#33 We won the league in black and white

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

About 20 min in, I was thinking.. oh.. they've only gone and toned it down for a nice, upstanding gentleman like Rob White. Well done to.............oh dear, he's talking about fucking Trunk's mum.. nvm.

:bae:

Mike in Parma said:
About 20 min in, I was thinking.. oh.. they've only gone and toned it down for a nice, upstanding gentleman like Rob White. Well done to.............oh dear, he's talking about fucking Trunk's mum.. nvm.

:bae:
More or less my exact reaction.

ChicagoDan said:
Flav said:
I hate Woolwich as much as I love Spurs.

Again, if you grew up around them giving you constant verbal you'd feel the same. If you didn't you wouldn't.

I think that's an absolute bullshit statement. As I've said, I grew up in a very similar situation but for the fact that the throngs of intolerable fans I had to deal with supported a team that never won anything and still managed to have some sort of superiority complex. Yet, I will ALWAYS take a positive result for the White Sox over a poor result for the Cubs. The phrase 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' comes to mind.

All fans are different. Woolwich fans are a particular breed of cunt.

Plus you're confusing me with someone who craves success over the principles by which I support our club. A moment's success wouldn't override 20 years of pent-up hatred.

I started a thread in General Football that discusses this issue specifically. I'm on Flav and T's side, and I think that's a logically consistent side to be on w/o having to say 'I need hate in my life to provide me with fuel'. Though that is, of course, also true.

Flav said:
ChicagoDan said:
Flav said:
I hate Woolwich as much as I love Spurs.

Again, if you grew up around them giving you constant verbal you'd feel the same. If you didn't you wouldn't.

I think that's an absolute bullshit statement. As I've said, I grew up in a very similar situation but for the fact that the throngs of intolerable fans I had to deal with supported a team that never won anything and still managed to have some sort of superiority complex. Yet, I will ALWAYS take a positive result for the White Sox over a poor result for the Cubs. The phrase 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' comes to mind.

All fans are different. Woolwich fans are a particular breed of cunt.

Plus you're confusing me with someone who craves success over the principles by which I support our club. A moment's success wouldn't override 20 years of pent-up hatred.

If that's the case then you are first and foremost a supporter of whichever team plays Woolwich and secondarily a fan of Tottenham. You can't have it both ways. It all just sounds like a lot of chest pounding to me.

There's little more to our back and forth than you saying that you would support Woolwich to further Tottenham's gain, and I'm saying that I wouldn't. If Woolwich won and it benefitted Tottenham then I wouldn't think 'oh fucking hell', I'll backtrack a little there, but I'm surprised that any Spurs fan could watch a scum game and wish them well, purely because it may benefit our plight (ignoring the pointless 'if Spurs could win the league' rhetoric). It's only chest pumping if wasn't being sincere. I reckon you know that I am.

If I learned one thing in my masters degree (and that's questionable) it's that people should strive for that result which is in their own best interest. Frankly, I think there is a difference between 'supporting / cheering for / celebrating' a scum result and simply hoping that A result from another match goes in Spurs favor (with no 'U').

Perhaps it's just the difference between Principle and Pragmatism. :beer:

I'm on TehJack's and Dan's side on this. Winning the LEAGUE or if that meant the Scum had to win a match? Yes please.?

What kind of question is that? THE FUCKING LEAGUE! I'm more or less certain that I'll never see Spurs win the league in my lifetime, and I'm fine with that. And if we had a big money russian or the like, sweep in and spend a stupid amount of money for us to win the league I couldn't enjoy it at all.

I truly love Tottenham with all my heart, and I want all the good in the world to happen to the club. Nothing would make me happier.

My love for Spurs is immeasurable bigger than my hatred for the scum or any other club. For me that's exactly what this question boils down to. Would I sit cheering as Woolwich scored? No, I wouldn't watch it, I'd be to fucking nervous over the prospect over seeing Spurs win the league. Honestly, how is this a question?

LOVE THE SHIRT! :rafaaaa:

ChicagoDan said:
If I learned one thing in my masters degree (and that's questionable) it's that people should strive for that result which is in their own best interest. Frankly, I think there is a difference between 'supporting / cheering for / celebrating' a scum result and simply hoping that A result from another match goes in Spurs favor (with no 'U').

britain stood alone against fascism, after poland was invaded by germany, out of principle.
usa joined the war against fascism, after pearl harbour (with a 'u') was bombed by japan, out of pragmatism.

Leroy said:
Fuck all this soggy biscuit bullshit, I think I've realised something more important... Was this the first episode that Ricky's mum didn't get a battering?
we were on our best behaviour for Rob. :bae:

Éperons said:
Shame it took an invasion of Poland for Britain to realise it was against fascism.

britain was treaty-bound to intervene. britain honoured that treaty. britain didn't wait to be attacked directly before declaring war.

ZoC said:
britain was treaty-bound to intervene.
Right, but neither they nor France managed a whole lot while Poland was carved up between Germany and the USSR in 1939.

My point is merely that it's hard to call Britain's declaration of war as evidence of being against fascism out of principle. They were treaty-bound, as you point out, and they had ignored previous opportunities to show their anti-fascist principles, most notably in Spain.

Éperons said:
ZoC said:
Right, but neither they nor France managed a whole lot while Poland was carved up between Germany and the USSR in 1939.

My point is merely that it's hard to call Britain's declaration of war as evidence of being against fascism out of principle. They were treaty-bound, as you point out, and they had ignored previous opportunities to show their anti-fascist principles, most notably in Spain.

look, eperons. i fucking hate woolwich out of principle, for wot they've done to my ancestral homelands; so please forgive me if i resort to semantic trickery to get my point across.

ZoC said:
ChicagoDan said:

britain stood alone against fascism, after poland was invaded by germany, out of principle.
usa joined the war against fascism, after pearl harbour (with a 'u') was bombed by japan, out of pragmatism.

Wait...is this meant to be some sort of argument against what I've just said? Besides the fact that Britain got involved for many more reasons than principle (not sure how this turned to WWII???), I think your statement completely validates what I've just said. Since when are reason and pragmatism to be looked down upon?

ZoC said:
Éperons said:
ZoC said:

look, eperons. i fucking hate woolwich out of principle, for wot they've done to my ancestral homelands; so please forgive me if i resort to semantic trickery to get my point across.

You were being cunty to Dan and got served.

Take it like a man, or ricky's mum at least.

Back
Top Bottom