Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd rather see him as DM in Masons role. For Wales he played as CB in a back three which is completely different to the CB in a back-four formation. For me he's exactly the right type of player for DM, combining both defensive stability and high workrate.
Would love to see Poch trying him there (e.g. in test games in Summer).

Issue that this raises is that you're then opening up the possibility of Rose's work rate falling off. Keep Davies at LB if only to continue to motivate Rose. Though I do think Davies is a better CM option than Dier.

After rewatching the match, I came away very impressed with Davies.

Anyone see how many blocks he had? It had to be near double digits. He wasn't letting any crosses get past him.

Edit: Found it

Blocks - 8
Clearances - 12
Interceptions - 1
Crosses - 3
Chances created - 2
Passing % - 65%

Aside from the passing %. Those are pretty good numbers vs. a top team.

After rewatching the match, I came away very impressed with Davies.

Anyone see how many blocks he had? It had to be near double digits. He wasn't letting any crosses get past him.

Edit: Found it

Blocks - 8
Clearances - 12
Interceptions - 1
Crosses - 3
Chances created - 2
Passing % - 65%

I noticed his clearances stood out. Esp from corners. He was a rock.

He could well become the classic underrated player... he doesn't have his own song, he blends into the background, and could probably mingle with the fans after the game and go unrecognised...
but he can do a job.

I like that about him.

He could well become the classic underrated player... he doesn't have his own song, he blends into the background, and could probably mingle with the fans after the game and go unrecognised...
but he can do a job.

I like that about him.

Yep. We went up a notch when Jol came and we had athletes like Lee in the same position. Did the basics well and we started making progress because his shepherding technique and positioning was spot on.

Our defense has has way too many mavericks in it historically. And there has been too many risky players like Chiriches that are good on the ball and go to far playing with it out of defense.

Sometimes you just need a solid platform so the Eriksens can express themselves. Eriksen spends way too much time filling gaps for defenders maurauding forwards and it creates chaos.

Thought he has looked really good the past two games against Southampton and Norwich and we've kept cleansheets in both of the matches too. Nice to see him get an assist yesterday too for the Carroll goal.

Just think the whole defence looks much more assured (especially Vertonghen) when he plays. I think Rose is important when he plays for the pace and width he brings us in attack but if we play like we did yesterday and even at times against Southampton when Davies is playing then it's great to see we have two left backs like that.

Great problem for poch to have, rose has been excellent this season but Davies has come in and not put a foot wrong.

Wonder if we might see a Davies full back and Rose winger combination soon?

Maybe not!! I do wonder if the attributes of rose and davies could work down the left flank?

Just kidding. Seriously, I can't see it happening, though.

When you play with attacking full-backs/wing-backs like we do, you'll most often have inverted wingers, who will cut in and create space out wide for the full-back.

Lamela against Norwich?

As always it was fluid with the three 3 AMs but I would hardly say Lamela was on the left, if anything it was mostly Lamela right and Eriksen on the left, as in most matches. Semantics anyway, as my point was that we mostly play inverted wingers, so Rose isn't suited to our style, at all.

Blocks - 8
Clearances - 12
Interceptions - 1
Crosses - 3
Chances created - 2
Passing % - 65%

TBF he was pretty ambitious in his passing, as I recall it, and tried quite a few passes into congested areas.

Thought he had a good game. Also he ain't as slow as some fans want to make of him, so I'd like to see him go forward more often.

Back
Top Bottom