Bayer Leverkusen v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to their forum the match isn't a sell out because we 'are not a big club like Chelsea'.
That feeling that you get when you tell the boss your working on the numbers when your actually looking up German football forums

b3VrNv0.gif

I think the fact they can not fill a 24k arena for a champs league game says more about their size than ours.

Of course we are not that big as we are only going to get over 80k for our champs league games!

I've just had a butchers at a couple of their fan forums, and the response that a lot of their members give is precisely that - if they can't feel the stadium for a CL match, then they don't really deserve to be competing.

This LCB must be left footed and RCB must be right footed myth that has for some reason been created over the last couple of years has taken a whole life of it's own.

CB's can generally play either one.

Nesta/Cannavaro? Both right footed
Desailly/Blanc? Both right footed
Gentile/Scirea? Both right footed
Puyol/Pique? Both right footed
Baresi/Costacurta? Both right footed

Best for last...

King/Dawson - Both right footed

I don't know where this myth was created, but it's irked me for a while. Yes, there are preferred sides, but it's definitely not based on preferred foot and definitely doesn't mean they can't play the other.

It's absurd to think some would trust Vertonghen at left back before right sided centre back.

I personally think it makes sense to pick a right footed CB over a left footed on for the RCB position assuming they are fairly equal players.

You will always be trying to show attackers down the line and away from the goal and it's much easier to defend that situation on your stronger side. It's the same principal as for full backs, but admittedly to a smaller degree.

Also things like passing to your fullback are less risky from the side of your stronger foot as it's easier for the opposition to intercept if you're passing across your body.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom