Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If it clicks being the most important part of this. I'm still sceptical we will see our players working hard enough to make it all work.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LdVfm_hT3U

I think we will obviously have ups and downs, but a lot of the fans will probably ignore bad results because the football is more enjoyable, the reverse of this has been the past couple of managers.
Will he be able to be successful with it is the key, I don't see us being so personally, but if he can get them playing consistently well, then they could excite a few.
I think we might get undone quite a bit defensively, and I don't see him getting the backing he would need to take the club up a level.

This isn’t meant to insult anyone but someone please tell me why and how the PL is so special and different to all other leagues?

Apart from the money, better players, overall higher standard what makes it fundamentally different from any other league in the world?

I’m genuinely curious 👍
As you’ve been told you’ve answered your own question but the EPL is probably the only league in Europe where’s there actually challenge, yes I know Man City look as they dominate but at the start of a season you‘ve the possibility of at least 4,5 teams in with a shout of winning the league with the exception of Italy every other league your league winner is basically one or two teams Spain, Germany, France (1team) Portugal, Netherlands………..

scotland 🤪
it’s the best league in Europe

As you’ve been told you’ve answered your own question but the EPL is probably the only league in Europe where’s there actually challenge, yes I know Man City look as they dominate but at the start of a season you‘ve the possibility of at least 4,5 teams in with a shout of winning the league with the exception of Italy every other league your league winner is basically one or two teams Spain, Germany, France (1team) Portugal, Netherlands………..

scotland 🤪
Fair point 👍

scotland 🤪
I think this is a case of perception more than reality though, based around the idea of the traditional top 6.

The reality now (and at least for the past 5 years) is that any given season there are 1-2 clubs who have a genuine, believable shot at the title, followed by another 4-6 fighting it out for Europe, then the midtable bunch and the relegation candidates.

Man Utd for instance have had very little chance of actually challenging for the title for 10 years. Outside of their challenge last season, Woolwich haven't come close. Chelsea have won 2 in the past 10 years, both before Man City became what they are today. But they're currently miles off it. Liverpool, so often City's only proper competition, have won 1.

So it's really just not very competitive at all. Maybe when Pep leaves the gap will be bridged, however given the money advantage, even that's questionable.

Newcastle, given their new petrodollar overlords, will go closer this year. Woolwich will also be better, but it's hard to see past City... again... which is so fucking boring.

Spurs may well become one of the more popular teams for all fans to watch. A really top CB is still needed and (obviously) a Kane replacement but it was a really entertaining match against Brentford which Spurs deserved to win. I'd call that progress.

I'd guess 5th, 6th or 7th for Spurs this year.

scotland 🤪
Well, of all the leagues in Europe that's one of them.

Is that his worst moment, how do we know ? But an indication of what he's capable of. It is no benchmark that there will be plenty that like him. Its just a sad example of the standards in society.

Utter bollocks..... It's not a reflection on anyone but him.

Not more twitter hipsters

I don't think they're hipsters; they're just fanboys off their tits on Kool-aid..........

Some of it reads like the parody shit people were posting on fake Goon accounts over the last couple of years..........

Last edited:

scotland 🤪
Italy is the most competitive league in terms of there’s about 6 teams that could win it. In England at this moment there is one,Spain have 2,Germany have 2,France have 1.
I don’t get the EPL is the best league in the world either. It never interested Messi,Neymar or Mbappe.
I love watching EPL games when Tottenham aren’t involved but I also enjoy Italian and Spanish football just as much. I see more technical ability in Spanish football but the EPL is classed as the best.

Yeah mate, Klopp, Guardiola or Poch couldn’t instill their systems in less than one season, but mighty Ange did it in one match.
He said himself after the match that the players were going to take time to learn how he wants them to play. He's constant and consistent in his messages to them and weill get them up to speed pretty quickly but he's also a realist that knows it doesn't happen overnight.

To me the only real difference in the PL is the quality tactically of the TOP level of managers you'll face and that's gradually improved in recent years as well. Prior to that you still a fair number of dinosaurs that hadn't evolved with the game but they've gradually been found out as well. Big Sam saying he was as good as any manager in the league late last season was a personal favourite 😂

I laugh when people say, it's the PL and managers will just hit us on the break out wide and we'll concede bags of goals with his approach etc. Do you really think he's reached this level managing this style of football and no manager has tried to do that before?? You think he's that naive??

The quality of the leagues is typically dictated by the quality of player able to execute the plan the manager wants. Playing their way out of a tight space, hitting the pass that releases a man forward into space etc etc and that's relative to the league they're in so I don't buy into the "but it's the premier league" as if it is so far above anything else it's ridiculous. Football is football, the philosophies are similare in most places and typically good managers are good managers because they know the game well, are better tactically and, most importantly, are able to get their players to WANT to play for them.

People pointing to Celtics results in the CL as a pointer that he's now out of his depth are laughable given the gulf in quality of players between the two teams. Same with the Aussie national team made up of our domestic (sub par) players and a sprinkling of better players against world teams stacked with top quality European players who earn more individually than our entire squad and neither of those sides were easybeats at all which I think is testament to his ability to get the best out of what he has, the measure of a quality manager/coach.

Ange has proven himself at every level to date and has shown that he can improve and motivate players of all ability levels and will no doubt do the same here so the only thing to see is how he can stack up against the likes of Pep and co who are the quality tactical managers. I think talk of winning the league this season is complete folly but he'll certainly acquit himself well against them and will make Spurs an exciting team to watch while doing it, time will tell.

hes got no choice but to play richarlison and son was the safe option. hell realise the son captaincy was a mistake, probably already has.

he made the logical subs the other day. i cant remember the last time a manager done that. so thats a positive sign that hes not going to care about hierarchy and hes going to just do whats right for the team/club.

And how do you come to that conclusion? Do you know Son personally? How do you know that he won't be a great captain?

Do tell.

And how do you come to that conclusion? Do you know Son personally? How do you know that he won't be a great captain?

Do tell.
because hes not a leader? are you a simpleton? come back to it in 6 months and see if it was a good choice. he shouldnt even be starting games let alone captain. its another 'spursy' gesture. what sort of leader is scared of heading the ball and getting into duals??? none!

Back
Top Bottom