#16 The dark days are over

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Admin

The Fighting Cock
Omnipotent
[mp3]http://dml23.squarespace.com/storage/the-fc-podcast/FightingCockPodcastEpisode16.mp3[/mp3]

[download]http://dml23.squarespace.com/storage/the-fc-podcast/FightingCockPodcastEpisode16.mp3[/download]

Brilliant summary of some Spurs fans... Completely agree.

Especially the point about Palacious. Some seemed to of forgotten that his brother was savagely murdered leading up to the string of his poor performances. If I found out my Brother had been kidnapped and murdered, I'm not sure I'd be able to function that successfully at work either.

At the time, there was plenty of suggestion/rumour that construction workers/electricians/plumbers etc all left Spurs (possibly other clubs goo) stuff buried in there.

Leroy Mamrtin said:
Brilliant summary of some Spurs fans... Completely agree.

Especially the point about Palacious. Some seemed to of forgotten that his brother was savagely murdered leading up to the string of his poor performances. If I found out my Brother had been kidnapped and murdered, I'm not sure I'd be able to function that successfully at work either.

Couple of things with Palacios - firstly I think he was always massively overrated. His ability to chase the ball and put in tackles had a big effect initially - he came in when we were really timid and under-performing, and he set the tempo for the other players. Frankly, though, his overall performances were never great and once we'd got over the initial slump, he kind of became a squad player at best. That's not to say I didn't like him, as he was a very likeable guy and a good pro.

Secondly, I think the manager needs to look at himself for not taking him out of the firing line during that very tough time.

A point in this week's pod that I have to massively disagree with - Pienaar. I'm really not quite sure where this "worker" reputation has come from; he's hardly a Park Ji Sung type IMO. He was always seen as quite lazy at Everton, who are generally a very hard-working team - read some of Zonal Marking's articles about Everton; Michael Cox frequently highlighted him as a weakness to be got at.

For me, he works relatively hard to get back behind the ball (as most players do), but doesn't get close enough to wingers/full backs to affect them, possibly as he is not as athletic as he looks. I realise that probably sounds odd, but essentially, because he is small and slight and looks like he should be nimble, we assume that he is Lennon-esque in terms of pace; he's not. He's actually deceptively slow and doesn't cover ground well.

I think he's a neat and tidy player - he has a relatively good touch, a relatively good football brain, and can play one and two touch passing football well - but I personally don't think he really has either the Bale/Lennon burst of pace/athleticism or the van der Vaart guile or even the Kranjcar ability to beat a man. So essentially I don't think he fits in, and I don't really know why we bought him.

I'd much rather see Kranjcar or even Townsend getting starts ahead of him if it came to it.

I don't rate either, but I would never ever shout abuse at any player wearing the lilywhite shirt.

Another great episode. Some good chat about footy & Peter North's arsehole. :ledley:

Sibs feature at the end was perfect, nice one.

Back
Top Bottom