AWAY TO EVERTON

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rather him than Charlie Austin......................
eh? 18 goals in 35 matches last season for the worst team in the PL not good enough for you?

always gets his shot away, and usually on target too. not a big time Charlie at all, came to football late after working on a building site, so good work ethic.

it won't happen because he's 26 so zero sell on value. On the other hand he doesnt have great place to lose with age, and because he came late to the game, he will probably be able to play well into his 30's.

I really can't see whats not to like.

Finally, when he went to Burnley, it was Eddie Howe who bought him. Probably the manager with the best record in England currently after Whinger. Good judge of player and character. Future England mgr imo.

no I didn't - but that's what you assumed I did.
I didn't assume Mick. It's in black and white.

just how long would it have taken to to have listed all of the possible permutations of pre match planning, without turning the whole thing into some meaningless epic? It was a resume of the main points, and it was based upon the structure of virtually all of our games this season.
Almost every team sets up the same every week. I don't understand what the point is in pointing out how we play, then suggesting how easy it is to simply counter this style of play? It was just a very simplistic view and to be honest offered nothing.

Now the simplest answer could be that the whole "sit back in the second half" is our plan to open them up, so we can counter attack as they stretch themselves. It could also be a simple case that everyone has to play like that - because we give them no choice.
You patronisingly attempt to put me down and state that the gaps in my argument are the wins between Newcastle and Everton, and then start fabricating history (Norwich are a good team ? Ignore the fact that Southampton overran us in the second half and that the pattern of the watford game - bar the goal, was identical to the scenario I indicated) and wonder why I tell you to fuck off?
Every team in the Premier League are capable of winning any given week, bar Aston Villa. That is a fact, and has been proven this season week after week. To suggest brushing Norwich aside was simply a formality is nonsense.

You felt you could question my opinion of the Southampton game (that I watched in full) because you read a newspaper review? Ok. Papers are known for their indisputable accuracy.

Why the big affront over the expression? I can't believe that no-one has told you to fuck off in an argument/discussion about football before.
Yet you were aggrieved by my response (as you said to Joe) because I pointed out you were completely ignoring 3 victories in between a loss and a draw, of which you've already admitted one of the games you didn't even watch?

I've been told to fuck off by teenagers in arguments about football Mick, maybe the odd drunk, and possibly Gibbs. In general though, that isn't the best opening line to encourage discussion if I'm honest mate.

Your answer and approach suggests that you have preconceived notions about me, or you would not have been so patronising without at least attempting to rebut any of the points I made. All I did was describe in general terms the pattern of most of the recent games we have played, and made the point that if I was a manager - having noticed that, they would be the main aims of dealing with things.
How does me saying "you have to ignore those results" suggest I have perceived notions about you? I think you're paranoid if that's the case. Or overly sensitive.

Yes, your tactics were to 'mark the striker' Mick. You're not exactly rewriting the laws of football with that sort of insight.

Hence my point about the need for a creative midfielder. you came up with eriksen, which makes me doubt whether you have either full vision or faculties, because evidence of creativity from the guy has been in painful short supply this season to date.
No it hasn't. His assists suggests otherwise, but also just the chances he creates in general. His vision for a pass is superb and, more often than not, it's the recipient of the pass that prevents Eriksen getting far more assists than he does already.

Then again we've already established you watch games in the newspaper so it's a bit rich for you to suggest to me I don't have 'full vision'.

Try not to be so precious, or condescending and maybe you will get a decent conversation out of me. Rather than simply shitting what I had to say, why not think about the pattern of the games we have played, and bar a few exceptions, most of them have fallen into an all to similar rut.
No they haven't. That simply isn't true. Some have, but far from most.

But of all things - don't take me for a sammy who just wants to slate the players, pick my favourites, or think I am better than the manager and know more - because I know for a fact that I don't, or he would be the sales manager of my company and I would be picking the next first 11.
We've always got on alright Mick, I don't have any preconceptions about you, nor do I judge you on arguments you've had this others.

we are two quality players short of league champions, because of the fantastic team spirit, ethic, attitude and skill set of the squad, and because we have a damn fine manager.
Agree, though I think we could get CL without 2 world class additions, dependant on injuries.

You've admitted to not having watched Southampton, for all I know that's the only game you haven't seen this season - or maybe you haven't seen any - who knows...but given you were trying to point out the pattern of our play is almost identical every game this season yet you're using newspaper reviews to confirm this kind of rips the whole argument apart. I can count the number of games this season where we've faded drastically at the end on one hand, yet we've played 20+ games. Watch us Mick. It's honestly not that black and white. We've been superb (as you've said yourself), and you don't get the kind of results we've got without being able to change our style and patterns of play. Toby's long balls to Alli are a perfect example of something very much against the general ethic and style of the team.

To Austins credit, he has proved that he can score in the top flight, and that was when he was supported by a pretty awful QPR team. He would be worth having just to give Kane some down time
Exactly, would have been nice to have had Austin on the bench against Everton to bring on instead of Chadli..

I didn't assume Mick. It's in black and white.

Almost every team sets up the same every week. I don't understand what the point is in pointing out how we play, then suggesting how easy it is to simply counter this style of play? It was just a very simplistic view and to be honest offered nothing.

Every team in the Premier League are capable of winning any given week, bar Aston Villa. That is a fact, and has been proven this season week after week. To suggest brushing Norwich aside was simply a formality is nonsense.

You felt you could question my opinion of the Southampton game (that I watched in full) because you read a newspaper review? Ok. Papers are known for their indisputable accuracy.

Yet you were aggrieved by my response (as you said to Joe) because I pointed out you were completely ignoring 3 victories in between a loss and a draw, of which you've already admitted one of the games you didn't even watch?

I've been told to fuck off by teenagers in arguments about football Mick, maybe the odd drunk, and possibly Gibbs. In general though, that isn't the best opening line to encourage discussion if I'm honest mate.

How does me saying "you have to ignore those results" suggest I have perceived notions about you? I think you're paranoid if that's the case. Or overly sensitive.

Yes, your tactics were to 'mark the striker' Mick. You're not exactly rewriting the laws of football with that sort of insight.

No it hasn't. His assists suggests otherwise, but also just the chances he creates in general. His vision for a pass is superb and, more often than not, it's the recipient of the pass that prevents Eriksen getting far more assists than he does already.

Then again we've already established you watch games in the newspaper so it's a bit rich for you to suggest to me I don't have 'full vision'.

No they haven't. That simply isn't true. Some have, but far from most.

We've always got on alright Mick, I don't have any preconceptions about you, nor do I judge you on arguments you've had this others.

Agree, though I think we could get CL without 2 world class additions, dependant on injuries.

You've admitted to not having watched Southampton, for all I know that's the only game you haven't seen this season - or maybe you haven't seen any - who knows...but given you were trying to point out the pattern of our play is almost identical every game this season yet you're using newspaper reviews to confirm this kind of rips the whole argument apart. I can count the number of games this season where we've faded drastically at the end on one hand, yet we've played 20+ games. Watch us Mick. It's honestly not that black and white. We've been superb (as you've said yourself), and you don't get the kind of results we've got without being able to change our style and patterns of play. Toby's long balls to Alli are a perfect example of something very much against the general ethic and style of the team.
You really are a patronising arse - aren't you?

I've been watching "us" for a long time thanks and I really don't need a holier than thou chump like you to tell me to do so.
Unlike you - I really don't have the time or inclination to sit and dissect everything you have said - as the majority of it underlines the fact that you didn't read what I said, or seem understand it. You simply wanted to hobbyhorse your self proclaimed footballing intellect. If you can only count the number of games where we have faded in the second half this season on one hand - then you really are blind, unable to comprehend the game - or only have one hand.
Eriksen does indeed possess the gift of a talented playmeaker, has some sublime skills and can pick a pass. He also takes a mean free kick - but sadly, this season very little of this ability has been made evident in the games I have seen.
If your entire rebuttal of the general points I made hinges around the fact that I based what happened in the Southampton game on edited highlights and newspaper and online reports - then my question would be why the hell do I have to accept your version of events, who pays you to write accurate and insightful resumes of professional football?
So do me a favour, learn the meaning of humility and then I might bother to have a discussion with you. Until then - you can fuck off.
(sober, not a teenager and intolerant of people like you.)

You really are a patronising arse - aren't you?

I've been watching "us" for a long time thanks and I really don't need a holier than thou chump like you to tell me to do so.
Unlike you - I really don't have the time or inclination to sit and dissect everything you have said - as the majority of it underlines the fact that you didn't read what I said, or seem understand it. You simply wanted to hobbyhorse your self proclaimed footballing intellect. If you can only count the number of games where we have faded in the second half this season on one hand - then you really are blind, unable to comprehend the game - or only have one hand.
Eriksen does indeed possess the gift of a talented playmeaker, has some sublime skills and can pick a pass. He also takes a mean free kick - but sadly, this season very little of this ability has been made evident in the games I have seen.
If your entire rebuttal of the general points I made hinges around the fact that I based what happened in the Southampton game on edited highlights and newspaper and online reports - then my question would be why the hell do I have to accept your version of events, who pays you to write accurate and insightful resumes of professional football?
So do me a favour, learn the meaning of humility and then I might bother to have a discussion with you. Until then - you can fuck off.
(sober, not a teenager and intolerant of people like you.)
Lets move on

As solid as we are in defence, I think we're definitely still lacking in attack. We're not creating enough chances inside the box imo, which is something that needs working

Maybe, maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised As Poch has a particular idea of how he wants us to play, if Austin doesn't fit that then he would be no different than playing Son or Chadli up front probably in Poch's mind.

I think this is the first time as a Spurs fan I actually trust the players being brought in. Alli, Toby, Wimmer etc all kind of fit the way we want to play which is nice. I suppose the negative of that is that we limit who we sign, I mean the desperation to get Berahino is probably a symptom.

Come on lads, I know I'm better at starting fights than stopping them, but this is a bit silly. I will understand if you tell me to fuck off. Time to :dierpochhug:.
Not at all Joe. We had completely differing opinions - I suggested we leave it and move on as we clearly weren't going to agree. He told me to fuck off twice and suggested I don't like him for some reason. I assume he's lost count of his arguments and confused me for someone else.

I shant be losing any sleep over it.

Not at all Joe. We had completely differing opinions - I suggested we leave it and move on as we clearly weren't going to agree. He told me to fuck off twice and suggested I don't like him for some reason. I assume he's lost count of his arguments and confused me for someone else.

I shant be losing any sleep over it.
yet again - wrong! I have never said that I imagined that you didn't like me.
Your attempt at patronising my post reeked of situating an appreciation rather than appreciating the situation.
Your subsequent comments denying there ever being evidence of a tail off in performance apart from the two recent ones (WTF happened against Stoke then?) and then trying to persuade me that Eriksen has been some creative genius this season belie your denigration of the points I made.
I haven't confused you for anyone - I have worked out your individual value well enough.

oh and do me a favour will you - fuck off again, there's a good chap.
And when you get there (as the joke goes) - fuck off again, and keep fucking off until you get back here.
And then fuck off again.

:)

yet again - wrong! I have never said that I imagined that you didn't like me.
Your attempt at patronising my post reeked of situating an appreciation rather than appreciating the situation.
Your subsequent comments denying there ever being evidence of a tail off in performance apart from the two recent ones (WTF happened against Stoke then?) and then trying to persuade me that Eriksen has been some creative genius this season belie your denigration of the points I made.
I haven't confused you for anyone - I have worked out your individual value well enough.

oh and do me a favour will you - fuck off again, there's a good chap.
And when you get there (as the joke goes) - fuck off again, and keep fucking off until you get back here.
And then fuck off again.

:)
Grow up Mick

Grow up Mick
More unsolicited and unnecessary advice from someone bereft of any contribution of value.
Or the moral courage or humility to accept when they are wrong, both in attitude and argument.
I'm confident that I'm not the one in need of maturity or development. But I am happy to put this to bed, I have nothing else to add that I haven't already said.

Back
Top Bottom