Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any human would be.

I dont see how he would have been any happier that his dog died if he was playing abroad though.
Scott has bought the "lost Latino boy in London" bullshit hook line and sinker

Definitely.

I don't think people quite get why these players want to be in England and not Spain or Italy - some players want to be adored and supported, and there's far too much of a schitzofrenic attitude towards most players in other countries.

But why is his happiness even an issue to you?
Why dont you assume Jan would be happier abroad?

You read the rumours, based your point on it, now pretend its got nothing to do with the rumours
Because I think players should be where they are at their happiest.
I never once posted he was depressed & yet I must have believed an article about his dog etc.
Believe what you want like in the other thread where you got it 100% wrong.
& I also never said he would be happier in Italy if his dog died?!! Making up a lot tonight.

Anyway. No point us going back & forth with this al night.
I 100% believed a journalists story that lamela wants to leave because of his dog dying or whatever else you choose. I am happy to go along with it & we can both stop this little discussion.
Night!

Last edited:
I never once posted he was depressed & yet I must have believed an article about his dog etc.

"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best."

Pliny the Elder - 1973.

"Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best."

Pliny the Elder - 1973.
Yeah that makes sense.

He is less suited to our football & way of life.
This is his biggest challenge so far.
& rather than shy away from it, he was determined to beat it & be successful over here.
He has battled away very hard to achieve that.
He has had to change his game a lot too, which isn't easy.

So yes, in that sense he will get more happiness from what he is achieving & overcoming here compared to in italy.

18 months (I think) to go of his contract... all will be revealed soon.....
I can't see levy letting any good players have their contracts go under 12 months.

Last edited:
Should be pointed out that being "down in the dumps" or "having the blues" has only the most tangential of relationships, if any, with suffering from clinical depression
I agree. I don't know how many in 100 people on average are clinically depressed.
But it is clear it wouldn't match with the amount of known depressed current footballers.
I can't think of any off hand.
Or maybe they are all happy because of all that ££££!!

It would be similar to me saying there are no gays in the premiership because no one has come out.

For the record (well sammy), I am not saying lamela is gay!!

Really I was just giving my opinion into why I think the Telegraph, since the Barclay Bros took over, has become that way, and comparable to the sun - in as much as serving certain individuals.

The telegraph was always been conservative but that doesn't mean it wasn't a decent paper with good journalism.
I referred to Ogborne as he resigned as Political editor for the reasons I stated previously.
I am not really polarised politically either.
Let's just be friends :dierpochhug:
I'm good with that

There isn't a footballer in existence that wouldn't want more time on the ball. That said he excels at carrying the ball in the middle of the park, he acts as a magnet for oppo players often drawing two towards him. I have lost count the number of times he has done this and slotted a ball through to Kane who is exploiting the space by the committed players.

It just seems maybe you want him to be a different player than the one he is.
Yeah, I think he has a lot more skill that he doesn't get to show over here.

I don't think you got my point about more time on the ball, more touches, being able to express yourself more with the ball.
I would think lamela enjoy's being on the ball more than say wanyama.
I would obviously never think wanyama would particularly care too much about being able to express himself on the ball. Would never say he would be happier abroad based on that.
Of our team, I could see lamela & eriksen enjoying their football more abroad based on those reasons.

Also, your point would mean no one has ever chosen to go to a league where they get more time on the ball & more chances to show what they can do on the ball.
I think lot's of players choose teams & league's based on this.
& it is fairly common for players to be better in other leagues where you get more time on the ball.

I am just going with a hunch he would be even happier & better abroad. No offence!

Last edited:
I agree. I don't know how many in 100 people on average are clinically depressed.
But it is clear it wouldn't match with the amount of known depressed current footballers.
I can't think of any off hand.
Or maybe they are all happy because of all that ££££!!

It would be similar to me saying there are no gays in the premiership because no one has come out.

For the record (well sammy), I am not saying lamela is gay!!
Past studies in US have indicated that about 1 in 33 children and 1 in 8 adults have been diagnosed with clinical depression. Major depressive disorders impact on 6.7% of the population . (and that's what they know about!)

Past studies in US have indicated that about 1 in 33 children and 1 in 8 adults have been diagnosed with clinical depression. Major depressive disorders impact on 6.7% of the population . (and that's what they know about!)
Interesting! So there should be at least 1 per team going off those stats.
& I think there are none in the premiership that we know of.

& I also never said he would be happier in Italy if his dog died?!! Making up a lot tonight.

Anyway. No point us going back & forth with this al night.
I 100% believed a journalists story that lamela wants to leave because of his dog dying or whatever else you choose. I am happy to go along with it & we can both stop this little discussion.
Night!
The only point I'm trying to make is that you are singling out that Lamela would be happier somewhere else......yet you are very anxious to distance yourself from the rumors about his unhappiness.

It seems pretty obvious why you have started talking about that this week, and never before though.

I could be wrong, maybe you didn't pay any attention to the tabloids and your recent thoughts about him being happier in Italy has absolute zero to do with the also recent rumors about him being homesick and wanting to leave.

:kanehand:

Pliny the Elder - 1973.

“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.”
" Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat"

Which people are these? Just point them out to me
Haven't you noticed that some people want Eriksen to be more combative and Wanyama to be a little less aggressive? Certainly in the first 10 minutes of games when he looks likely to be carded. I can't point people out - it's just an observation.

Gotta go now.

All of us can debate a players attributes and how they impact the team. It's the very essence of being a supporter. Sometimes these are passionately debated on both sides. I have had my eyes opened by someone pointing out something that I hadn't seen before, I like that. Same with being rewarded by giving a player time to show and grow in a team.

I myself have held a biased view on a players, that was Dempsey, I couldn't stand him. Thought he was shit and it was almost impossible for me to be persuaded otherwise. That said I didn't have "I hate Dempsey" as part of my twitter profile, I didn't wait for him to not score for him to get a shoeing. I've never obsessed about a player I didn't like. Yet there are people who bring up a player they hate even after we win a game! Who talk about nothing else. They then build up little internet cliques, which they need because they lack confidence of their own before they launch into attacking their fellow supporters who rate him. Because they can't accept another opinion the next thing is to create a pet name for those that hold a different view, they then attempt to bully those that hold an opposing view, making it personal and no longer about the player but the individual that holds that view, attacking their credentials as a writer/blogger, how long they have supported the club for, even where they sit/stand in the stadium, if they hold an ST or not, where they live. Fortunately twitter has a block function, and I am now blissfully unaware of the bile being spun until occasionally reminded.

Seems like we are all talking about the same few morons that absolutely hate Lamela. I occasionally look at the their TLs just to see the nonsense they are spouting. It's amazing how they think they are proper 'salt of the earth' better than the supposed younger, just as passionate fan. Maybe it's due to their own insecurities of people holding a more compassionate and objective view towards a player.

Haven't you noticed that some people want Eriksen to be more combative and Wanyama to be a little less aggressive? Certainly in the first 10 minutes of games when he looks likely to be carded. I can't point people out - it's just an observation.

Gotta go now.
'twas a joke

Lols, the presumption is strong in this thread.

It's one thing trying to speculate on the managers thought process when choosing a formation or match day squad, but postulating over a players state of mind and mental well being is next level.

Feel free to debate, but realise that your conviction can only be validated by one person and that is Lamela himself.

Feel free to debate, but realise that your conviction can only be validated by one person and that is Lamela himself.

Thats why I dont get assuming someone would be happier somewhere else, if they have never said, or shown anything that points to that.

The only reason that idea came about is because of a tweet from a journo that led to online tabloids claiming Lamela is homesick.

Fucking nonsense as per

The only point I'm trying to make is that you are singling out that Lamela would be happier somewhere else......yet you are very anxious to distance yourself from the rumors about his unhappiness.

It seems pretty obvious why you have started talking about that this week, and never before though.

I could be wrong, maybe you didn't pay any attention to the tabloids and your recent thoughts about him being happier in Italy has absolute zero to do with the also recent rumors about him being homesick and wanting to leave.

:kanehand:
Nah, well over a year ago I had this same view.
It has been mentioned most of the time he has been here.
Obviously it was being discussed a lot this week. So I joined in the discussion as it is more relevant at the moment.

He has been the only regular starter that I feel is trying real hard to make it work here (on & off the pitch), as opposed to it coming naturally.
Just a little hunch & feeling I get.
Obviously, none of us know this or if he has depression or not. & I don't know how some random journalist would know either.

You can train & play with it.
I would never say some footballer is 100% clinically depressed or not unless they say they are.

Equally you are going with your feeling that all is well & he is very happy over here without knowing for sure.

& even though he is coming back & training etc.
I still maintain he would be so much happier back in Italy. Not changing that view.
& I don't know what him coming back proves.
Even if I thought he was homesick or whatever.
It isn't like he was going to refuse to come back & go on some sort of strike.

If you thought I believed the dog stories etc then that is up to you.
But I honestly don't care how I am viewed by a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.
1+1=3. Oh my, how will I live with the shame of getting that wrong.
Be tough to show my face on here again.
I couldn't care less.

Not 1 post of me saying he is clinically depressed or wants to leave because of his dog or what ever etc.

You made all those leaps & assumptions.
Just like you did on the other thread where you want on a rant about being me ungrateful for a lack of trophies.
When in fact I was the one saying I am fine with no trophies again. & it was the other poster arguing we should expect more trophies.
But again, believe I am ungrateful & expect trophies every year if it makes you happy sammy!

You seem to be good at making a lot of leaps & assumptions. A player can't be depressed or homesick if he is back in training.
You can't be happier unless you are sad to begin with.
I say I am used to us not winning trophies = I am ungrateful & expect us to win trophies all the time.
That's just the ones you made in a few posts in the last few days.

Anyway, I know what I think.

But feel free to know better than me, & believe whatever you like. I honestly don't mind.

Let's end this discussion here for the sake of all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom