Best players ever!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to say I've been very lucky to see some utterly fantastic players at the lane, lucky because of when I was born. I first match in 68 as a young lad was the game that brought us maybe the most iconic picture of a Spurs great, when Dave Mackay had Billy Bremner by the neck.
I am honoured to have seen Jimmy Greaves, to put it simply the greatest goal scorer we have ever seen.
Pat Jennings, I may be biased but I can't think of a better goalkeeper I have seen.
I have had many favourites over the years, Ardilles, Ginola, Gazza etc, but Hoddle tops the list for me. I can honestly say we will never see his like again, for me the most skilful player I have ever seen. He was an artist who painted the most wonderful pictures on our fantastic old patch, yet he was underrated by many until he was gone.

Bale is the only current world class British player. I watched a showreel of his Spurs goals and they were all quality. He is up there with Hoddle and Gazza in terms of talent, although he is not so much an artist as a machine.
I think the manner in which he left is the reason Spurs fans are in two minds about him.
The only thing Bale left were glorious memories of a wonderful footballer, goals that we all dream of scoring, a man who made our club be noticed internationally, who won games almost single handedly, and thrilled us all with his skill and made us proud to support Spurs. He left us with 80 million in the bank and a profit of around 74 million.
Yeah we all have every right to exclude him from our dream teams as mark of protest, because he got pissed off waiting for Levy to agree a price. We all knew he was going so all the hyperbole at the time was meaningless.
I loved watching him in a Spurs shirt - and he played every game at full throttle. I would put him on any and every dream team of ex Spurs players.

C4_nEc9VUAAmDc9

Players I have seen that were world class in their position - Greaves, Jennings, Hoddle, Gazza, Ginola, King ..... and Maradona! Sorry can't include the likes of Klinsmann, Bale and Modric, due to the manner in which they left.

So as an aside to this thread, if you could airdrop just ONE of our previous players, at their peak, into our current squad, who would you bring in?

:gallashmm:
Jimmy Greaves, no shadow of a doubt. How many points have we dropped because we haven't got someone who is ruthless in taking chances. I love Harry but even he would admit he's not in Jimmy's class - in fact, I don't think anyone gets close to his goals to games ratio.

Last edited:
I was born in 82. I remember Italia 90 as my significant football following moment. So, a group of best Spurs players of my life time are:
Gascoigne
Ginola
Bale
Modric
Linekar
Klinsmann
Armstrong
Berbatov
Carrick
Davids (although he was over the hill with us)
Lloris
Sheringham
Waddle

I don't acknowledge King or Anderton as Spurs greats because of their injury/fitness issues.

Toby and Jan will probably be remembered as greats but generally I'm keeping the jury out on current players, with the exception of Lloris who is the best goalie I've seen in a Spurs shirt.
Not acknowledging King as a spurs great is a bold statement Vince, i think you're probably in a club of one. He played over 300 competitive matches for us.

That seems to under-rate his contribution immensely. When he played for us, he was widely considered the best player on the team, including Greaves.
I have to be honest I am too young to have seen him play live, but the archive footage of him shows he was a player of his age, good for the standards of the day but appalling by modern standards. Greaves and Mackay stood out and you can see they were different. Hoddle also stood apart from mortal players in his day. If Hoddle was active now he would be at Real Madrid and the Spaniards would be creating a new religion around him. He would have made Zidane at his best clean his boots.

Over the years we've been graced with some true greats. I personally enjoyed the flair, control and audacity of Berbatov. Sure, felt like my heart had been ripped out when I saw him at Old Trafford on deadline day but his control and vision was unreal. Bale also for different reasons, just seeing him progress and boss certain games single handedly. There were games that without his individual brilliance we would have been beat, and I mean picking the ball up outside the 18yrd box then running the length of the pitch to score on his own.

but I can never forget being at Wembley with my Dad, watching Gazza bury that free kick against the scum. The crowd went mental, my Dad looked a mixture of crazed and stunned. This memory will stay with me forever and that's what football is about and what 'none-fans' will never get.

I bloody love my club, been watching them since '83 and have been lucky enough to see some amazing players pull on the shirt. Long may it continue...

I appreciate that Gazza, Klinnsman and Bale were more impactful players but there was something so magical about Ginola who lit up many an otherwise dire Saturday afternoon in the late 90s.

From a defensive point of view King was such a rock. Harking back to Ginola era it's hard not to appreciate Carr despite the farcical career decision he made to join Newcastle.

My Dad, who only started watching properly after the double winning side, would put Greaves, Ardiles and Hoddle in there too.

I appreciate that Gazza, Klinnsman and Bale were more impactful players but there was something so magical about Ginola who lit up many an otherwise dire Saturday afternoon in the late 90s.

From a defensive point of view King was such a rock. Harking back to Ginola era it's hard not to appreciate Carr despite the farcical career decision he made to join Newcastle.

My Dad, who only started watching properly after the double winning side, would put Greaves, Ardiles and Hoddle in there too.

I can't help but feel that Ginola is probably one of the best players we've had in a lilywhite shirt - he just had the misfortune of having to play in one of the worst teams we've had.

Imagine having 1999's Ginola in this squad now.

For the teens:

My first ever visit to the Lane was 1977 (the year we got relegated) but 3 of the starters that day remain my 3 favourite Spurs players of all time - Jennings, Perryman and Hoddle! Jennings was just immense and a decent unassuming guy and is forgiven for who he left us for.......Perryman was just MR TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR and Hoddle just a genius, he scored on the first time I saw him and scored some amazing goals. Had plenty of talent to follow but they remain my top 3.

Back
Top Bottom