Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Back onto the topic of captaincy. I would also say hugo, mainly because he is as experienced in that area as most others in the squad. Also he is one of our 2 maybe 3 world class players and generally the most consistent of them. If it wasn't him then i would rather an older player such as soldado (yes i know he often goes missing but at least he is passionate) than walker who is still only 23 going on 24 soon. I think it needs to be someone who is experienced and the others players look up to rather than a younger player who more senior players may look down on begrudgingly.
One of our greatest Captains this club has had, and certainly the greatest in my life time, is Steve Perryman. I believe he was 20 years old when made Captain. Born leaders are born leaders, no matter what age they are. As we are so far removed from the players these days it is difficult to know who is best suited. One thing I do have a reasonable degree of confidence of is Pochettino was apparently a fantastic Captain and leader. Well respected on and off the field, heres hoping he can identify the qualities, be that reafirming Daws or recognising someone who is.

Last edited:
One of our greatest Captains this club has had, and certainly the greatest in my life time, is Steve Perryman. I believe he was 20 years old when made Captain. Born leaders are born leaders, no matter what age they are. As we are so far removed from the players these days it is difficult to know who is best suited. One thing I do have a reasonable degree of confidence of is Pochettino was apparently a fantastic Captain and leader. Well respected on and off the field, heres hoping he can identify the qualities, be that reafirming Daws or recognising someone who is.
Guess who was also a league winning captain, over the likes of Colin Hendry and Alan Shearer. :sherwoodlol:

Iker Cassilas has done alright for Spain and Real occasionally. Whenever I think of a captain I think Roy Keane, centre of the park, lead by example, knowledgeable and someone you wouldn't want to argue with. Obviously that's the ideal and not many teams have that figure anymore. The Maldini/King sort of captaincy is an ideal also, loved their club, respected and both world class. Kaboul can still be a great captain, the amount of games he accumalated toward the end of the season last year gives me hope that he can keep fit for the majority of next season, great player and he's been at the club long enough to understand the Spurs ethos, and unlike Dawson I think a fully fit Kaboul walks into our team, Kaboul if fit, Lloris if not.

How many players do you see drop in performance when they are given too much to think about on the pitch... Love him but Walker is no multi-tasker :walker:

Last edited:
I think the waiting until after the window thing just means we're waiting to see if Kaboul leaves.

I'd personally like to see Hugo as captain, I really don't see a problem with a keeper as a captain. If not Hugo then Jan, Yes, last season he looked like a moody Cunt, but who in our team didn't? It was fucking shit last year.

A captain not only has to be vocal and all that other typical bollocks, but needs to lead by example, and who is better for that other than the best Keeper in the league or our best defender?

I think it has to be Hugo. The lads look like they have bonded well enough, could you imagine if Schneiderlin comes in and gets the nod, or if Fazio gets it? That could seriously damage morale, suggesting that the existing crop aren't really up to it irrespective of whether they are or not. For me it has to be Lloris.

Or he could just give it to Dier if he scores on Sunday. ;)
If Dier scores Sunday, we'll be naming the new stadium after him :dier:

Ideally I want a defender or CM to have it, but I have to go with Lloris because when you look at ability, age, experience, starting lineup prospects, respect/reputation, previous club form etc Lloris is on top hands down imo.

IMO, Hugo is the stand out candidate, for all the reasons stated already. The fact he's a goalie should make no difference - every player on the pitch should be a captain anyway.

Pretty sad that so few players stand out as captain material.

I hope by the end of this season we have three really strong candidates as that leadership on the pitch is clearly missing.

Even sadder that it's been like that for years. I mean, we're not the only ones though tbf. Look at when the scum made fibreglass their captain. Back then he was just a little mincer.

Back
Top Bottom