Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whilst the buck stops with Ange, there is no doubt that the form sheet in 2024 has plateaued/taken a dip.

There are a number of variables though, and personally, I think the biggest glaring issue is that the squad (that's match fit) has reached its limits under the system.

What I mean is, Ange's system requires variety and options as does any in modern football:
1. At Celtic he had Furuhashi in a Son kind of role, but also had Giakoumakis who was more of a traditional 9 who could hold up the ball and be an aerial threat on corners/crosses into the box. Richy was carried by the team early into the season but then post-op went on a run of goals. Now he's struggling for fitness again. We can't rely on that moving forward.

2. Callum McGregor was key to Postecoglu's system, a sort of hybrid 6/8. I don't think we currently have that profile of player. We have 6's like Hojberg or 8's like Bissouma/Lolo but not someone whose a creative/DM like a Paulinha, which is one of the reasons the MF is getting overrun and when PEH is put in there as a 6, the links between defense and attack are too stagnant.

3. Maddison needs competition. He's not in any fear of his place at the moment. Not sure what Lo Celso has been doing in training, but a lot of people have short memories about how non-existent he had been prior to this year. I think GLC should be sold and hopefully Bergvall is given lots of opportunity next season to challenge Madders for his place.

4. On the wings you have options of Son/Werner/Richy/Soloman on the left and Johnson/Kulu on the right and some variations if they invert. The issue with this group of wingers is their 1v1 capabilities. It's virtually non-existent with the exception of Soloman who has been out for half the season and we don't know how affective he will be as his sample size is small. There needs to be a focus on un-earthing 1-2 1v1 wingers for each side so that there can be more balance. At Celtic Ange had Maeda who was a speed merchant doing a lot of the defensive work from the front/tracking back, whilst he had Jota doing the 1v1/skinning his man.

Anyway those are generally my thoughts.

The squad is imbalanced and Ange's tactics and the limitations of the squad are currently locking horns.

You will not find a bigger backer of Ange than me, and to be honest I find it hard to even be critical of him in the slightest because I've seen in his career he always ends up being right, however:

View: https://twitter.com/WindyCOYS/status/1784583671090958558

This quote worries me, more than likely this is just what he is saying in the media but they're working on it privately but this level of stubbornness on this issue is unnerving. This isn't about style of play. I see set-pieces almost as mini-games within a game of football, with a different tool set required to win and we are getting beaten badly consistently. He says he's never had a set-piece coach before, yeah that's because in Australia you're working on a shoestring budget and training in parks, you've now got the funds and facilities you've always dreamed of - use it!

You will not find a bigger backer of Ange than me, and to be honest I find it hard to even be critical of him in the slightest because I've seen in his career he always ends up being right, however:

This quote worries me, more than likely this is just what he is saying in the media but they're working on it privately but this level of stubbornness on this issue is unnerving. This isn't about style of play. I see set-pieces almost as mini-games within a game of football, with a different tool set required to win and we are getting beaten badly consistently. He says he's never had a set-piece coach before, yeah that's because in Australia you're working on a shoestring budget and training in parks, you've now got the funds and facilities you've always dreamed of - use it!

Saw a quote today that his Celtic team were one of the worst in the league for conceding at set pieces in his 1st season then went onto be the best in the following season so not too worried just yet.

I personally see it a little differently.

If you give the media an inch they will take a mile.

Ange is pushing back as the optics works on two fronts:
1) He won't be manipulated/controlled by media narratives. He is his own man.
2) He maintains respect in the dressing room by standing his ground

It's a downhill slope when you let the media get into your head and change your approach. Then you start to doubt yourself, it then permeates through the club and before you know it you're out on your ass.

Look at how ETH has succumbed to all the pressure. He's in freefall.

It's a downhill slope when you let the media get into your head and change your approach. Then you start to doubt yourself, it then permeates through the club and before you know it you're out on your ass.

He will appear to be the most stubborn man alive in front of the media, like levels of obstinance that will make you scratch your head, to prove to the chicken scratching journalists that he won't let them drive his team in their direction.

Like someone else mentioned it is performance art for the journos and another story on the training ground.

If you guys don't want Ange, I'll take him at Porto. I've wanted him there since his Brisbane Roar days. Tottenham will come good, just give him the time and support. I can't believe how much people are freaking out. Tottenham are 5th after losing one of the best strikers in the world.

Hes a stubborn and naive manager but until Spurs try and compete for the best players we aint winning anything.

You can see who the ambitious clubs are in this league. Albeit some are ambitious and stupid (united, Chelsea). But without ambition youll achieve nothing.

Spurs just are not aggressive or ambitious enough in the transfer market to every be a big club.

Hes a stubborn and naive manager but until Spurs try and compete for the best players we aint winning anything.

You can see who the ambitious clubs are in this league. Albeit some are ambitious and stupid (united, Chelsea). But without ambition youll achieve nothing.

Spurs just are not aggressive or ambitious enough in the transfer market to every be a big club.
Not just in the transfer market, there’s no culture or push to win day to day from the top eg the operations and leadership. More to it than not signing a few good players

The clubs board want money and commercial success - no strategy or drive to win and achieve things as a priority. Football is a secondary nice to have, the only time we finish top is the ticket
pricing table

24 years of fuck all success and pummelling from rivals, meme club. Not shit, doing ok - but never taking risks and always folding when it matters and taking dick

I think you’re probably correct, although I feel like it’s less of a media narrative and more a fan one, and more simply it’s a fact. Our set piece defending has been abhorrent, but you’re right I think behind closed doors he’d be on top of it, however I would have hoped for some improvement in that area in the past 4 months.

If you guys don't want Ange, I'll take him at Porto. I've wanted him there since his Brisbane Roar days. Tottenham will come good, just give him the time and support. I can't believe how much people are freaking out. Tottenham are 5th after losing one of the best strikers in the world.

Would love (Brazillian) Pepe on the wing here mate. Unfortunately, his release clause is too much for Baldy.

to show why set pieces are important
I've only coached at lower levels 6yr olds to 18 yrs and girls & women of all ages
I would spend 10-15 mins at the end on 3 kick off moves, & 2 throw-in moves
you only hope to get 1 kickoff in a game, so why spend time on move/set piece-- the reason was most times we would get a good shot on goal and normally from 6 to 13 yr olds we would get a goal, so you are one nil up in mins of game starting
what Brentford they have a kick off move, 2 players take kick off (everyone geared for left side cavlery charge but the 2 at kick off dance/pass stright down middle, think I've seen it twice once a corner other time save
there are a few teams in league one that have kick off moves
yes all pro matches are on TV so everyone see's your kick off/throw in's, but that is why with the same people you have 3 different moves/plays

Money?
Prestige..?

some extra games in the mid week to roll out the new 'strategies' ?

/// Do you want him sacked?

I want him sacked if we keep playing this boring predictable style/.
passing & more side way passing with no shots on target. be gone.

I don’t care about money nor prestige

We’d get extra games finishing 6th, maybe even 7th.

There is one game left to care about and that’s Chelsea. That monkey needs to come off our back. We got outdone in the dark arts by cheating Oliver and the goons. We got skanked by VAR when we played Chelsea last.

Remember when Kane was breaking through and players repeatedly got away with targeting his ankles? Remember when Maddison was targeted this season until he went off injured against Chelsea?

I fucking do and I’m done with this league. I have one request of this team and that we are prepared to do WHATEVER it takes to win this game. I don’t care what they do, I don’t care how many red cards they have to risk. I don’t care if golden boy Palmer is out the rest of the season and misses the Euros.

Back
Top Bottom