Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Defoe can be very useful from the bench. Starting games though, not for me. Soldado was bought because he has being scoring at the highest level for years. Defoe has been a nearly man for years.

Adebayor can do one. Talented, but attitude doesn't match his wage or the rest of the squad.

I'm pretty sure Defoe would be able to speak English if he was born in Germany with a British father who lived on a British RAF base ?

Incidentally what were the questions defoe was asked?
You missed the point, it's not just Holtby (who granted is half English) though is it. How many players that have come from the likes of Scandinavia, Germany, the Netherlands are pretty articulate when it comes to speaking English plus they show a modicum of intelligence.

Stick Vertoghen, Eriksen and Holtby in front of an interviewer and you will see and hear them respond in a clearly intelligent way rather than the stock footballer responses. Considering they are not from native english speaking backgrounds they do a very good job of communicating with us. Having listened to Eriksen being interviewed after the Norwich game I was impressed with what he said about coming to the club and he didn't answer in typical footballer cliches.

Take a leaf, Ade!
Kaka refuses Milan salary,

Have any journalists asked Adebayor if he is getting paid for his time off? All the stuff I read said that he was in Africa with Tottenham's blessing and co-operation. Doesn't mean they are paying him though.

I'm sure with Levy's reputation for negotiation that our players contracts won't allow them to just take two months off when they feel like it.
I would be very surprised if he was getting paid by Spurs while on compassionate leave, but having never seen a footballers contract I can only judge by what I know in the industries I have worked in.
You can't just decide not to work for two months and expect to be paid. If footballers can do that then another part of my love for the game has gone.

Management's dream come true must surely be a worker who so loves management that he cuts the price of his own labour power.

(I wonder if Milan weren't also indemnified against Kaká's injuries. He returns the salary and they collect from the insurers…)

Management's dream come true must surely be a worker who so loves management that he cuts the price of his own labour power.

(I wonder if Milan weren't also indemnified against Kaká's injuries. He returns the salary and they collect from the insurers…)
Are you suggesting that Milan are double dipping: (that fine upstanding Italian club)

No offence to anyone, but this debate is getting so very boring. He's a Spurs player, he probably will be for another 9 months at the very least, and unlike last year he has some proper competition for his place and won't be relied on as much this time out. With that in mind, can we please stop dissecting his wages and his motivation and just fucking get behind him and hope he pulls more performances like the end of last season out of the bag as he attempts to crack the first team again? Is that so unreasonable a request?

Are you suggesting that Milan are double dipping: (that fine upstanding Italian club)
I'm just speculating. But if I were to insure a player, I would not only insure against wages in case of injury but also against potential loss of revenue in terms of tickets unsold, points dropped, etc. for not having the player in my side. I don't know if that's how it's done, but I'd try to do that. Kaká may return his wages, but that Milan might be losing more than just that by not having him play. (They could also be paying a high tax rate as well because of his high wages, for example)

I'm just speculating. But if I were to insure a player, I would not only insure against wages in case of injury but also against potential loss of revenue in terms of tickets unsold, points dropped, etc. for not having the player in my side. I don't know if that's how it's done, but I'd try to do that. Kaká may return his wages, but that Milan might be losing more than just that by not having him play. (They could also be paying a high tax rate as well because of his high wages, for example)
?
How are they losing if he's refusing to take his wages?

No offence to anyone, but this debate is getting so very boring. He's a Spurs player, he probably will be for another 9 months at the very least, and unlike last year he has some proper competition for his place and won't be relied on as much this time out. With that in mind, can we please stop dissecting his wages and his motivation and just fucking get behind him and hope he pulls more performances like the end of last season out of the bag as he attempts to crack the first team again? Is that so unreasonable a request?

Yes.

?
How are they losing if he's refusing to take his wages?
"Losing" refers to the revenue Milan lose because Kaká isn't playing. So they aren't losing because he's refusing his wages. They're losing because he's not playing. The question is whether his returning his wages covers what Milan believe they are losing with him out for a month (or whatever), which is why I speculated that they're probably insured for a sum greater than his wages.

Another way: Kaká costs the club €n a month in wages, etc. It may be the case that the club believe that having Kaká on their side, in terms of exposure, tickets sold, points won in matches, etc., is worth €m a month. So if the club were to insure itself against an injury to Kaká, surely the value they would put on it is €m a month, not €n. Now it may be the case that m = n. But it's not crazy to assume that m > n. So with Kaká out, they pay him n, but still receive m from the insurer. With Kaká's refusing his wages, it'd be pretty slick if they now make m + n. But I don't know. Hence, I'm speculating.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Adebayor. It seems to me he's had a lot of personal setbacks over the last season or so. Firstly, the lack of a pre-season last season, then the injury, then the African Cup of Nations and the nonsense surrounding his late return
WHOOAAAAA THERE!

Are you even serious? Setbacks? His lack of preseason was down to him not preparing himself. He knew he was leaving Citeh and should have been training hard to make sure he was ready to come back to Spurs (Note JD taking double sessions in his own time to ensure he is ready for the season by comparison).

Now I'm starting to even bore myself with this speech but if you're going to say "Poor Ade" for being a lazy cunt then I have to retort. He made his own decision not to train properly, regardless of whether it was with the youth team, in the park with mates or down the gym, he made himself unavailable for the start of the season despite his eye watering salary, it doesn't get any lazier or unprofessional.

The injury may have been down to trying to bring him into games too quickly as we desperately needed him and he wasn't ready, or just one of those things. But he took an extraordinary time to come back from a minor injury BECAUSE HE STILL WASN'T FIT!!!

When he finally does come back he looks disinterested for about a month or two and then fucks off to Africa... Where he decides to take an extra weeks holiday in Togo after doing sweet FA in the ACN. The bloke is having an absolute rascal at our expense.

@ WookieD WookieD That's one way to look at it. You don't hear any of his teammates or the coaching staff criticizing him for any of the things you accuse him of, though. That's not to say you're wrong. You might be right.

But I'm giving him another chance and the benefit of the doubt.

Also, don't you think you're being a tad over the top in calling the guy the C word?

@ WookieD WookieD That's one way to look at it. You don't hear any of his teammates or the coaching staff criticizing him for any of the things you accuse him of, though. That's not to say you're wrong. You might be right.

But I'm giving him another chance and the benefit of the doubt.

Also, don't you think you're being a tad over the top in calling the guy the C word?
Not really mate, no. He is being paid ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POUNDS A WEEK... The coaching staff aren't going to come out guns blazing after we have literally just signed him (last season) and AVB is more intelligent than to air his laundry in public. You don't think being relegated to train with the reserves doesn't say all you need to know about what he thinks of Ade's attitude to pre season?

Or maybe bringing a player back to fitness through the reserves is normal... Didn't see Holtby / Sandro / Kaboul kept out of training though... Let's just see how many games he gets this season whilst we still have Soldado and Defoe available, that'll answer the question.

I'm all for giving players a chance and was actually happy to see him come in. However, Ade is literally doing a Winston Bogarde to us and couldn't give less of a shit, I don't see why I should support that. Not least when he is our highest earner?

He recently seems very positive and quite eager to play again.
Something must have been resolved since we abandoned Marica and that AVB said Ade will be back to first team training next week.

I don't know ... for some reason I am actually looking forward to see him once again in the lilywhite. It's been a while, so I hope he is a changed person now. Hopefully the lack of game/involvement has put more motivation in him.

On his day ... he can be a very different player, though a pretty good alternative to Soldado and Defoe. :adegrin:

I'm very happy he's still a Tottenham player and I think over the course of the season he could prove to be extremely useful. He offers something completely different to Defoe and Soldado and could turn games around for us.

Back
Top Bottom