Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm glad you're happy with the shit show that is coming.
Give me a shout when it* dawns on you.

*It being the fact we're not as good as people thing we are.

Let's be honest... You're wrong about virtually everything; so if you have called this one correctly, it's only through luck and would be nothing to crow about.

I'm glad you're happy with the shit show that is coming.
Give me a shout when it* dawns on you.

*It being the fact we're not as good as people thing we are.
No side to this but what do you want? Sacked now? Change tactics? Lets be honest here he isnt going to get sacked even if we lose our last 6.

You dont have to think he's the messiah to think he deserves next season and i hope we get him some better players. My hunch is he's a decent coach, but has a limit, a bit like Jol but we dont know yet. We should know more around November next season.

Asked whether he is the most tactically aware coach he has worked with, Dier said: "No, interestingly, he really doesn't do any tactical work (in training).

"What he does is, every single training drill from Monday to Friday is drawn up to represent the way that he wants to play.

"[Antonio] Conte, I could do it blind, but that was a lot of tactical work Monday to Friday, a lot of ten versus zero, walkthroughs. You were so well drilled, it would be ingrained in you."

Dier's comments have baffled Postecoglou, as he reponded by saying: "I don't know what you mean by tactical work.

"Everything we do is geared on how we are going to play our football, so for me by extension is tactical work.

"Whether that's on us, or whether it's on the opposition. In fact I would probably say we don't do anything apart from tactical work.

"That's all we do every day. If we're working on our fitness, we're still trying to play our football.

"But I haven't seen the interview so I'm not sure what he's referencing.

"If you're talking about do we do training where we're standing around and working on how we're going to stop an opposition, how we're going to break down (an opposition) no we don't do that."
"But I don't think that's the only kind of tactical work that exists. I think anyone who trains with us will tell you that all we do is train the way we play.

"Maybe that's not tactical work, I don't know!"

Just a thought though about the bolded...maybe we should start doing that? Just an idea?

I feel like learning how to stop an opposition and how to break down an opposition is pretty integral to winning football matches is it not?

Asked whether he is the most tactically aware coach he has worked with, Dier said: "No, interestingly, he really doesn't do any tactical work (in training).

"What he does is, every single training drill from Monday to Friday is drawn up to represent the way that he wants to play.

"[Antonio] Conte, I could do it blind, but that was a lot of tactical work Monday to Friday, a lot of ten versus zero, walkthroughs. You were so well drilled, it would be ingrained in you."

Dier's comments have baffled Postecoglou, as he reponded by saying: "I don't know what you mean by tactical work.

"Everything we do is geared on how we are going to play our football, so for me by extension is tactical work.

"Whether that's on us, or whether it's on the opposition. In fact I would probably say we don't do anything apart from tactical work.

"That's all we do every day. If we're working on our fitness, we're still trying to play our football.

"If you're talking about do we do training where we're standing around and working on how we're going to stop an opposition, how we're going to break down (an opposition) no we don't do that."
"But I don't think that's the only kind of tactical work that exists. I think anyone who trains with us will tell you that all we do is train the way we play.

Just a thought though about the bolded...maybe we should start doing that? Just an idea?

I feel like learning how to stop an opposition and how to break down an opposition is pretty integral to winning football matches is it not?

He's saying that they don't do that by standing around talking about it.

They work on it by actually doing it on the pitch in a live situation that is a much better representation of what a game will be like.

I am going to ask this because I was listening to the VFL podcast and was blown away by how stupid some of the assumptions about coaching were.

Considering this has been shared here, let's get this question out the way:

Does ANYONE seriously believe Ange and his team don't scout their opponents and make adjustments in their game preparation from game to game dependant on the opposition?

Like seriously, do any of you really think we just do the same thing every day in training and refuse to adapt to the opposition every week because that is "Ange Ball"?

If you do think that, have a word with yourself because you have got caught by a narrative.

Think the keyword here is "standing"..

No need for that, and I prefer playing the sequences 10 of 10 times

Think the keyword here is "standing"..

No need for that, and I prefer playing the sequences 10 of 10 times

Thing is, Eric Dier has confused 11v0 shape work for the only way to do tactical work.

The fact that Ange sounds like he does it 5v5, 7v7 or 11v11 in training doesn't mean it isn't tactical work. There is some pretty strong developing science around games-based coaching and perception-action-coupling (there is the wankiest thing I've ever typed on TFC and that's saying something). 11v0 stand still shape work is the realm of the dinosaurs these days but also probably very likely what you would expect from old skoolers like Conte, Jose, and probably Poch too tbh.

They work on it by actually doing it on the pitch in a live situation that is a much better representation of what a game will be like.

I am going to ask this because I was listening to the VFL podcast and was blown away by how stupid some of the assumptions about coaching were.

This is not far removed from the people whinging about Mason & Jedinak every week as if they dictate the coaching agenda and that everything they do isn't a trickle-down from Ange.

It can't be over-estimated how few people actually know what they're talking about.... Yet it doesn't stop them from mouthing off on such subjects.

Last edited:
This is not far removed from the people whinging about Mason & Jedinak every week as if they dictate the coaching agenda and that everything they do isn't a trickle-down from Ange.

It can't be over-estimated how few people actually know what they're talking about.... Yet it doesn't stop them from mouthing off on the subject.

In fairness, we all do it.

but the stuff that is part of the mainstream debate about the way we play and our attitude being arrogant or whatever... It's just self-destructive and ignorant.

Considering this has been shared here, let's get this question out the way:

Does ANYONE seriously believe Ange and his team don't scout their opponents and make adjustments in their game preparation from game to game dependant on the opposition?

Like seriously, do any of you really think we just do the same thing every day in training and refuse to adapt to the opposition every week because that is "Ange Ball"?

If you do think that, have a word with yourself because you have got caught by a narrative.

In regards to the bolded, if they do, they're doing a pretty bad job of it currently aren't they?

Literally have Ange on record saying he only knows how to play one way so it's not a stretch to suggest that his overall philosophy is more important than tactical tweaking based on how the opposition plays.

Not being funny but everyone and their mum knows how these teams will setup against us at the moment, especially mid/lower table teams and yet we keep throwing the same system and players at it, infuriating to watch as it clearly isn't working anymore and the Newcastle game was a prime example of poor in-game management and tactical tweaking.

At the start of the season when teams took us for granted and likely weren't expecting us to adapt to the new style of play so quickly it was easier but now teams know what to expect and that is being shown in the amount of goals we are conceding and the lack of quality chances we are getting.

There is a lot of cultish behaviour around Ange and a lot of hand waving which I don't think is helpful.

Now, I am by no means someone who wants him gone, I actually think we have a lot of potential under him but I also believe that his ego is writing cheques that his body can't cash sometimes and he needs to take an honest step back and look at what is going wrong and try and fix it rather than just constantly trying to double down on what isn't working.

Sour grapes from Eric?

Not at all. I watched the interview last week and he doesn’t mean it negatively at all. As soon as I saw it I thought, oh dear that will be used against the manager. When in fact he uses it as a compliment compared to Conte’s robotic approach on the training pitch. There’s no underhand tone, the complete opposite of anything. He said he enjoyed the 6 months under Ange apart from not playing!

Worth watching the whole interview if you have a spare 20 minutes. It’s pretty good.

In regards to the bolded, if they do, they're doing a pretty bad job of it currently aren't they?

Literally have Ange on record saying he only knows how to play one way so it's not a stretch to suggest that his overall philosophy is more important than tactical tweaking based on how the opposition plays.

Not being funny but everyone and their mum knows how these teams will setup against us at the moment, especially mid/lower table teams and yet we keep throwing the same system and players at it, infuriating to watch as it clearly isn't working anymore and the Newcastle game was a prime example of poor in-game management and tactical tweaking.

At the start of the season when teams took us for granted and likely weren't expecting us to adapt to the new style of play so quickly it was easier but now teams know what to expect and that is being shown in the amount of goals we are conceding and the lack of quality chances we are getting.

There is a lot of cultish behaviour around Ange and a lot of hand waving which I don't think is helpful.

Now, I am by no means someone who wants him gone, I actually think we have a lot of potential under him but I also believe that his ego is writing cheques that his body can't cash sometimes and he needs to take an honest step back and look at what is going wrong and try and fix it rather than just constantly trying to double down on what isn't working.

They did a bad job of it against Newcastle that is for fucking sure. they also did a bad job of it against Fulham and Wolves twice. That doesn't mean the preparation for all games is bad or that the underlying coaching philosophy is wrong.

If you want robots like Conte does where the tactics are programmed for every game and players need to strictly follow the plan from god (the coach) then you can get decent short-term results.

If you want to play in a way where your players can recognize the challenges from their opponents themselves and then make adjustments on the fly, that takes time and is messy. We have seen that mess on more than one occasion.... The good thing about being patient and taking your time to really learn the way you play, is that once the players can adjust on the fly, it doesn't matter how your opponent tries to play against you, the players will have answers. That's what you see with City now. Even if Pep comes across like someone who also likes to programme the odd robot.

Not at all. I watched the interview last week and he doesn’t mean it negatively at all. As soon as I saw it I thought, oh dear that will be used against the manager. When in fact he uses it as a compliment compared to Conte’s robotic approach on the training pitch.
I don't think he meant it as a compliment or an insult, Dier was simply saying that under Conte the system was drilled in more.

For the first season it worked because there was a time under Conte that we played some fantastic stuff both defensively and going forward, the wheels fell off because imo, it was overly robotic and players get fed up of playing under such a strict system when they aren't winning trophies.

It's ok for Pep when he does it because he has the resources to produce trophies.

Back
Top Bottom