assist in the prem so whats the point? You take away the herp derp wingplay and put cover behind the lamela's, Eriksens and Holtby's and you will see a different level of intelligence and finishing in the final third.

Look at Holtby now that he does not have remedial buildup from our wingplay. He's getting assists and goals on loan.

What I have seen is constant failure of Lennon and Townsend: Townsend is nudging 60 shots at goal in the prem and none of them went in. And he does not have an assist in the prem so whats the point? You take away the herp derp wingplay and put cover behind the lamela's, Eriksens and Holtby's and you will see a different level of intelligence and finishing in the final third.

Look at Holtby now that he does not have remedial buildup from our wingplay. He's getting assists and goals on loan.

Agreed wing play is all well and good with two up front, we normally play one and with wingers who can cross, we have none. The other issue is that wingers are useful when playing counter attacking football (Harry Redknapp style) but both AVB and Sherwood press which means there is no space to play behind for our wingers to cause problems.

Eriksen Lamela and Lallana would be incredible. Just imagine.
Agree, but in this order:

LW - CAM - RW
Lallana - Eriksen - Lamela
(Right Footed - 2 Footed - Left Footed)

I think someone here ( JDK JDK ?) noted how apt and comfortable Lallana is on the left wing, and that most of his starts were in that position this season. (Let alone the fact that Eriksen has to be in the center)

Eriksen Lamela and Lallana would be incredible. Just imagine.

With Kane up top.

EYGQfDR.gif

Not in favour of playing just monsters, i.e a team of Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele, Bentaleb and Capoue rather our wing play has been so shit this season we might as well try something else. Man City as I have said play two midfielder monsters say Sandro and Bentaleb for us, two false wingers in Silva and Nasri (go where they want) and two strikers. Their foward players are given freedom while they remain strong in the centre, its a very balanced system and we have the players to fit it. I would only play 3 or more monsters against teams like Man City to stop them steam rolling us.

Why look at City for ideas? They have a net spend of £400m over the last 5 years. They are going to score goals no matter what.

Why look at City for ideas? They have a net spend of £400m over the last 5 years. They are going to score goals no matter what.

Yeh but remeber how much they spent that year and came 5th behind us, Peligrini has created a system for the players he has and that system is very interesting to me because its attacking and doesn't require wingers which suits us down to the ground. Lamela, Sandro, Paulinho, Eriksen, Kane and Ade could function quite well in such a system. Quite simply Lennon and Townsend are not providing what we need right now.

You and I have been over the winger issue, so I'm not sure what else I can say there. But once again, I'll inform you that you are beholding the game at a paper-thin level and need to assess the reason why the wingers are placed in awkward situations. The solution you propose would only compound the problem.

Holtby is doing such because he's playing in the middle of a non-congested field with midfielders willing to move the ball vertically (Sidwell), not because of any direct cause from wing play.

This is gonna come across as rather dickish but I assure you it's well-intended, but you've received a lot of criticism on here lately, have you considered the idea of maybe considering other people's points for once?

Not in favour of playing just monsters, i.e a team of Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele, Bentaleb and Capoue rather our wing play has been so shit this season we might as well try something else. Man City as I have said play two midfielder monsters say Sandro and Bentaleb for us, two false wingers in Silva and Nasri (go where they want) and two strikers. Their foward players are given freedom while they remain strong in the centre, its a very balanced system and we have the players to fit it. I would only play 3 or more monsters against teams like Man City to stop them steam rolling us.

That central midfield consists of zero players that look for a vertical pass. The comparison to Citeh isn't even remotely close. You're talking about two forwards on a near-diamond formation of very fluid central midfielders playing somewhat horizontally. It's almost the antithesis of pushing our creative talents into the forward positions. I agree that our wing play has been poor, but removing any and all creativity from the center of the park would propagate the problem far beyond what it already is.

That central midfield consists of zero players that look for a vertical pass. The comparison to Citeh isn't even remotely close. You're talking about two forwards on a near-diamond formation of very fluid central midfielders playing somewhat horizontally. It's almost the antithesis of pushing our creative talents into the forward positions. I agree that our wing play has been poor, but removing any and all creativity from the center of the park would propagate the problem far beyond what it already is.

Not really, Ferandinho is not much better on the ball than Bentaleb or Sandro or Paulinho and Yaya is just a freak of nature but the point is City's system is the system Peligrini created and its fluid nature is based around the freedom David-Silva and Nasri have, in Lamela and Eriksen we have two pretty decent players who could operate in such a system and in Ade and Kane two flexable strikers. Our personel would probably suit that system more than the current one or AVB's and it would at least solve the issue of our terrible wing play.

"The feeling I have at the club isn't dependant on being in the CL, I'm happy here & am looking forward to the future."
A few years ago when Eriksen resisted the temptation of Man city's CL, wages, trophies, etc ... just to further mature/improve himself and to find the right club ... says sooo much about him.

(If not already) in a year or two, we are going to feel the same way we (I) feel with Hugo Lloris ... i.e. How in the world did we get this player?!

Thanks again, Mr. Levy ...

Not really, Ferandinho is not much better on the ball than Bentaleb or Sandro or Paulinho and Yaya is just a freak of nature but the point is City's system is the system Peligrini created and its fluid nature is based around the freedom David-Silva and Nasri have, in Lamela and Eriksen we have two pretty decent players who could operate in such a system and in Ade and Kane two flexable strikers. Our personel would probably suit that system more than the current one or AVB's and it would at least solve the issue of our terrible wing play.

My friend are you serious?

1) Fernandinho may not be a better dribbler, but he has the willingness to get forward and he can place the ball in the net. Paulinho has managed to score a few tap-ins, but he's scored less than he's capitalized on easy goal-scoring opportunities. The key difference though, is that Fernandinho uses the space ahead of him instead of always looking wide, which is exactly what our current midfielders you propose incessantly do.

2) Most importantly, you're saying a central midfield including Silva and Nasri is the same as having one of Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Dembele, and/or Bentaleb? That is the same as saying 2=3. Those two players play centrally, but you're talking about pushing Eriksen, Holtby, and/or Lamela up and out on a forward line. Quite frankly mate, that makes the antithesis of sense.

My friend are you serious?

1) Fernandinho may not be a better dribbler, but he has the willingness to get forward and he can place the ball in the net. Paulinho has managed to score a few tap-ins, but he's scored less than he's capitalized on easy goal-scoring opportunities. The key difference though, is that Fernandinho uses the space ahead of him instead of always looking wide, which is exactly what our current midfielders you propose incessantly do.

2) Most importantly, you're saying a central midfield including Silva and Nasri is the same as having one of Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Dembele, and/or Bentaleb? That is the same as saying 2=3. Those two players play centrally, but you're talking about pushing Eriksen, Holtby, and/or Lamela up and out on a forward line. Quite frankly mate, that makes the antithesis of sense.
I actually like his comparison to City's midfield and I think we do have the players for it. Lets say we play something like this in midfield and up top:

Sandro - Paulinho
Lamela - Eriksen
Soldado - Ade

Give Holtby and Eriksen the freedom to roam wherever the want like Nasri and Silva do. Eriksen has already shown that he has the ability to make things happen when he's given a free role starting in a wide position. I've seen Lamela do it for Roma as well. I wouldn't be worried about up top either. Ade and Soldado have shown the ability to hold the ball up and drift wide as well. The amazing thing about City though, is their ability to play 1 2s that get them out of trouble. In fact, if you watch Pool, City, or Woolwich, any of the teams that rely on quick passing to open up defenses, you'll see all of them play 1 2s all the time to break through the defense and escape trouble. That's what we do not do.

The thing I'd be worried about about those 6 is Sandro and Paulinho's ability to play the 1 2s needed to get out of trouble as they both like to dwell on the ball until they can pick out a forward pass. If they don't have a clear forward pass, they'll go sideways, which happens most of the time. A little bit of coaching and practicing with their teammates can go a long way to that though and that might help them pass the ball more quickly.

I'd also be a worried about the counter attack as well. Yaya is a tank and can do everything and he and Fernandinho can stop counterattacks themselves. I don't know if i'd feel very confident about Pauli and Sandro though. We've seen our players get shredded time and time again this year on counter attacks even with Sandro playing.

Because of popular demand, well from @ Likeaboss Likeaboss I have decided to chance my magic on Eriksen, although don't know why we would sign him. But here you go anyway.
I am taking 70% of the credit for us signing Eriksen, Likeaboss Likeaboss can have the other 30% for getting me to make this thread, but it was all down to my track record with 'have we signed player X' threads that our now beloved Dane came to N17. So, yeah, where is my thanks?

You and I have been over the winger issue, so I'm not sure what else I can say there. But once again, I'll inform you that you are beholding the game at a paper-thin level and need to assess the reason why the wingers are placed in awkward situations. The solution you propose would only compound the problem.

Holtby is doing such because he's playing in the middle of a non-congested field with midfielders willing to move the ball vertically (Sidwell), not because of any direct cause from wing play.

This is gonna come across as rather dickish but I assure you it's well-intended, but you've received a lot of criticism on here lately, have you considered the idea of maybe considering other people's points for once?

Do you want to take a look at what people were criticizing me for? It's for:

1: Not rating Rose, Naughton, Lennon and Townsend
2: Not rating AVB
3: Standing up for Vert
4: Standing up for Paulinho
5: Wanting to play 4-2-3-1
6: Wanting to stamp out wing/wingback play for more central spine.

You just contradicted yourself on the Holtby thing by the way. You just pointed out using him in a more central attacking role (behind the striker as an AM) is better for his game. That is exactly what I would have him doing as part of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. he would not be in the boiler room or stuck out on the wing like he was for us.

Back
Top Bottom