Capital One Cup; Home to Woolwich..

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing them say they got a result off the pitch has really cheered me up this morning, so deluded it's untrue.

They didn't get let out of the stadium until an hour and half after the match. They finally sloped into seven sisters at 11:15. No singing, no noise, just soiled knickers from a long walk.

They got smashed up all along the High Road too.

Result off the pitch ?? Ha ha ha ha!!

Don't most teams because of the level of the competition. Whichever way we like to dress it up, its a Championship competition and the PL use it an opportunity to play squad players. So was last night a full on game, a game to be taken seriously - NO. Im refusing to get sad when we do not field a full strength team and that goes into EL as well.

we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

If we want bragging rights over the Scum then we need to become better than them over a season. Finishing higher or winning more silverware. We are one down so lets refocus/regroup and move on forward.
Admirable and as restrained as your point is, there are two glaring things about your post... one, the liklihood of us finishing above them are slim, seeing as we haven't managed it once in the last few decades... so that would mean a cup run (and knocking them out in the process) would've been quite sweet...

Having said that, losing to them in a league game doesn't mean we can't finish above them by the end of the season (as they have proved time and again) but beating them in the cup, means they CAN'T win that cup...
and like last year, once we've lost to them in the cup, we can only watch on in horror as they progress through the rounds, and we know we were in a position to do summit about it right at the start... but once again have blown that chance!

I do get it and understand all the disappointment and anger, football is fuelled with emotion. Im being flippant with my comment of aiming higher. I want to be in every competition and win every competition. I just want to move on and forget yesterday. Beat City on Sat and things will look better. If we want bragging rights over the Scum then we need to become better than them over a season. Finishing higher or winning more silverware. We are one down so lets refocus/regroup and move on forward.
I've seen games this season where Aguero could've had 4 or 5 on his own considering all the sloppy backpasses, botched clearances and lazy closingdowns there have been this season, it's going to be a difficult afternoon at the Lane, and not for City.

It was a fuck up to change the complete back four & goalie. Particularly the goalie. A keeper (& the club captain at that) should not be changed just to keep his understudy happy. That's all it could have been.
Knocking that lot out of the cup would have meant a great deal to the fans & with our strongest team I genuinely think we would have done. Let's not beat about the bush here. It was a missed opportunity to kick them while they were down & send their fans into meltdown. It would have strengthened Poch's reputation, which was on the up after a couple of great results & good quality performances.
I'm pro Poch, but he got this one very wrong on every level. It's the NLD ffs. He "dared" with team selection. We didn't "do" what was necessary last night & the buck stops with the manager. They were there for the taking & we blew it. :vdvhmm:

I think what annoys me about last night most is that Woolwich were awful, worse than us and there for the taking and we didn't take take it, we let it slip.

I'd have no qualms with that.

Really, really like the look of Wimmer. Considering the omni-shambles next to him, I think he did well.

22 with Jan and Toby to learn from. Think he'll be excellent for us. He's a different type of CB to the belgians too, which is a good thing. Looked very accomplished in the air.

LOL

I'm still trying to get my head around it this morning...

Playing Woolwich... bring in 3 replacement defenders. Playing Woolwich... bring in 3 replacement defenders. Playing Woolwich... bring in 3 replacement defenders...

It's beyond stupidity. How often do we see even one change in the central defensive unit result in mixed fortunes for even the wealthiest clubs - Utd when Vidic was out, City when Kompany is out, Scum when Koscielny is out, Terry for Chelsea etc. Yet Poch thinks it's OK to swap out both CB and RB for a London Derby?

Idiot.

I'm not against squad rotation per se. (After all, what else are the squad there for? ...we've moved on from just 11 first team players + Gary Brooke and Mickey Hazard!!)

I just think the removal of our spine was naive at best, and glaringly obvious we'd be found out at some point. Surely Quarabag was the game to make wholesale changes, as IF we didn't win, at least we have more group games to put it right... with a one-off game, you're not afforded that ' luxury'!

Fazio is fast becoming the rubbish Ramon Vega, but to change an entire back 5 is asking for trouble... especially against THEM!
Plus the inclusion of Kane seems to have backfired (even though he was desperately unlucky) 'cos now all the media care about is the additional game he's gone now without scoring!

Dunno how last night's curious team decimation suddenly prepares us for Saturday... I'm pretty sure Man City won't be in the mood to lose 2 league games in a row... and as we saw last night, we're not really in the habit of 'piling on the misery' when clubs are having a wobble...
The Spurs Charity Bandwagon just keeps rolling on into a Town near you!

Oh I thought that you having no qualms for it to happen equated to something along those lines

The lines I was getting at is that, if a certain scenario happened I wouldn't see...

---------Wimmer------------Jan------------
-----------------------Toby-------------------

...as a catastrophic 3.

In the case of Dier's injury I'd prefer any combo of Mason/Bentaleb/Alli/Dembele before getting to that point. I'd much prefer keeping Jan/Toby together. But trust both Wimmer and Toby to do a fine job in that 3.

In no way was I suggesting Wimmer is near Toby's level or Toby near Dier's in their respective positions.

I think Wimmer can thrive next to a competent centre-back with good communication.

Back
Top Bottom