An interesting thought....

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whether Villas Boas career from now last 5 years, 10 years or 20 - he will over the course of it win more trophies than THFC.
Do you have a time machine? How do you know this?

We'll all look back and wonder why the fuck he couldn't achieve it at Spurs.
You will, but I refuse to waste energy on "what could have been" and I suspect that most fans will be looking forward like me and not hanging on to a lost chance like you.
I won't say I told you so, because I'm telling you now.
For what purpose? The post you quoted makes it pretty clear that I don't care a crap about what might have happened. AVB isn't coming back. Whatever he wins elsewhere it won't be with us, so what does it matter? You've turned your wish that he has stayed into a bizarre emotional grudge that you seem to need personal vindication on. I just don't get that at all.

By all means let's look to the future and agree that Sherwood isn't the man for it. But why waste energy on something that's now an impossibility?

That was in 2009/10......what the fuck are you going on about????

The claim was I would be proven wrong in the future regarding AVB. I mentioned that even when AVB had us playing well and in the top 4, that he was being mugged off by players who historically let you down season after season. So I was proven right about AVB putting faith in the wrong set of players...And if all someone has is "you will be wrong in the future" then I can't really say anything about that can I? The present has a manager with no qualifications doing a marginally better job.

Personally I hope he blows all of his fortune following his Dakar Rally dream. He probably thinks he knows the answer to be a success at that too. I can see his pit crew facepalming themselves through 3 hours slideshows while their best mechanic is building go carts with the kids.

Tim got us scoring (Ade).
No he hasn't. He brought back a player from the wilderness, a player who had a falling out with the previous manager and is invested in repaying the current one with loyalty and effort. That's not genius management. Otherwise there has been no huge improvement in the rest of the players, the style of play or even the formations and Sherwood hasn't gotten any of the others scoring a lot more, including our other strikers.

Take the rose tinted glasses off.

Do you have a time machine? How do you know this?

He better win all that shit quick because AVB last year said he only wants to manage for the next 5-10 years. Because he is an odd little man who lies a lot.

avb-415519.jpg

No he hasn't. He brought back a player from the wilderness, a player who had a falling out with the previous manager and is invested in repaying the current one with loyalty and effort. That's not genius management. Otherwise there has been no huge improvement in the rest of the players, the style of play or even the formations and Sherwood hasn't gotten any of the others scoring a lot more, including our other strikers.

I didnt say it was genius management. I'm saying it does not take a genius to do a better job than a charlatan.

Eriksen is scoring/creating, Soldado just scored and has been involved in a lot of recent wins when started and he's brought in Bentaleb who has shown value. Sherwood just won a game AFTER a Europa game which is a miracle.

By the way: Rose tinted glasses? I'm claiming Tim will get sacked for the same reason AVB did (Putting faith in our English players). How is that rose tinted? I'm about as brutal as it gets with cold truths. I only concentrate at the cracks of the club. And if he keeps playing the Lennons, Roses, Townsends and Naughtons the ever present soft Spurs will do for him like Bent, Bentley, Hudd etc did for Ramos.

What forums want to be told that our English players like Defoe, Townsend, Rose etc make mentally weak and turn us into Soft Spurs?

What forums want to be told that our English players like Defoe, Townsend, Rose etc make mentally weak and turn us into Soft Spurs?
I, for one, have no problem with people criticising English players. I get rather sick of this attitude that pervades in the English game and in the press that English players are special and we don't have enough of them. It comes across with an uncomfortable hint of xenophobia.

But, at the same time, I'm not sure that grouping all English players together as the weak link is necessarily true. I do think there is a culture of laziness with some of them, but I think this is more due to the influence of the current British mentality of "do just enough" that exists in many levels of our society than it is because they aren't talented. But there are certainly exceptions to this so I'm not sure I want to brush aside all the players you list as being some sort of cancer that is preventing us from getting better.

Tim got us scoring (Ade). Don't get me wrong, Tim will be sacked because he thinks Rose, Lennon, Townsend, Fryers and Naughton are good enough. But I would take him over AVB because he's not as ginger.

We have scored the exact same amount of goals per game with AVB this season, you have to do to 3 decimal places to find a difference

I, for one, have no problem with people criticising English players. I get rather sick of this attitude that pervades in the English game and in the press that English players are special and we don't have enough of them. It comes across with an uncomfortable hint of xenophobia.

But, at the same time, I'm not sure that grouping all English players together as the weak link is necessarily true. I do think there is a culture of laziness with some of them, but I think this is more due to the influence of the current British mentality of "do just enough" that exists in many levels of our society than it is because they aren't talented. But there are certainly exceptions to this so I'm not sure I want to brush aside all the players you list as being some sort of cancer that is preventing us from getting better.

IMO Daws and Walker are assets to the club. Daws would not start if I were manager, but he is great backup. Walker is an absolute beast. I like his will to win even when we are getting hammered, he won't hide and withdraw. The rest are mostly CLASSIC soft Spurs. All flash, skill and no end product with a soft underbelly and weak mentality. Kane and Livermore are a bit of a grey area. They are like a DM/striker version of Daws. Throwback player that you wish would just...tip...over..the edge...of quality. (but its never going to happen)

But yeah, Townsend, Rose, Naughton, Lennon, Defoe, Carroll etc. All soft Spurs, look great on the ball but make you paper thin off it and compound issues like attacking/defending free kicks. I wish a Canadian rapper would convince them all to leave Spurs as they kiss the badge. Are there any rappers in Leeds for Lennon?

We have scored the exact same amount of goals per game with AVB this season, you have to do to 3 decimal places to find a difference

You have some pretty shitty European teams to pad your stats with. And "got" us scoring is past tense and was a ref to his start in the prem when we were having a problem.

You have some pretty shitty European teams to pad your stats with. And "got" us scoring is past tense and was a ref to his start in the prem when we were having a problem.

Sherwood has played more games against relegation fodder and less against top 4 rivals, it's all irrelevant.

Even if you take out the Euro games, we still had around 1 goal a game - don't be fooled into thinking we've won more than one game by 4 goal under Sherwood..

Yeah but specifically in the prem, then you bring up all comps, which are less important than the prem, and he drew Woolwich away in one and he's further on in the Europa which = stiffer teams.

Do you think Tim will have a worse average goal record than AVB in the prem by the end of the season? Yes or No?

Yeah but specifically in the prem, then you bring up all comps, which are less important than the prem, and he drew Woolwich away in one and he's further on in the Europa which = stiffer teams.

Do you think Tim will have a worse average goal record than AVB in the prem by the end of the season? Yes or No?

I don't think it's fair to discount cups just because Tim got us knocked out of both domestic cups and we were very lucky with Jan-gate in the EL.

It's difficult to predict as anything could happen, but Tim has the advantage of a team that has play 3/4 of a season together, rather than a handful of games.

The point was mainly that you can't say that we're scoring more if we're not scoring more...
:leaveityeah:

It's difficult to predict as anything could happen

I don't think it's difficult to predict if you go on evidence: Defoe, Ade and Soldado going on career low goal scoring runs under AVB on one side. And on the other Ade is scoring/assisting and Soldado is getting more involved under Tim. I mean all evidence points to Soldado having the opportunity to miss sitters etc, he did not get much of that under AVB.

I don't think many people would bet AGAINST Sherwood bettering AVB's prem goal scoring average by the end of the season.

I don't think it's difficult to predict if you go on evidence: Defoe, Ade and Soldado going on career low goal scoring runs under AVB on one side. And on the other Ade is scoring/assisting and Soldado is getting more involved under Tim. I mean all evidence points to Soldado having the opportunity to miss sitters etc, he did not get much of that under AVB.

I don't think many people would bet AGAINST Sherwood bettering AVB's prem goal scoring average by the end of the season.

No of course no one who is a fan would wish against it either, nor is that the message, but the idea is that as a fan base we remain realistic about what is happening and try not to get too carried away with believing we've turned a corner (as not much has changed yet)

No of course no one who is a fan would wish against it either, nor is that the message, but the idea is that as a fan base we remain realistic about what is happening and try not to get too carried away with believing we've turned a corner (as not much has changed yet)

There is a positive tangible difference between Sherwood and AVB. It's called an Adebayore.

There is a positive tangible difference between Sherwood and AVB. It's called an Adebayore.

That's the problem that will hinder AVB, I can't see him being capable of handling the egos of higher tier football as there's no justification that he can offer - he's younger than some players still playing, had no playing career and, worst of all, seems to have a complex based on that.

He'd probably be a far better manager if he were more self-aware, learning from his peers and his errors, but he doesn't seem to have been able to do that. I don't think bad of him for that, as we haven't been too damaged as a result of any of it in all reality and I'm sure it will end up being a piece of the puzzle that makes up the bigger picture.

It's just unfortunate that Adebayor is our 'hero' of sorts at this time, as if he goes off on a tangent or gets volatile/injured, we've not got much hope - the AVB team had little reliance on strikers for success, but this Sherwood Spurs have been heavily (but not necessarily completely) dependant on Adebayor.

Either way, to the point in hand, the fact that we're not completely throwing games away by playing shit with questionable tactics is a good sign, as perhaps our lowest ebb is 5th place - meaning that an on form spurs (haven't seen one in a while!) should be able to beat most teams on the day, even without Gareth Bale. I'm glad that we're not so one sided now though, I'd love for us to be a successful squad team again rather than the Bale show as we need to be bigger than one player.

Back
Top Bottom