#16 The dark days are over

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

By far the best podcast yet boys!

Couldn't find any fault to any input, and the episode flowed well from one topic to the next. If any episode propels the show into the stratosphere, I hope it's this one.

A Quick point on Pienaar:
I'm a Spur living in South Africa (hence the toats ironiek name) and you can't buy Tottenham shirts ANYWHERE. Believe me, I've tried. I still have to get my Granddad (proper yiddo) to bring one every time he flies over here on his holidays.

Has anyone considered he and Khumalo were bought for their merit to the team?

EDIT: I also loved Thelonious' Segment where he spoke to the nurse about 'Arry's heart procedure. Perhaps there could be a new segment where Thelonious Talks to professionals about Tottenham affairs (with its own jingle, please)? Physios about injuries, an agent about transfers, maybe the next one could be to a lawyer talking about Harrys impending trial?

Just a thought.

Just got round to listening to this podcast, on the subject of Jol. There wasn't a lot of songs sung during the match as such. But there was a fair few before the game whilst having a pint at the ground. I only just found my recording in my memo bit on my phone!

Here is one song... excuse the woman next to me, she's obviously tone deaf. We had a few songs back and forth.

[mp3]http://dw4.convertfiles.com/files/0953319001321321143/memo.mp3[/mp3]

Just to say, this is the best episode yet.

Spot on about so many points debated, especially the club versus country discussion. Fifteen years ago, I might have had an England World Cup win on a par with a Spurs Premier League title. However, the apparent lack of passion of the England team, combined with the increased tribalism of supporting your own club has made me apathetic towards international football.

Also, a few of you made great points about the nationalistic nature of supporting England. It's riddled with racism and EDL-type intolerance and imperialist jingoism. I don't want to be associated with that any more. I now cringe when I hear Rule Britannia when I quite happily used to sing it. It's unfortunate that I still see and hear some similar intolerance at WHL, especially in the Park Lane bar at half time when I hear fans racially abuse bar staff, but at least supporting Spurs is about the football. Supporting England is so often more than that. Supporting England seems to be to support that Little Britain mentality, which jars with me now I'm well into my mid-thirties.

I also think we're spoiled by the quality of club football nowadays and, given the high stakes, it's more important to me that our international players return fit than play well for England.

Would any Spurs fan nowadays trade our destruction of Inter Milan for a similar performance by England? I doubt it.

I'm still a moderately-interested England fan and I want to see them do well, but it's well down my list of priorities nowadays.

Great work and keep it up.

Loved the podcast.
Just wanted to say, the female version of Movember takes place at the start of the year and is apparently called 'Fanuary'
Just don't tell your missus yeah?

Talking about the whole thing with pubs turning a bit nasty when England get knocked out of tournaments (I think Spooky mentioned it). It always gets like that round my way when England get knocked out and it reminded me of a few years back when Portugal knocked us out of Euro 2004 and Postiga scored for them.
There was a young guy in the pub with a Spurs shirt on with Postiga on the back, and when England lost someone glassed him! Bit over the top maybe......

After England France 2004 it all kicked off in the pub I was working in. We had 2 doormen who were doing their first shift and 850 people in the pub. I ended up on the door while the doormen kicked people out after the game.

One guy was chucked out for balancing a bar stool on his chin. Impressive, but it weighed a ton and would've knocked someone out cold if it fell on their head. He was told to stop, didn't and got kicked out.

A few 'fans' just caused mayhem outside and starting smashing car windows and then they started on bar stool guy who was trying to get back in.

We locked the pub as riot police were now out in force all round town dealing with about 50 odd people. Bar stool guy wanted to get back in to the locked pub that he smashed all the windows with his fists... Well he tried to.

When he couldn't get through the safety glass with his hands, he used his head. Smashed the glass and all his hands and face were shredded.

He then climbed through the window, but was only wearing a pair of England Shorts (he had a full kit on... Must've been a Gooner)... The jagged glass on the window frame cut the backs of his thighs as he climbed through.

Once inside he grabbed a few glasses and bottles and was about to start throwing them when he collapsed from loss of blood I guess.

Ambulance took nearly 40mins because they were all needed elsewhere.

Police arrested him and took nearly an hour to arrive.

Best bit was he pleaded not guilty to criminal damage despite their being video evidence of him putting his head through 2 windows.

And this is why I avoid going to the pub for competitive England games

I rarely go pubs for any matches, I just hate people.

I try to ensure the pub is in a relatively safe area, probably why I've never seen it kick off like that.

That day a pub around the corner had its bar literally ripped out by 'fans' and bottles thrown at the bar staff.

The staff ran to the flat upstairs and locked the door for their safety.

A police officer was in intensive care for a week after that game.

It's a fucking football game that we lost by a goal... And it was only the first game of the group!

As you said, There's now only a handful of pubs I'll watch a game in... And since I moved to islington I won't watch a spurs game out.

Happened to be in the pub when Andy Carroll scored against Woolwich for Newcastle last season... Instinctively got up and shouted, forgetting I was in Islington and the pub was full of Gooners

Sibs said:
That day a pub around the corner had its bar literally ripped out by 'fans' and bottles thrown at the bar staff.

The staff ran to the flat upstairs and locked the door for their safety.

A police officer was in intensive care for a week after that game.

It's a fucking football game that we lost by a goal... And it was only the first game of the group!

As you said, There's now only a handful of pubs I'll watch a game in... And since I moved to islington I won't watch a spurs game out.

Happened to be in the pub when Andy Carroll scored against a***nal for Newcastle last season... Instinctively got up and shouted, forgetting I was in Islington and the pub was full of Gooners

Bloody hell, that must have been a quiet pub, and the smell must have been awful!

Are you guys going out earlyish? I could meet for a pint somewhere nearby beforehand, but got other plans later on Friday night.

Why no Villa? I booked late. Family Stand for me and brother... Sigh

Probably, I'll PM you my number. If you're around, all are welcome.

I'm very very poor. Alas no Villa.

Guys, very much enjoyed Episode 16, lots of valid points - seemed a bit more grown up than usual, especially towards the end - not sure if that was intentional or not.............

Sibs' bit about the war was awesome and I like the effort he put into the research about various Spurs players.

Love the shirt

Just listened to this episode again and remembered something about Pienaar that hasn't come up yet.

When we brought him last January, weren't we all but certain to lose Krancjar? Both him and his agent said he wanted to go, but Levy wanted to make some money - £8M, when we signed him for £2-3M.

I always presumed that Pienaar (as well as the SA connections) was meant to be a cheap replacement for Krancjar

Back
Top Bottom