AWAY TO EVERTON

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me looking at the squad to get rid I would say.

Sell

Fazio: nothing against him just not good enough on the deck, we have Wimmer and hopefully soon Carter-Vickers so sell.

Townsend: Spurs boy through and through but not suited to us not IMO good enough. For his sake and our it's time to move on, I hope he has a good career but it probably won't be here.

Maybe's - don't mind if they stay but wouldn't be against a sale if it were to fund for better players.

Chadli: scores goals but as pointed out by Benny Benny is not the type of player for a pressing system, if we get stronger in the AM area I feel his days maybe numbered.

Carroll: I know he played and played well for much of the game yesterday but his defensive work in the centre just doesn't seem enough for me, any time we are on the back foot Dier looks all by himself. Perhaps if he were to compete with Eriksen's position he might be more suitable but both our CM's need to be good defensively.

To be fair only 2 sale and 2 Maybe's for me that's about the best we have been for years. The lack of so called deadwood is really good for the squad.

1. Mark a good striker...such a tactical revelation...well I never :kanehand:
2. You think Martinez, who's such a football purists, that he thinks set pieces aren't real football and should count for half a goal, devised this scheme? Nothing to do with us pushing them back then?:pocheyes:
3. Another insight never, ever used to teams under the cosh:vertna:
4. Playing in such a way for a full 45 minutes, that you should be behind by at least 2 or 3, and then sneakily pushing up in the second half, tell me more :sonhmm: Adjusting (to better) tactics and rallying your team at halftime, couldn't have played a part? :llorisserious:
5. Not possible. Carroll is a monster of a man, Eriksen is faster than the Road Runner, and Dembele is, well Dembele :dembelewtf:
6. Someone has once stated that it's our aim to push opposing attacks wide. Come to think of it, I think it's this guy :pochbye:
I'm not trying to make myself out to be some kind of footballing know all (something you clearly believe yourself to be) but pointing out the things that have been obvious to see in a large amount of our games.

Maybe I just got lucky at spotting patterns. Maybe it's just all a huge co-incidence.

Maybe you're just a patronising SOB

No you have to forget those otherwise his point has no relevance.
see my comment about the Watford game - which went to an almost identical pattern. As did the Southampton game, but for the fact that we actually scored a couple in the aggressive and dominant phase. Norwich just don't have the skillset to beat us no matter how we play.

And I'm not denigrating anyone in my post - just pointing out what I believe would go through most managers minds when looking at the way our club goes about its business with the team it has at its disposal.
There was no implied criticism of the team or the manager, and no complaints from me - apart from the need to get quality recruits in, if we want to guarantee the top 4 finish, or heaven forbid - win the league.

For me looking at the squad to get rid I would say.

Sell

Fazio: nothing against him just not good enough on the deck, we have Wimmer and hopefully soon Carter-Vickers so sell.

Townsend: Spurs boy through and through but not suited to us not IMO good enough. For his sake and our it's time to move on, I hope he has a good career but it probably won't be here.

Maybe's - don't mind if they stay but wouldn't be against a sale if it were to fund for better players.

Chadli: scores goals but as pointed out by Benny Benny is not the type of player for a pressing system, if we get stronger in the AM area I feel his days maybe numbered.

Carroll: I know he played and played well for much of the game yesterday but his defensive work in the centre just doesn't seem enough for me, any time we are on the back foot Dier looks all by himself. Perhaps if he were to compete with Eriksen's position he might be more suitable but both our CM's need to be good defensively.

To be fair only 2 sale and 2 Maybe's for me that's about the best we have been for years. The lack of so called deadwood is really good for the squad.
I'd like Pochettino to actually do some coaching with Townsend to improve him, rather than just chuck him in the reserves.

He has all the ability to be a success in our system, but needs some guidance with regards to decision making etc.

I'd like Pochettino to actually do some coaching with Townsend to improve him, rather than just chuck him in the reserves.

He has all the ability to be a success in our system, but needs some guidance with regards to decision making etc.
I think he probably has worked very hard with him. The lad is an England international & it makes no sense to throw him into the reserves for no reason. Andros has obviously shit the bed as far as Poch is concerned. And as sad as it makes me because he is Spurs through & through, I just don't think he will make it in Poch's eyes. A move may be the making of him & I wish him well.

I think he probably has worked very hard with him. The lad is an England international & it makes no sense to throw him into the reserves for no reason. Andros has obviously shit the bed as far as Poch is concerned. And as sad as it makes me because he is Spurs through & through, I just don't think he will make it in Poch's eyes. A move may be the making of him & I wish him well.
unless he scores against us and then he will be the spawn of satan and was total dogshit who got lucky
:)

i liked Davies yesterday, even a fresh Deulofeu couldn't abuse him. For the tougher games away we should play him instead of Rose (wish a like a lot)
i think rose would have been a bit of a defensive liability yesterday. but probably better going foward as usual.

Changing my mind a bit about Davies as he had a good game yesterday and was very unlucky not to score!

I think Poch has tried to coach Townsend but has now given up on him and will unload this month or the Summer but yes I agree in that I wish him well!

Chadli remains an enigma in that he seems to have it all, strong, athletic and can score a few but I have doubts about his desire!

Fazio probably 3rd choice as centre back.

oh fuck you.
read what I said instead of simply shitting it because it was me that said it
If you think I base my posts on who said it rather than the content, I won't bother taking this point further.

see my comment about the Watford game - which went to an almost identical pattern. As did the Southampton game, but for the fact that we actually scored a couple in the aggressive and dominant phase. Norwich just don't have the skillset to beat us no matter how we play.

And I'm not denigrating anyone in my post - just pointing out what I believe would go through most managers minds when looking at the way our club goes about its business with the team it has at its disposal.
There was no implied criticism of the team or the manager, and no complaints from me - apart from the need to get quality recruits in, if we want to guarantee the top 4 finish, or heaven forbid - win the league.
Mick, you are pointing things out as if it's as easy as saying "mark him", "they play like that", "we should have lost against them"

You're dumbing football down, as if teams can simply watch a few of our games and counter everything we do. Not once do you point out we do the same to the opposition.

Norwich do have the skill set. We were just much better than them on the day. Southampton as well. Watford we got a stroke of luck but you need that sometimes.

We can discuss the matter, or you can tell me to fuck off again despite us not having any history despite you seemingly alluding to a previous run in.

If you think I base my posts on who said it rather than the content, I won't bother taking this point further.

Mick, you are pointing things out as if it's as easy as saying "mark him", "they play like that", "we should have lost against them"

You're dumbing football down, as if teams can simply watch a few of our games and counter everything we do. Not once do you point out we do the same to the opposition.

Norwich do have the skill set. We were just much better than them on the day. Southampton as well. Watford we got a stroke of luck but you need that sometimes.

We can discuss the matter, or you can tell me to fuck off again despite us not having any history despite you seemingly alluding to a previous run in.
no I didn't - but that's what you assumed I did.
just how long would it have taken to to have listed all of the possible permutations of pre match planning, without turning the whole thing into some meaningless epic? It was a resume of the main points, and it was based upon the structure of virtually all of our games this season.

Now the simplest answer could be that the whole "sit back in the second half" is our plan to open them up, so we can counter attack as they stretch themselves. It could also be a simple case that everyone has to play like that - because we give them no choice.
You patronisingly attempt to put me down and state that the gaps in my argument are the wins between Newcastle and Everton, and then start fabricating history (Norwich are a good team ? Ignore the fact that Southampton overran us in the second half and that the pattern of the watford game - bar the goal, was identical to the scenario I indicated) and wonder why I tell you to fuck off?

Why the big affront over the expression? I can't believe that no-one has told you to fuck off in an argument/discussion about football before.

Your answer and approach suggests that you have preconceived notions about me, or you would not have been so patronising without at least attempting to rebut any of the points I made. All I did was describe in general terms the pattern of most of the recent games we have played, and made the point that if I was a manager - having noticed that, they would be the main aims of dealing with things.

I am fully aware that it is nigh on impossible to choreograph the pattern of a football match - unless the gulf between the teams is so great that one side is incapable of seizing any opportunities, but it is entirely possible to set your team up in defensive banks and make it damn near impossible to break down, and therefore allow the opposition to tire themselves out trying to batter their way through.
Hence my point about the need for a creative midfielder. you came up with eriksen, which makes me doubt whether you have either full vision or faculties, because evidence of creativity from the guy has been in painful short supply this season to date.

Try not to be so precious, or condescending and maybe you will get a decent conversation out of me. Rather than simply shitting what I had to say, why not think about the pattern of the games we have played, and bar a few exceptions, most of them have fallen into an all to similar rut.

But of all things - don't take me for a sammy who just wants to slate the players, pick my favourites, or think I am better than the manager and know more - because I know for a fact that I don't, or he would be the sales manager of my company and I would be picking the next first 11.

we are two quality players short of league champions, because of the fantastic team spirit, ethic, attitude and skill set of the squad, and because we have a damn fine manager.

But we can be out muscled and out manoeuvred by lesser teams that are well drilled an organised, that get lucky (our two losses) or just don't quit trying (Stoke, leicester, Woolwich etc). The fact that no team has left us chasing shadows and that we have probably only ceded the majority of possession on a couple of occasions is testament to how good we are.

Not my fight, but that didn't happen.
I only had newspaper reports and on line reviews to go by. If it didn't happen that way I am completely happy to concede the point.
Fundamentally the rest of it still works, because I didn't say every match and that it was a general observation.
It has also been discussed many times on here.

Its not meant to be anyone's fight Joe - it was meant to be a point for discussion, I was just aggrieved by the manner of the response. I can live with being put right.

I only had newspaper reports and on line reviews to go by. If it didn't happen that way I am completely happy to concede the point.
Fundamentally the rest of it still works, because I didn't say every match and that it was a general observation.
It has also been discussed many times on here.

Its not meant to be anyone's fight Joe - it was meant to be a point for discussion, I was just aggrieved by the manner of the response. I can live with being put right.
Just a figure of speech. I should have said discussion.

Back
Top Bottom